Huey Long Lives!: Gov. JBE discussion thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:23:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Huey Long Lives!: Gov. JBE discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Huey Long Lives!: Gov. JBE discussion thread  (Read 8587 times)
BigSkyBob

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 03:09:56 AM »

I have to take strong exception to Rep Gene Reynolds claim that, "anything coming out of the Appropriations Committee will be no more than a rubber stamp of GOP talking points."

You sound a bit more optimistic than I'd be, but I really hope you're right. Despite the committee being woefully stacked in favor of the people's enemies, hopefully they'll put their talking points and partisanship aside.

Great observation!

Again, you make the same error as Rep Reynolds. The members of the committee are as much agents as other members of the House. Their agency ought to be respected. Part of what gives human being agency is their having principles and beliefs. If a candidate stands for office by saying that X, Y and Z are his principles by which he will govern, then, I for one, think that he ought to keep his commitment to his constituents back home. When they stood for office they had position that they stated to the voters [their "talking points,"] and they aligned themselves to the perceived ideologues of certain parties [their "partisanship."] Either, they were sincere, or, they were not.

When four members of the committee stood for office on a platform of, "No new taxes, no how, no way," either they were being sincere, or, they were not. I, personally, hope they were being sincere. And, if some Democrat ran on the platform of, "no cuts, no how, no way," I, likewise, hope they were being sincere. Being honest and sincere with the voters increases the efficiency of our democracy.  Asking them to "put aside their 'talking points' and 'partisanship' is, in the last analysis, asking them to put aside their constituents. Either their constituent's vote mattered, or it didn't.

Your comment above indicates you misunderstood what I was saying. I hope the above paragraphs clear up your misunderstanding.

When JBE proposed Walt Legier as Speaker, he did so with the understanding that Legier in turn would skew that committee towards JBE's position on taxes and spending. Someone else was elected Speaker, and, that person skewed that same committee against JBE's position. That's how politics works. JBE's whole pitch for Legier was to note to individual members that you can hop on the bandwagon or else be crushed by it. More specifically, you can support Legier or be assigned to insignificant committees. Now, certain members are finding out that hopping onto that bandwagon only made sense if it won.

What I see happening in Louisiana is the JBE wants taxes to increase, and, wants Republicans to take the political hit for raising taxes. If he wants to lead, then he ought to propose a budget with specific cuts, and specific tax increases, to balance out his proposed spending increases.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 11:27:40 AM »

^ Yeah, I see where you're going with that.

Its hard not to blame Barras for this mess. He stacked the committee with legislators that he knew would either have to do the people's work and support JBE or go back on their campaign promises. Its a really unfortunate and unfair situation to them, but I guess that what happens when you have hacks like Barras and Henry calling the shots. They should have respected JBE's agency more.

Its seems that our best hope, given that everything, is that the partisan Republicans on the committee end up being insincere when it comes to their Norquistian campaign promises.

Oh, its "Leger," by the way, not "Legier."
BigSkyBob

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 12:48:46 PM »

^ Yeah, I see where you're going with that.

Its hard not to blame Barras for this mess. He stacked the committee with legislators that he knew would either have to do the people's work and support JBE or go back on their campaign promises. Its a really unfortunate and unfair situation to them, but I guess that what happens when you have hacks like Barras and Henry calling the shots. They should have respected JBE's agency more.

Its seems that our best hope, given that everything, is that the partisan Republicans on the committee end up being insincere when it comes to their Norquistian campaign promises.

Oh, its "Leger," by the way, not "Legier."

First of all, you have completely failed to understand the concept of "agency." "Agency" is necessary to have free will. Someone who has agency has moral accountability.  The same action committed by a teenager may warrant punishment while punishing a five year-old for the same offense would be completely unfair and unjust. No one has in the slightest denied JBE agency.  When you call duly elected Representatives the "people's enemies" you at least acknowledge their agency. When Gene Reynolds called duly elected Representatives "rubber stamps" for keeping their campaign promises he did not.

I have to say that your characterization that the member of the committee have to either, "...support JBE or go back on their campaign promises" is simply wrong. They have a third option, which is to do nothing at all. Then, the budget will be balanced by spending cuts. One merely has to ask which side is hurt worse? Personally, I don't think it is the Republican side. They can simply do nothing until JBE is more willing to take cutting spending seriously.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »

^ Well, perhaps you need to do a better job of explaining all these abstract points you bring up out of nowhere. But yeah, again, I'm with you, buddy. I hope Reynolds is wrong, too. I don't see why you need to keep spinning your wheels.

At this point, we can just hope that the people's enemies on the Appropriations committee use their agency to go back on their campaign promises. Its not like the state can afford any more budget cuts, so even in doing nothing, those legislators would still be precipitating more cuts and thus subverting the interests of the state, and really their constituents.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2016, 06:13:41 PM »

Who is the tipping point voter in Louisiana's Senate/House?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2016, 04:10:47 AM »

IMHO - a pragmatic (not "ideological") conservative Republican. People like John Alario (now, As Republican) himself, or Ronnie Johns in Senate,  or Bryan Adams or Clay Schexnayder in House are all close to such voter. THE most conservative Democrats, like Francis Thompson or John Milkovich in Senate, or Mike Danahay in House are, probably, also close enough...
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 03:41:16 PM »

A lot of people are apparently angry that Edwards says LSU football might be threatened by the state's budget crisis.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2016, 06:02:38 PM »

IMHO - a pragmatic (not "ideological") conservative Republican. People like John Alario (now, As Republican) himself, or Ronnie Johns in Senate,  or Bryan Adams or Clay Schexnayder in House are all close to such voter. THE most conservative Democrats, like Francis Thompson or John Milkovich in Senate, or Mike Danahay in House are, probably, also close enough...

So, basically Kasich's agenda is the most left-wing thing Edwards and Dardenne can get passed?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2016, 12:44:00 AM »

So, basically Kasich's agenda is the most left-wing thing Edwards and Dardenne can get passed?

IMHO - yes. Of course - there is some state specific, but - generally so.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »

You should check out the comments section on the ESPN article. The amount of finger pointing is outrageous.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2016, 02:52:33 PM »

There is a 100% that LSU plays football this fall regardless of what happens in the budget. There would literally be a Revolution if it didn't happen.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »

Jindal's gutted way too much. Better this than the police, IMO.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies