Are Mary, Marry, and Merry homonyms?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:00:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are Mary, Marry, and Merry homonyms?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: See above
All three sound the same

Mary sounds different from the other two

Marry sounds different from the other two

Merry sounds different from the other two

All three sound different

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Are Mary, Marry, and Merry homonyms?  (Read 7336 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2015, 01:10:43 AM »

You pronounce, Barry, Carry, Larry, Marry, Harry the same way?  So, you call someone named Harry, "Hairy?"

Yes.

Wrong!
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2015, 01:25:32 AM »

You pronounce, Barry, Carry, Larry, Marry, Harry the same way?  So, you call someone named Harry, "Hairy?"

Yes.

Wrong!

Exactly, I agree with Bedstudy.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2015, 08:34:27 AM »

In any case, this thread is a perfect example why a fully simplified spelling reform for English is impossible. The  vowel differences between dialects prevent going to one symbol per vowel sound.

Tho that doesn't exkuze us from not simplifying konsonants. Fonic differenses between dialekts are small enuf that we koud uze just one karakter per konsonant sound. The only radical differense from exzizting konvenshuns that woud be useful is to do as some languages already do and uze 'c' for the 'ch' sound in curc if we cose to take advantage ov the fakt that we'd never use a plain 'c' otherwize if we simplified konsonants. Any kwestshuns?

I think it would bother me.  Here are three exact homonyms.  (At least the way I say them they are and I'm not looking for an argument):  their, there, and they're.

Now, when I read something like "Their going to do what?" or "There house caught on fire" on Facebook, it makes me cringe.  I think others cringe too.  Do you want to make every go around cringing all the time?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2015, 10:52:14 AM »

Yes.

Wrong!

How can I be wrong about the way I pronounce things? Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2015, 12:05:09 PM »

Yes.

Wrong!

How can I be wrong about the way I pronounce things? Tongue

Fight the good fight, Goldwater!  Down with prescriptivism!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »

They are all extremely distinguishable but Americans cannot articulate.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2015, 07:13:39 PM »

This debate reminds me of a game show clip.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Rlrx-AQbQ

Growing up, I got made fun of for the way I pronounced "Carrie".  I picked up my mom's Philadelphia accent on this one, so I didn't pronounce it "Kerry" like a normal Midwesterner.  For me, "Mary" and "Merry" are nearly homonyms, but "Marry" is clearly distinct.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »

In any case, this thread is a perfect example why a fully simplified spelling reform for English is impossible. The  vowel differences between dialects prevent going to one symbol per vowel sound.

Tho that doesn't exkuze us from not simplifying konsonants. Fonic differenses between dialekts are small enuf that we koud uze just one karakter per konsonant sound. The only radical differense from exzizting konvenshuns that woud be useful is to do as some languages already do and uze 'c' for the 'ch' sound in curc if we cose to take advantage ov the fakt that we'd never use a plain 'c' otherwize if we simplified konsonants. Any kwestshuns?

I think it would bother me.  Here are three exact homonyms.  (At least the way I say them they are and I'm not looking for an argument):  their, there, and they're.

Now, when I read something like "Their going to do what?" or "There house caught on fire" on Facebook, it makes me cringe.  I think others cringe too.  Do you want to make every go around cringing all the time?

Most homonyms that are not currently homographs are that way because of their vowels, not their consonants, so there would be no effect on most of them from simplified consonants. There are of course some exceptions from that such as "ad" and "add" but your trio of examples, they're among the homophones that wouldn't be affected.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies