Hillary Clinton 2020 like Ann Richards 1994?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:51:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Hillary Clinton 2020 like Ann Richards 1994?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton 2020 like Ann Richards 1994?  (Read 1481 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »

If Hillary Clinton wins in 2016, I can't help but wonder if 2020 would be like 1994 went for Ann Richards: despite having a strong record to run on, losing narrowly due to the national tide turning in the other direction.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 07:20:58 PM »

I'll never understand the point of thinking so far ahead.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:45:19 AM »

So, the GOP arent picking the candidates that have broad appeal to general, like Cruz in 2016. If Cruz is defeated in 2016, Tom Cotton is the nxt conservative to be nominated, she will win that too
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 08:49:18 AM »

Tom Cotton is a lunatic who scares the crap out of me.

The last five (5) incumbent Presidents to have been defeated for reelection are:  George H. W. Bush (1992), Jimmy Carter (1980), Gerald Ford (1976), Herbert Hoover (1932), and Benjamin Harrison (1892).  To that list, we can add Grover Cleveland in 1896, where he was simply not going to be renominated by his party, and in 1888, when he lost despite winning the popular vote.  In each case, there were external circumstances that were not reflections on the candidate who lost.  More importantly, Bush 43, and Carter were undone by realignments that were cemented in the years that they lost their re-election bids.  Each of those candidates were elected by majorities in states that never carried for their parties to this day.

Is there a new realignment coming?  Such a new realignment MIGHT push PA and OH to the GOP over environmental issues, but changing demographics may also cement FL, NC, CO, and even AZ as Presidentially Democratic states.  Absent that, the power of the incumbency is an incredibly strong asset any sitting President has, even a polarizing President such as Obama.  Obama CREAMED Romney; there is no getting around that, despite dissatisfaction as to the limited economic recovery in 2012.  Things would really have to be going to hell for a sitting President of either party to be dumped in 2020.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 12:19:37 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2015, 02:46:58 AM by OC »

OH may very well lose its bellweather status to Colorado. Pa is firmly  51/49 state like NH for Dems
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 03:42:15 AM »

Too early to say, because none knows, what the political climate in 2020 will be. The election outcome also depends on the challenger.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 03:54:43 AM »

Just thinking of a Clinton running for re-election makes me want to vomit. Clinton '96 was the most right-wing Democratic nominee since 1924. V-chips, DOMA, school uniforms, and saying he'd be option to banning partial birth abortions? WTF sh**t is that?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 04:14:06 AM »

Just thinking of a Clinton running for re-election makes me want to vomit. Clinton '96 was the most right-wing Democratic nominee since 1924. V-chips, DOMA, school uniforms, and saying he'd be option to banning partial birth abortions? WTF sh**t is that?

Hillary is more progressive than her husband.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 11:22:59 AM »

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 03:04:11 PM »

She moves with the party. She chooses whatever she thinks will help her get elected
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 03:08:34 AM »

Hillary needs to pay her staff more than minimum wage first.  I'll never understand why the Democrats are so obsessed with just paying minimum wage all of a sudden.  I guess they'll change positions on anything if it means a free hand out.  This is why property ownership and paying taxes should be a prerequisite to voting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies