Israel and Palestine: The One-State Solution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:05:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel and Palestine: The One-State Solution
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you think a one-state solution is all but inevitable?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Israel and Palestine: The One-State Solution  (Read 6491 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2015, 08:39:41 PM »

Given the fact that Israel (and the Palestinian Authority) have effectively abandoned the two-state solution peace process, I'd say so. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:43:49 PM »

Given the fact that Israel (and the Palestinian Authority) have effectively abandoned the two-state solution peace process, I'd say so. 

A one-state future is a possibility, but it would be darkly ironic at best to call it a solution
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:45:33 PM »

We need a one state solution with Israel being the only state and expand it to Biblical Borders.
 And include Sinai in it
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:52:45 PM »

Given that essentially nobody is willing to do the legwork required for a two-state solution, a one-state solution (a confederation?) is pretty likely, even if it is de facto.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:55:45 PM »

We need a one state solution with Israel being the only state and expand it to Biblical Borders.
 And include Sinai in it
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:30:09 PM »

Two states is much more likely than one, since one is NEVER going to happen.  Maybe in 1947 you could have had that, but too many hot heads then and there are a lot more now. 

Add the 6 decades of blood and you get no chance for a one state solution. 

(I suppose there could be a one state solution where one side or the other is 100% in charge, but that would likely be uglier than what we have now)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »

Well you could hypothetically put in some quasi-democratic power sharing structure like Northern Ireland. After all, plenty of bad blood existed there and now former paramilitary leaders (oh sorry "alleged" paramilitaries) share government together.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »

The last few months likely put the kibosh on any chance of that.

Some eventual two (or three) state solution will be formed, likely involving the spoils of the eventual war when the Palestinian majority in Jordan topples the Hashemites.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 09:41:01 PM »

Well you could hypothetically put in some quasi-democratic power sharing structure like Northern Ireland. After all, plenty of bad blood existed there and now former paramilitary leaders (oh sorry "alleged" paramilitaries) share government together.
It's worked ok in N. Ireland.  It's worked pretty sh**tty in most of the other places in similar situations.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 09:44:32 PM »

And include Sinai in it

*Face Palm at Idiocy.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »

And include Sinai in it

While we're at it, let's expand the US to its Biblical extent as well.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 12:14:09 AM »

And include Sinai in it
If anything, Israel needs to shrink back to the 1967 borders. For their own survival, really.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 12:33:15 AM »

And include Sinai in it

While we're at it, let's expand the US to its Biblical extent as well.

You mean expand the US to it's Book of Mormon borders, of course. (let it not be said that I can't make a joke about my own religion)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 12:40:01 AM »

And include Sinai in it

Wouldn't that create a Palestinian-majority country that overwhelms the concept of a Jewish state?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 03:20:36 AM »

Wrong.  Israel hasn't abandoned the two-state peace process.  They just don't have a partner that wants peace to negotiate with. 

I think the best solution would actually be a three state solution.  The Arabs join the Arab states of Egypt and Jordan, the Jews have the Jewish state of Israel.  The borders are based on the 1967 borders with land-swaps to encompass the largest settlement areas into Israel.  It would be pretty simple if the Arabs wanted peace, but they don't so, it's pretty much academic.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 12:44:41 PM »

And include Sinai in it
The only right answer given in this thread Smiley

Answered yes in the poll, of course. But in reality I'd consider quite good the two-state solution imposed by the British: Israel and Jordan.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »

No, a one state solution is a horrible idea, for both Israel and the Palestinians. Bedstuy's position is basically mine. I support a two-state solution, and have so since at least 2007, but Israel has no partner for peace, despite what the far-left academics claim.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »

You know it's very hard to take Israel's pleas that it wants peace seriously while settlements keep going up around the West Bank.

Anyway, at this point it is quite obvious that there is no solution and neither side is interested in negotiating in good faith. So *shrug*
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 04:52:43 PM »

Not yet, but getting there.

The one-state solution will become inevitable once it starts dominating the Palestinian thinking. I give it another, say, 20-25 years or so. The current generation of Palestinian leaders will have to die off for that - they are Zionism's last chance. Once they are dead, the next generation will demand citizenship.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 04:53:48 PM »

Wrong.  Israel hasn't abandoned the two-state peace process.  They just don't have a partner that wants peace to negotiate with. 

I guess, you have already bought the Brooklyn Bridge from Netanyahu.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »

The one-state solution will become inevitable once it starts dominating the Palestinian thinking. I give it another, say, 20-25 years or so. The current generation of Palestinian leaders will have to die off for that - they are Zionism's last chance. Once they are dead, the next generation will demand citizenship.

The current generation of Palestinian leaders is Hamas and they already favor a one state solution.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 05:02:39 PM »

The current generation of Palestinian leaders is Hamas and they already favor a one state solution.

Well, they are there as well, but they are not the only ones out there. The next generation of Fatah (or whatever it will be called than - probably, something else), however, will be a lot more dangerous for Israel's existence as a Jewish state than Hamas has ever been or will ever be.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 06:52:26 PM »

And include Sinai in it

Wouldn't that create a Palestinian-majority country that overwhelms the concept of a Jewish state?

Yes, which is why I wonder if Classic Conservative supports the ethnic cleansing that would be necessary for those borders to work in the 21st century.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 01:47:01 AM »

And include Sinai in it

Yes, which is why I wonder if Classic Conservative supports the ethnic cleansing that would be necessary for those borders to work in the 21st century.
In his defense, he's what, 12? I don't think children can intuitively figure out the problem of ethnic cleansing until they're at least 2-3 years older.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 05:55:09 AM »

Yes. but further down the road with a lot more blood shed on the ground.

The only framework of a deal that could have worked for 2SS was the Geneva Intiative one (meaning could somehow pass both sides demands). No Israeli leader can offer this (including a Labour leader), No Palestinian leader could take less.

Soon Abbas leaves office and then it will be even more interesting
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies