Amy Klobuchar for VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:30:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Amy Klobuchar for VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Amy Klobuchar for VP?
Freedom Choice.

Horrible Choice.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Amy Klobuchar for VP?  (Read 2630 times)
madelka
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2015, 09:16:24 PM »

I feel like she might be the best pick, certainly better than Castro.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:23:51 PM »

Not a bad pick for Sanders. Not a good pick for Clinton.

Given that Clinton is far more likely to win, Horrible Choice.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:05:38 PM »

She would be a decent pick.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:07:45 PM »

She would have been a good choice for Biden, but with Hillary, it could be risky to have two women on the ticket.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 10:17:11 PM »

She would have been a good choice for Biden, but with Hillary, it could be risky to have two women on the ticket.

Why?  Because they could start having babies in the middle of a Cabinet meeting?  Tongue
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:22:28 PM »

She would be a very competent and efficient VP, but would not bring anything new to the ticket.
Higgs

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 11:06:23 PM »

Why?  Because they could start having babies in the middle of a Cabinet meeting?  Tongue

Yeah this makes no sense. If you're worried about people being sexist they wouldn't have voted for Hillary in the first place, regardless of her VP.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 11:11:07 PM »

Yeah this makes no sense. If you're worried about people being sexist they wouldn't have voted for Hillary in the first place, regardless of her VP.

Actually, you're right.  A second woman wouldn't add much risk, I was wrong.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 12:24:07 AM »

This was brought up a couple months ago.
Amy is boring and adds nothing to the ticket.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 12:31:51 AM »

It could solidify the upper midwest, which could be important when....uhhh....
Higgs

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 12:45:31 AM »

It could solidify the upper midwest, which could be important when....uhhh....

Well they should be taken with a grain of salt because it's early but polls show Clinton vulnerable in the upper midwest, especially against Rubio.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 04:36:49 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2015, 04:40:53 AM by BeccaM »

Klobuchar is a fantastic senator and has a more likable personality than most here seem to think. All I see is  people saying that she's "boring" - why? Because she's competent and not an attention seeking lunatic?

She's actually very charming and "Minnesota nice" and Clinton's running mate doesn't need to be that electric and overshadowing. Madame President will always be the main draw.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 06:39:27 AM »

Not sure why so many people are touting the Castro brothers for her VP. Sure, contrasting identity politics (old white woman and young Hispanic male) and ticket balance, I get that, but it's not as though Hillary needs to be worried about losing the Hispanic vote given the current Trumpification of the party's view on Mexicans and immigrants. Nothing against the Castros, but a Castro selection is risky a la Palinesque: young and inexperienced and that could undermine Hillary's argument that she is the most experienced and ready candidate in the race.

I still maintain my belief that she is going to pick a loyalist, someone who endorsed her in 2008.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »

Klobuchar's not as bad of a choice as the Castros.  At least it's not irresponsible.
But there's not much logic to it either.  If Klobuchar was a man she wouldn't even be getting brought up.  Know how I know?  Because her fellow senator from Minnesota is Al Franken, they've both been in the senate the same amount of time, and nobody ever mentions Franken as VP.

Tim Kaine will be the VP if Clinton has any sense.  He's the obvious, responsible choice who's fully qualified, a strong addition to the ticket personality- and talent-wise, and fills in many of Clinton's weaknesses.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »

Hillary is a woman.

Klobuchar is a woman.

Is Hillary going to pick another woman for VP?

No!

Everybody, please, get this idea out of your heads that Hillary is ever going to pick another woman for VP.

Not gonna happen, no way, no how.

Get over it.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 10:35:13 AM »

Hillary is already doing very badly with men right now, an all female ticket would worsen that.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 11:13:16 AM »

It's more about how it can reinforce a negative image.

One woman on a ticket is an inspiration to your daughters.
Two can be seen as radical feminists.

I don't believe any female Governor has been elected with a female running mate.

Janet Napolitano in Arizona is the only example I'm aware of where the next in line to a female Governor was a woman but they won seperate elections, and were from different political parties.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 12:24:43 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2015, 12:27:43 PM by BeccaM »

But there's not much logic to it either.  If Klobuchar was a man she wouldn't even be getting brought up.  Know how I know?  Because her fellow senator from Minnesota is Al Franken, they've both been in the senate the same amount of time, and nobody ever mentions Franken as VP.
Because Al Franken is AL FRANKEN and though he's been a fantastic senator he'd always be a huge risk given his past career. And Klobuchar was sworn in 2.5 years before him for the record.

I don't think she'll be picked but she's definitely excellent as a senator and a person and would be a safe choice if that's what's needed.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »

Klobuchar's not as bad of a choice as the Castros.  At least it's not irresponsible.
But there's not much logic to it either.  If Klobuchar was a man she wouldn't even be getting brought up.  Know how I know?  Because her fellow senator from Minnesota is Al Franken, they've both been in the senate the same amount of time, and nobody ever mentions Franken as VP.

Tim Kaine will be the VP if Clinton has any sense.  He's the obvious, responsible choice who's fully qualified, a strong addition to the ticket personality- and talent-wise, and fills in many of Clinton's weaknesses.

I actually think Kaine is a better comparison to someone with Klobuchar's profile but male than Franken is so I think you end up proving the opposite point you were trying to make. Some people think Virginia being an important swing state is an argument in Kaine's favor but I actually think again the opposite is true; the fact that it's purple makes it harder for an appointee to hold his senate seat. (It's come up before and I think the law dictates there'd be a 2017 special election, then the regular in 2018.) Minnesota is less of a risk to elect a Republican senator. I think Hillary is unlikely to pick a female running mate unless 7 months from now, she's posting a big lead in polls.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 01:17:32 PM »

Not a bad pick for Sanders. Not a good pick for Clinton.

Given that Clinton is far more likely to win, Horrible Choice.

I concur.

The good: Minnesota will replace her with another Democrat.
She will be ideologically consistent.

The bad: She can't swing a state that will make a difference.
perdedor

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »

Klobuchar isn't the attack dog type that Clinton will need, since getting her own hands dirty will make her look "frosty" to uneducated rubes who only like it when men are confrontational. That's not to say Clinton will make a better choice in this regard. My money is still on Terry McAuliffe, a longtime loyalist with a significant public office. Clinton has zero incentive to pick a minority.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 04:26:49 PM »

Hasn't it more or less been confirmed that Hillary would choose Castro and Sanders would choose Warren?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 04:33:35 PM »

Hasn't it more or less been confirmed that Hillary would choose Castro and Sanders would choose Warren?

Hillary's (or Sanders's) campaign hasn't said/leaked anything, it's just Atlas speculation.

Anyways, Klobuchar would solidify MN/WI for Clinton, but it's not like Hillary's desperate for help there. Tim Kaine remains the best choice.
perdedor

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 04:52:42 PM »

Hillary's (or Sanders's) campaign hasn't said/leaked anything, it's just Atlas speculation.

Anyways, Klobuchar would solidify MN/WI for Clinton, but it's not like Hillary's desperate for help there. Tim Kaine remains the best choice.

NC (John Edwards)
Gore 2000: 43.20%
Kerry 2004: 43.58%
Obama 2008: 49.70%

AK (Sarah Palin)
Bush 2004: 61.07%
McCain 2008: 59.42%
Romney 2012: 54.80%

WI (Paul Ryan)
Bush 2004: 49.32%
McCain 2008: 42.31%
Romney 2012: 45.89%

There is little evidence that VP candidates have a significant impact on the results in their home state, let alone the next state over.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »

NC (John Edwards)
Gore 2000: 43.20%
Kerry 2004: 43.58%
Obama 2008: 49.70%

AK (Sarah Palin)
Bush 2004: 61.07%
McCain 2008: 59.42%
Romney 2012: 54.80%

WI (Paul Ryan)
Bush 2004: 49.32%
McCain 2008: 42.31%
Romney 2012: 45.89%

There is little evidence that VP candidates have a significant impact on the results in their home state, let alone the next state over.

Palin probably helped in Alaska, given that it swung significantly to Obama in '12. Ryan didn't help because he didn't have a statewide position. Not sure why Edwards didn't help.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies