What would you change about the Health Care System
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:19:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What would you change about the Health Care System
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: (please see explanations below)
Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option4

Option 5

Option 6

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: What would you change about the Health Care System  (Read 4845 times)
Potus
Potus2036

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »

The problem with American healthcare is not that Medicaid pays $10 for a box of tissues when an insurance company pays $15. It's that a box of tissues at a hospital is $15 in the first place.

Are you a single payer person? Because the "solution" that single payer proposes is to lower the medicaid number to $5, cover everyone so they have the power to set standard prices, and celebrate the newfound efficiency in our healthcare system.
defe07

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »

Make doctors and patients reach more agreements on payments. For example, a major surgery. You don't want to wipe out the savings of a family or let the doctor do it for free.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 01:36:52 PM »

Make doctors and patients reach more agreements on payments. For example, a major surgery. You don't want to wipe out the savings of a family or let the doctor do it for free.

lmao, are you suggesting haggling for surgery?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 09:46:50 AM »

Yeah, let's just not do that.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:22 AM »

You're actually describing insurance pools. When you bundle people together, you have more bargaining power to ask for lower prices.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 11:52:54 AM »

You're actually describing insurance pools. When you bundle people together, you have more bargaining power to ask for lower prices.

That's quite different from what defe07 seemed to be suggesting.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 09:42:37 AM »

Not really sure what this whole part A and part B thing is.

Anyway I support what I consider the lesser evil option, single payer health insurance. It should cover all necessary procedures from routine doctor and dentist visits to major surgeries.

My ideal option though would communities, such as towns or counties, pooling money together and then using that pool to pay for surgeries of members of that community. For smaller things like routine visits, that'd be handled by patient and doctor as it was in the past before the insurance companies and government made things more complicated and expensive. A non-profit cooperative basically... I prefer things simple and local so it is more ideal to me. But I realize that it wouldn't be put into action everywhere and health insurance is sort of a necessity so I go with my lesser evil option as a result.

That said I don't want the government running hospitals or anything so a definite no to nationalizing the health care industry. Also a definite no to just letting the insurance companies continue to take advantage of people either.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:46 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Expand medicaid to those making under $30,000 based on the previous year's taxes and $50,000 for couples with two or more children.  Use higher taxes on the wealthiest 2% to pay for the additional costs along with repealing Obamacare.  Keep a "don't ask, don't tell policy on pre-existing conditions and allow people to remain on their parents' insurance until the age of 24. 
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 10:43:14 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Expand medicaid to those making under $30,000 based on the previous year's taxes and $50,000 for couples with two or more children.  Use higher taxes on the wealthiest 2% to pay for the additional costs along with repealing Obamacare.  Keep a "don't ask, don't tell policy on pre-existing conditions and allow people to remain on their parents' insurance until the age of 24. 

This is disastrous. Completely disastrous. Higher taxes, more spending, and an even more defective healthcare system. You should be looking to maximize private insurance, both as a conservative and a pragmatist.
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2016, 01:02:56 AM »

This is disastrous. Completely disastrous. Higher taxes, more spending, and an even more defective healthcare system. You should be looking to maximize private insurance, both as a conservative and a pragmatist.

Private insurance is the goal, but not everyone is so fortunate.  I hope you don't confuse me with an Obamacare supporter though.  I'm on your side.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 07:00:32 AM »

Option 5. The US is the only major country on earth without universal health care.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2016, 09:07:36 AM »

Some appropriately adjusted "Bismarck" arrangement.
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2016, 12:02:28 AM »

Option 5. The US is the only major country on earth without universal health care.

And we have the greatest quality of care and most advanced treatments.  It's an envious system to be part of so it's understandable how bitter the left gets over not having insurance. 
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2016, 12:13:02 AM »

And we have the greatest quality of care and most advanced treatments.  It's an envious system to be part of so it's understandable how bitter the left gets over not having insurance. 
This is why I disagree with the "We are the only country not to do ...". I support a healthcare system that works for all Americans. I think we need a new healthcare system whether it be based more on Private Care or a Public Option, what we have now has worked if so not very well, but it was a step in the right direction. We used to lead the world in solving problems with American solutions, and I say it's high time we get back there.
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2016, 12:22:19 AM »

This is why I disagree with the "We are the only country not to do ...". I support a healthcare system that works for all Americans. I think we need a new healthcare system whether it be based more on Private Care or a Public Option, what we have now has worked if so not very well, but it was a step in the right direction. We used to lead the world in solving problems with American solutions, and I say it's high time we get back there.

A one-sized fits all method is historically dangerous.  It groups people together as if they're under some kind of universal tyranny.  Public options have never worked unless you want to wait 6 months to be seen for a broken arm.  It comes down to your party wanting to spread misery equally.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2016, 12:38:22 AM »

A one-sized fits all method is historically dangerous.  It groups people together as if they're under some kind of universal tyranny.  Public options have never worked unless you want to wait 6 months to be seen for a broken arm.  It comes down to your party wanting to spread misery equally.
I said nothing about a "one-size fits all" system, I just want a system that works, I think (hope) we can agree on that. Please explain how "you wait 6 months for a broken arm" under a public option, currently we do not have a public option so I don't know how you know this has and will happen. I would ask that you not address my party, and I won't address yours. This is an issue, not an attempt to jab Democrats. There are many conservatives who support single payer, for which many Democrats do not.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2016, 12:41:29 AM »

How about we start with putting an end to price gouging by the healthcare industry? I will purposefully leave out the 'how' part of that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2016, 12:41:42 AM »

The answer to this is too easy.

"NHI delivers universal coverage offered by a government-run insurer"
"NHI "is modeled after Medicare [in the USA]. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Taiwan
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2016, 01:26:28 AM »

What would this entail, if you don't mind elaborating.
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2016, 04:24:39 AM »

I said nothing about a "one-size fits all" system, I just want a system that works, I think (hope) we can agree on that. Please explain how "you wait 6 months for a broken arm" under a public option, currently we do not have a public option so I don't know how you know this has and will happen. I would ask that you not address my party, and I won't address yours. This is an issue, not an attempt to jab Democrats. There are many conservatives who support single payer, for which many Democrats do not.

Universal is one size fits all.  If you're interested in cases from public option systems, search for the story of the Canadian prime minister I believe who came to the US to have a surgery that would've taken to long to have in Canada. No conservatives support a single payer system.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2010/02/04/canadian-premier-heart-surgery-plans-raise-questions-about-health-care.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/02/danny-williams-canadian-o_n_446481.html
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2016, 04:35:08 AM »

Medicare for All like Taiwan did.
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2016, 05:05:58 AM »

Medicare for All like Taiwan did.

Or expand medicaid to cover singles making up to $30,000 and couples under $50,000.  Then we can get rid of Obamacare and all 2,700 pages of red tape.
P123

Political Matrix
E: 3.64, S: 3.20

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 12:35:02 AM »

I would replace the entirety of the safety net with a cash grant of equal value for every citizen (to be phased out after certain income levels), part of which could be used to fund private health insurance if the recipient decides to do so—I would abolish the individual mandate.

I like this.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2016, 12:46:43 AM »

I would replace the entirety of the safety net with a cash grant of equal value for every citizen (to be phased out after certain income levels), part of which could be used to fund private health insurance if the recipient decides to do so—I would abolish the individual mandate.

I like this.

Just how many people are going to take that money and spend it on something they feel is more important, and note that this will vary wildly from person to person? Aren't people better off if they are say, simply guaranteed healthcare instead of giving a choice and possibly regretting it?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »

I like this.

Just how many people are going to take that money and spend it on something they feel is more important, and note that this will vary wildly from person to person? Aren't people better off if they are say, simply guaranteed healthcare instead of giving a choice and possibly regretting it?

Guaranteed minimum income + publicly provided basic goods (health, education, housing, etc.) is the way to go.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies