Saudi Arabia Launches 'Islamic Military Alliance' to Combat Terrorists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:37:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Saudi Arabia Launches 'Islamic Military Alliance' to Combat Terrorists
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Saudi Arabia Launches 'Islamic Military Alliance' to Combat Terrorists  (Read 961 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2015, 09:52:15 PM »

It would help their credibility some if the Saudis started reining in the Wahhabist establishment that gives religious inspiration to all these would-be jihadists:

Saudi Arabia launches ‘Islamic military alliance’ to combat terrorism

By Karen DeYoung December 15 at 8:32 PM

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Angel of Death
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »

It's just a front to attack the Houthis in Yemen.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 09:58:17 PM »

Jesus Christ, can they stop with the endless Cold War with the Persians? Priorities, Sauds, priorities - literally the entire MENA region is collapsing under Salafi terrorist attacks,  the Iranians are not your main problem at the moment. Fyck this dumb country, Obama pls drone Riyadh.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 03:35:19 PM »

It would help their credibility some if the Saudis started reining in the Wahhabist establishment that gives religious inspiration to all these would-be jihadists:

That would involve bombing themselves.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 05:42:47 PM »

The best part is that many of the countries taking part of this alliance wasn't aware they was part of it (Indonesia and Lebanon as example).

Bonus fact: The Gulf Coast coalition seem to have stopped the Houthis from overrunning them; the secret? Columbian, American, South American, British and Australian mercenaries paid by Qatar and UAE and offered citizenship for their service, of course this is after they have used Somalian, Pakistani, Sudanese and Eritrean mercenaries, who they didn't offer citizenship. I personal find it hilarious that they need Christian mercenaries and are desperate enough that they have to offer them citizenship.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 06:26:24 PM »

Why would non-Muslims want Qatar or UAE citizenship? How is that even a bribe?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 06:29:22 PM »

One more passport is useful when you are a mercenary.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 06:36:53 PM »

The citizens enjoy a lot of privileges and get money from the government in these countries, and especially Qatar have used citizenships as bribes to groups of foreigners (in their case foreign professional sportsmen from Europe and Africa). Also they're also paid.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »

Jesus Christ, can they stop with the endless Cold War with the Persians? Priorities, Sauds, priorities - literally the entire MENA region is collapsing under Salafi terrorist attacks,  the Iranians are not your main problem at the moment. Fyck this dumb country, Obama pls drone Riyadh.

Tbf, I don't think it's Iran alone (who are far and away the main center of power for the Shiites in the region - something that the Saudis actually are not for the Sunni Arab world, at least, not to the same extent as Iran is re: Shiites)  that the Saudis are concerned with (see: Erdogan's Turkey, along with some of the smaller Gulf states who are at least attempting to keep a bit of distance from the Saudis, and whom I suspect have long resented KSA's dominance in the region).  Additionally, ever since the Arab Spring, Saudi Arabia has been on edge, because if there's one thing the Saudis hate more than Iran, it's democracy (or more likely, some type of Al-Qaeda/ISIS group threatening their rule at home. Tongue)

I'm just saying: if I were a member of the House of Saud's ruling clique, I would certainly be alarmed by recent developments in the region. Tongue

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »

Tbf, I don't think it's Iran alone (who are far and away the main center of power for the Shiites in the region - something that the Saudis actually are not for the Sunni Arab world, at least, not to the same extent as Iran is re: Shiites)  that the Saudis are concerned with (see: Erdogan's Turkey, along with some of the smaller Gulf states who are at least attempting to keep a bit of distance from the Saudis, and whom I suspect have long resented KSA's dominance in the region).  Additionally, ever since the Arab Spring, Saudi Arabia has been on edge, because if there's one thing the Saudis hate more than Iran, it's democracy (or more likely, some type of Al-Qaeda/ISIS group threatening their rule at home. Tongue)

I'm just saying: if I were a member of the House of Saud's ruling clique, I would certainly be alarmed by recent developments in the region. Tongue

Saudi Arabia's problem is that the end of Cold War was a foreign policy disaster for them and 9/11 have only made thing worse. Under the Cold War Saudi Arabia was seen as fundamental no worse than the other regimes in the Middle East. The problem are with the fall of USSR suddenly we could see more rational on the regimes in Middle East and the truth are no matter how horrible many of the regime were, Saudi Arabia was just worse, it would be even worse if the Saudi wasn't so good at hiding their worst atrocities (yes all those horrible thing we hear the Saudis do, they're not the worst thing they do). Of course the Saudi could go through the 90ties as the "moderate" Islamist alternative to Iran (a lie they got away with because of Western antipathy toward Iran). But 9/11 crush that lie and the more horrible the Sunni Islamista have become the weaker the Saudi position become, simply because the worst groups are often born out of Saudi money and volunteers. At the same time the House of Saud fear to stop the domestic support to those groups, as the supporters are primarily from the tribal families, who are the House's power base.   
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »

For their part, the other Gulf rulers (with the obvious exception of the Bahraini royal family) are less hawkish on Iran than the Sauds. Qatar and UAE only want money, and they find KSA's hysteria annoying; and Oman has always had a fairly close relationship with the Iranians.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies