The Homeschooling Regionalization Act of 2015 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:52:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Homeschooling Regionalization Act of 2015 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Homeschooling Regionalization Act of 2015 (Passed)  (Read 779 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2015, 02:27:45 PM »
« edited: January 14, 2016, 08:56:38 AM by Speaker Cris »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator North Carolina Yankee
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 11:09:14 PM »

I'll always advocate for more regional power, so I fully support this bill. Cheesy
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »

I will vote in favour of this if I have confidence that the Northeastern government will ban this vile practice.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 11:37:46 AM »

Did the previous bill ban homeschooling in full?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 04:22:59 PM »

For reference, here is the complete text of the Homeschooling Act of 2014, courtesy of the wiki:

Note that the singular effect of this act is to grant homeschooled students ages 14 and older the right  to "informed consent." It does not outlaw homeschooling, as some had asked, nor does it establish curriculum requirements for homeschoolers. Speaking as someone who in real life has experience as a homeschooler and as a student in public and private schools (as well as someone who supports devolution in Atlasia), this is a provision that I think makes a lot of sense, and I'm not sure why the sponsor sees the need for its repeal. The right to play a role in one's education should not be denied to students based on where they live.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 07:12:03 PM »

I don't exactly oppose the original bill. With that said, I think it would benefit from being changed so that the counselor is not an employee of the school district, who has a vested interest in getting students to enroll in schools there. I'm not sure who would be ideal for that role, though.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 03:19:55 AM »

First off, I was asked to introduce this by a constituent.

Second of all, if one reads the debate from the previous bill:

I was an unsuccessfully home schooled student for two years before being placed in a public school by my parents. I must say that I found presence in a public school to be little more effective at socializing myself then remaining at home. I spurned any kind of involvement just to maximize my time away from the place and increase the time I was home. At the same time, I found that was more effective at teaching myself history than any school and from middle school one, I found myself having to cringe as teacher's botched historical events. I found myself constantly harrassed and tormented by administrators who needed to dictate how I dressed and what I ate when, in order to feel good about themselves. Little wonder I just wanted to be away from that place.

From my own experience, I know that homeschooling can thus succeed as much as it can fail. But, I also know that public school can succeed as much as it can fail. The public school has just as much power to isolate and to scar mentally and emotionally a child as an overproductive or even abusive parent can. Both methods can fail, but at least can can provide an alternative to other and I would rather that second chance at learning be available then to condemn them to a lifetime of ignorance just so some statist can feel better about themselves by exerting control over the destructive element themselves.

This was the post I made explaining my vote to amend the original text, which did ban homeschooling outright.

In the end this ended up being one of my "reluctant nays" because I wanted the regions to take responsibility for this. But I am fully supportive of informed consent. I would have also preferred to see standards and such that were not present in this bill because I believe that homeschooling must be regulated, which just like the consent, is a decision to be made at the regional level.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 03:23:30 AM »

For reference, here is the complete text of the Homeschooling Act of 2014, courtesy of the wiki:

Note that the singular effect of this act is to grant homeschooled students ages 14 and older the right  to "informed consent." It does not outlaw homeschooling, as some had asked, nor does it establish curriculum requirements for homeschoolers. Speaking as someone who in real life has experience as a homeschooler and as a student in public and private schools (as well as someone who supports devolution in Atlasia), this is a provision that I think makes a lot of sense, and I'm not sure why the sponsor sees the need for its repeal. The right to play a role in one's education should not be denied to students based on where they live.

But that is a slippery slope Truman, one that has led us to a point where devolution is needed in the first place. Many things shouldn't be determined by where a person lives and such is the main argument for centralizing authority and decision making, a constant unyielding process that over the past decades has weakened the regions to the point of withering on the vine.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »

I motion for a final vote on this bill.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 07:26:44 AM »

A final vote is now open.
Please vote.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »

NAY

I agree with Senator Truman, and see no reason to repeal this.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 02:08:09 PM »

NAY!

If the Homeschooling Act had placed curriculum requirements on homeschoolers, things would be different, but that is not the case. The federal government should not dictate every detail of national policy, but it should take the necessary steps to insure the natural rights of the people against Regional whims. The right to an education has never been more important than it is today, and I cannot in good conscience support any action that deprives students of the right to play a role in their schooling.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 05:08:10 PM »

Nay
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »