Where do you get your coffee from?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:52:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Where do you get your coffee from?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Fav coffee shop?
Dunkin Donuts

Starbucks

Other

Don't drink coffee (low energy)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Where do you get your coffee from?  (Read 4188 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 07:44:45 AM »

Every morning I brew a pot for breakfast. I usually grind a whole bean roast from Papanicholas (they are local about 5 miles away), Intelligensia (Chicago-based) or Peets.

On the go I get coffee from Starbucks more than other places, because they are so common. Caribou was my preference, but they closed most of their stores around here a few years ago. Some became Peets, but the one I stopped at most frequently stayed closed. Sad
mencken
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 08:58:06 AM »

Either brew it myself or buy it from the nearest non-Starbucks coffee shop.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 09:47:02 AM »

My Keurig because it's way cheaper than buying coffee every day.

This. Brand-wise, I prefer McDonalds and so do most people I've spoken to.

Keuirgs are horrible.  You can make whole bean coffee that tastes much, much better for 1/3 the price.  It's not like traditional coffee makers require an engineering degree to operate.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »

From my Bunn with 100% Colombian (I'm a stickler about that... Colombian coffee is the best).. usually with milk.  No sugar.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »

We buy it at the supermarket, but I don't drink coffee; the rest of my house does.  Never mind that our prophet called coffee drinking a sin.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2015, 10:35:14 AM »

I needed to come to the office today, so after a few cups at home I hit GetGo, which is a regional 7-11 type store if you will, just a lot cleaner, nicer, and good food products with it.   Got the "Get up and go" blend, formerly named "Morning Rush".  Lots of extra caffeine.  $1.25 for a 16 ouncer and it gets me fuel perks there.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »

our prophet called coffee drinking a sin.

more of a weakness.  I guess it's all about moderation.  The problem with Americans is that we're the same way with coffee as we are with booze, houses, money, food, and everything else.  If one is good, then many must be better.  I'm especially weak when it comes to caffeine, alcohol, and spice.

When I lived in Boston, I often hung out at Someday Cafe.  ("A good cup of Joe" cost 79c back then.  Sometimes I'd break the monotony and have chai.)  From time to time I'd visit 1369 cafe--so named because of its address--where they had a drink called Instant Death.  It consisted of a 16-ounce strong coffee (Americano), with a long shot of the espresso of the day (often Ethiopian, always ground immediately before use.  No sugar.  No milk.  Best coffee ever.

These days I brew my own, either at home or at the office.  At work I use the reverse osmosis water office from my lab across the hall from my office.  It's pure enough so that I don't have to ever clean the coffeemaker.  I wouldn't drink it straight, but I think using it for brewing is fine.  At home my water is softer, so I just use tapwater here.

I am going to the mall tomorrow to begin Christmas celebration, American-style, with unchecked consumerism.  Will probably stop at Wells Fargo on Oregon Pike en route for a fresh cup.  Of course, I'll have already drunk about half a pot at home before that happens, wretched sinner that I am.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2015, 10:44:06 AM »

our prophet called coffee drinking a sin.

more of a weakness.  I guess it's all about moderation.  The problem with Americans is that we're the same way with coffee as we are with booze, houses, money, food, and everything else.  If one is good, then many must be better.  I'm especially weak when it comes to caffeine, alcohol, and spice.

When I lived in Boston, I often hung out at Someday Cafe.  ("A good cup of Joe" cost 79c back then.  Sometimes I'd break the monotony and have chai.)  From time to time I'd visit 1369 cafe--so named because of its address--where they had a drink called Instant Death.  It consisted of a 16-ounce strong coffee (Americano), with a long shot of the espresso of the day (often Ethiopian, always ground immediately before use.  No sugar.  No milk.  Best coffee ever.

These days I brew my own, either at home or at the office.  At work I use the reverse osmosis water office from my lab across the hall from my office.  It's pure enough so that I don't have to ever clean the coffeemaker.  I wouldn't drink it straight, but I think using it for brewing is fine.  At home my water is softer, so I just use tapwater here.

I am going to the mall tomorrow to begin Christmas celebration, American-style, with unchecked consumerism.  Will probably stop at Wells Fargo on Oregon Pike en route for a fresh cup.  Of course, I'll have already drunk about half a pot at home before that happens, wretched sinner that I am.

What I find remarkable is that she called it a sin.  She didn't just say it was unhealthy; no, it was "sin"!  She also said that eating between meals was "sin", yet I have never found a verse in the Bible that says "Thou shalt not snack."  It's ridiculous, unbiblical and extrabiblical rules like this that have made me look into the Seventh Day Baptists more.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 11:39:02 PM »

Grande Pike Place at Starbucks with a splash of half and half plus one Sweet'N Low.  Every morning.  Usually two to three cups a day.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 01:52:13 AM »

Every morning I brew a pot for breakfast. I usually grind a whole bean roast from Papanicholas (they are local about 5 miles away), Intelligensia (Chicago-based) or Peets.

On the go I get coffee from Starbucks more than other places, because they are so common. Caribou was my preference, but they closed most of their stores around here a few years ago. Some became Peets, but the one I stopped at most frequently stayed closed. Sad

muon = Chicago hipster

As for me, I brew at home and am brand-loyal to Dunkin's packaged coffee. When I do purchase hot coffee, I try to do so from Dunkin as well. Very good coffee. Starbucks really sucks.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »

What I find remarkable is that she called it a sin.  She didn't just say it was unhealthy; no, it was "sin"!  She also said that eating between meals was "sin", yet I have never found a verse in the Bible that says "Thou shalt not snack."  It's ridiculous, unbiblical and extrabiblical rules like this that have made me look into the Seventh Day Baptists more.

Well, extrabiblical sources have historically been taken pretty seriously.  For example, the Councils of Nicaea laid down a political agenda that was taken very seriously in the early church.  Also coffee, tea, and alcohol are specifically mentioned in Joseph Smith's "Word of Wisdom" which is considered canonical by at least one subset of Christians. 

If the prophet is really a prophet, then she probably has lots of information that you don't have.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 12:56:34 PM »

From my Bunn with 100% Colombian (I'm a stickler about that... Colombian coffee is the best).. usually with milk.  No sugar.

I liked that when I used to drink cup after cup after cup, but I've cut way back on coffee consumption in recent years and actually find the darker beans like French/Vienna Roast and espresso more savory (no cream, no sugar). The trick is to measure it right and not burn it. The guy who runs the coffeehouse I frequent, and who can make a knockout espresso practically blindfolded, was explaining to me that 18-22 seconds are ideal to brew an espresso, so the ground beans need to be packed just right; longer and it cooks it and it's nasty.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »

I make it myself in my Senseo coffee maker (do Americans have these too?). I like Starbucks very much and it is ubiquitous in the Netherlands, but it is also too expensive, which is why I get my "to go" coffee in cheaper places in supermarkets and on train stations.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2015, 01:01:44 AM »

Great Lakes a Roasting Co. (At on-campus job, or when passing by said place of employment on my way to class)
Starbucks (anywhere else on campus)
Tim Horton's (off campus driving)
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2015, 05:34:32 AM »

Coffee < tea. Why do you even drink that awful hot beverage?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »

I spend a lot of time in the Lake Erie region near the PA/NY line.  They have a ton of Tim Horton's coffee shops in and around the area.  Is the coffee as good as advertised?  What about food?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 10:36:01 AM »

Dunks if I'm out and about, if I'm at home I have Dunks k-cups.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »

Today it was a good Ethiopian blend.  Out running errands and a place called The Coffee Tree was convenient.  Packed to the brim with people. They're pricier than Starbucks by a few cents.   Excellent coffee though.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »

I  don't  really drink coffee, at home it's generally pre-mixed cappuccino or tea
Occasionally (as in once a month at most) I get a Starbucks Frappuccino
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2015, 10:50:19 PM »

I thought all offices supplied free coffee? That's the only coffee I've ever known.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2015, 10:36:03 AM »

Coffee? Don't drink any of that, give me a nice cup of tea any day!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2015, 10:40:40 AM »

From my coffee machine ...
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2015, 04:31:55 PM »

Starbucks, YUM.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2015, 05:09:43 PM »

I've decided Dunkin Donuts Coffee is on the bad list.  It's caffeine... but it is not good coffee.  McDonalds is another common coffee provider with off tasting coffee that certain avid followers seem to love. 

I'm not a coffee snob because I can tolerate bad coffee just fine.  But I am becoming a coffee connoisseur in that I've actually realized what good coffee is.  I prefer Colombian because it is ever so slightly fermented before they roast it.  And fermentation does a whole lot of good to a whole lot of our foods and drinks in the flavor department. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »

I got $80. in Starbucks gift cards for Christmas.   All is well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies