DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:53:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20
Author Topic: DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data  (Read 41961 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2015, 03:54:54 PM »

There's no evidence his campaign intentionally sought the data. If they did why report it?

This is part of a very important point. I listened to the interview with the guy and while he did sound a bit sketchy, one thing he's not lying about is that he obviously knew any actions in VAN could be tracked. This is something anybody who has used and has even basic understanding of the system knows. He's been a VAN admin on various campaigns, so it's pretty obvious that he was fully aware anything they were doing could ultimately be tracked click-by-click. Bug reports, user logs, and access histories all blatantly make this a pretty easy point to understand.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »

Right but I don't believe there was any intentional attempt to access the data here. If the guy copied it he should be fired but he still didn't break any laws and there's no reason to keep the Sanders campaign's access suspended after correcting the error.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2015, 03:58:36 PM »

Right but I don't believe there was any intentional attempt to access the data here. If the guy copied it he should be fired but he still didn't break any laws and there's no reason to keep the Sanders campaign's access suspended after correcting the error.

Yes there is; the data was downloaded by at least 4 Sanders accounts on to their computers. Until it's clear that it had been deleted they shouldn't have access.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2015, 03:59:45 PM »

Another thing I'm still trying to piece together is, perhaps VAN's seemingly contradictory statements about "campaigns possibly retaining data" and "nobody being able to export or save" scoring models might not in fact be contradictory. Something I heard in the interview + these statements made me think that possibly, the Sanders guy did download the lists of voters but that the scoring model info wasn't saved.

If that's the case and VAN is telling the truth about nothing else being visible during the breach, then this would mean that all the Sanders campaign actually downloaded was a list of voters with the standard public information/consumer-level data that comes with every basic VAN subscription. In other words, they wouldn't have received anything they didn't already have themselves.

Maybe someone else can clarify whether or not the actual scoring model data was in the exported files (rather than just being visible from the VAN interface).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2015, 04:00:55 PM »

Yes there is; the data was downloaded by at least 4 Sanders accounts on to their computers. Until it's clear that it had been deleted they shouldn't have access.

Unless I missed something, I thought it was said that the data was accessed by 4 accounts; downloaded by 1.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »

While the facts still come out, let us marvel at the statement Clinton just released about this.

The perfect statement is such a chaotic situation. 
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2015, 04:10:30 PM »

I think it will be very difficult for Sanders supporters to turn out and vote for Hillary in 2016, especially if they feel that his campaign was undermined by them. Honestly, I feel Bernie would be a huge asset on the trail he draws big crowds can raise a ton of grassroots $$ and energize, and more importantly a huge amount of small donors. He may not lift a finger for her campaign after all of this.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »

Another question that has to be asked is that if Sanders staff was not trying to access Clinton data, how did they discover the glitch? It would be hard to discover such a glitch by accident.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »

I think it will be very difficult for Sanders supporters to turn out and vote for Hillary in 2016, especially if they feel that his campaign was undermined by them. Honestly, I feel Bernie would be a huge asset on the trail he draws big crowds can raise a ton of grassroots $$ and energize, and more importantly a huge amount of small donors. He may not lift a finger for her campaign after all of this.
If he does that, I hope to god his ass is ing gone in 2018.  Put up a top notch candidate against him.  If he doesn't want to be a Democrat, then treat him like someone who isn't a Democrat.  I love this dude, but if loses the race for us, let him go to the wolves.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »

If he does that, I hope to god his ass is ing gone in 2018.  Put up a top notch candidate against him.  If he doesn't want to be a Democrat, then treat him like someone who isn't a Democrat.  I love this dude, but if loses the race for us, let him go to the wolves.

No he won't lose anything, that is Hillary's job to inspire those voters and she and the DNC have done nothing but alienate them to this point. I hate when people blame the voters and not the candidate.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2015, 04:22:23 PM »

No he won't lose anything, that is Hillary's job to inspire those voters and she and the DNC have done nothing but alienate them to this point. I hate when people blame the voters and not the candidate.
I'm not blaming the voters, I would blame Bernie.  He is running for the Democratic Nomination for Gods sack.  If he doesn't unite behind the person who wins, then abandon him, leave him die off in the wilderness. 
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »

It doesn't really matter much, since Bernie Sanders is not going to win the nomination anyway.
Zache

« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »

What has Clinton done specifically in this campaign to alienate Sanders' supporters?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #163 on: December 18, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »

ITT: All the usual suspects blaming everything on a vast Clinton conspiracy to force Sanders' National Data Director to improperly access and apparently download valuable propietary data by abusing a temporary vulnerability in Votebuilder's firewalls in order to give the DNC reason to  lock Sanders out of Votebuilder, which they had no obligation to give him access to but did anyway as a goodwill gesture, while simulataneously forcing Sanders' spokeperson to lie to the press about the National Data Director being a "low level staffer" and that there was no downloaded data, which there was. Bernie Cultists are so certain they have uncovered this vast conspiracy that now they are threatening not to vote for the favorite the win the nomination due to some vague allegations that the DNC is rigging the process for Clinton while making dubious claims of overwhelming evidence that they seem unable to produce.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »

What has Clinton done specifically in this campaign to alienate Sanders' supporters?
Nothing, they are pissed because she is winning, and they in there minds think she represents a big bad monster.  What none of them realize is how bad the Republicans are.  If they don't vote for her in the general if she gets the nomination, they can go fuck themselves for all I care.  I am so tired of running race after race and losing it because a part of the party is pissed their candidate didn't win.  That is what Republicans do, aren't we suppose to be above that.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2015, 04:31:29 PM »

The latest: Sanders Campaign National Data Director Uretsky created two new accounts to cover his tracks when downloading Clinton campaign data.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-12-18/sanders-campaign-fires-data-director-after-breach-of-clinton-files
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2015, 04:49:55 PM »

I think one of the reasons that this is bigger than it really should be is because Sanders supporters are making a big sh**t out of it, especially when the evidence is so damning. Don't prop up this guy's campaign as being clean and honest before the facts even come out, because it's looking some of his staffers screwed up and y'all look really silly right now.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2015, 05:13:18 PM by President Griffin »

I think one of the reasons that this is bigger than it really should be is because Sanders supporters are making a big sh**t out of it, especially when the evidence is so damning. Don't prop up this guy's campaign as being clean and honest before the facts even come out, because it's looking some of his staffers screwed up and y'all look really silly right now.

Irrespective of any of that, it's not about looking "silly". I don't like Sanders because I think he or his campaign is "clean and honest" (even though campaign actions like these have nothing to do with a candidate; Atlas Forum should know better and it's just Hillary hacks trying to draw that correlation). I like him because of his ideology. Personally, I also like campaigns and candidates that will rat-fyck anyone and anything in order to win. I wish I could really have both with Sanders. Sadly, Clinton meets one of those criteria and Sanders meets the other criteria.

The new angle and the new outrage has nothing to do with that. It's becoming "bigger than it really should be" because the Chair of one of the two major parties is holding hostage one of the two major candidates' access to their data for an indefinite period of time.

I have no idea about your personal experience with campaigns, but this literally incapacitates a campaign. All of the data they have collected on voters for the past seven months might as well not exist right now as far as their campaign is concerned. Additionally, they can conduct virtually no outreach with voters. Sophisticated use of the VAN also includes management of volunteer scheduling, donation records, email marketing and a variety of other elements.

Short of airing TV ads, a campaign that relies upon VAN can do nothing without it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2015, 05:13:02 PM »

The DNC has declared war against Bernie for not being the chosen one. The Bernie campaign had reported this bug in the past, and the terminated employee was collecting information to file the bug again. No good deed goes unpunished. The leaking to the media was bad enough, but cutting the Bernie campaign off from their own data makes this be total war.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2015, 05:14:24 PM »

jfern stop lying. Everything you have said in this thread has been verifiably false.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2015, 05:16:05 PM »

jfern stop lying. Everything you have said in this thread has been verifiably false.

It's not false. You really want to split the party in two. I guess you really relish having Hillary lose in November?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2015, 05:19:02 PM »

"Good for Bernie. The DNC is nothing more than an arm for the Clinton campaign" - Jim Webb
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »

You aren't in the party. And despite your ridiculous assertions, Clinton has ridiculously high favorability ratings among Democrats. There is no evidence that she will have any trouble getting their votes.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2015, 05:24:04 PM »

While the facts still come out, let us marvel at the statement Clinton just released about this.

The perfect statement is such a chaotic situation. 

Talk is cheap. Judge instead by what is actually happening: at a critical point in the race, a company founded by a former Clinton staffer and currently run by a different former Clinton staffer has suspended Sander's campaign's access to vital date, in response to a member of Sander's staff publicly pointing out that due to said company's own internal security "failures" Clinton's campaign had full access to the Sander's campaign's data.

If Clinton was truly neutral and objective in this, NGP VAN should be freezing everything while the two campaigns and the DNC swiftly are on an independent and fully transparent audit.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2015, 05:25:31 PM »

You aren't in the party. And despite your ridiculous assertions, Clinton has ridiculously high favorability ratings among Democrats. There is no evidence that she will have any trouble getting their votes.

I'm a registered Democrat, but that will most likely be changing soon. I'm sure this will hurt her ability to get votes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies