DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:31:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20
Author Topic: DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data  (Read 41966 times)
Fusionmunster

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:14 PM »

Welp, this is an overall depressing development. Going forward, the main goal of the Clinton campaign for the rest of the primary season should be to win over as many Sanders supporters as possible, and not to turn off too many of them. She doesn't need to attack; the nomination is hers and Sanders attacks will only serve to turn away would-be general election voters. For Sanders, his goal should be to run a clean issue based campaign for the next few months (until around March/April or so), and then fully and wholeheartedly endorse Clinton for President against Republican nominee Trump/Cruz/Rubio/Other.

There is no way I see Clinton winning the presidency. She is already a disliked candidate stuff like this just makes look really bad. This will be blamed on Hillary. I already see people saying they will just vote 3rd party.

Exactly, if she wanted Bernie supporters in the general election, she could have called today for the DNC to reinstate the Bernie campaign's access to their files. She didn't. She is dead to a lot of Bernie supporters now.

But she did call for a reinstatement of his files.

Where?

In her press release today.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #326 on: December 18, 2015, 11:28:21 PM »

So the contract seems pretty clear that 10 days notice must be given before it's terminated, and that time can be used to remedy any problem. The Bernie campaign is claiming damages of over $600k a day.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #327 on: December 18, 2015, 11:28:45 PM »

Welp, this is an overall depressing development. Going forward, the main goal of the Clinton campaign for the rest of the primary season should be to win over as many Sanders supporters as possible, and not to turn off too many of them. She doesn't need to attack; the nomination is hers and Sanders attacks will only serve to turn away would-be general election voters. For Sanders, his goal should be to run a clean issue based campaign for the next few months (until around March/April or so), and then fully and wholeheartedly endorse Clinton for President against Republican nominee Trump/Cruz/Rubio/Other.

There is no way I see Clinton winning the presidency. She is already a disliked candidate stuff like this just makes look really bad. This will be blamed on Hillary. I already see people saying they will just vote 3rd party.

Exactly, if she wanted Bernie supporters in the general election, she could have called today for the DNC to reinstate the Bernie campaign's access to their files. She didn't. She is dead to a lot of Bernie supporters now.

Where?

I didn't see it
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #328 on: December 18, 2015, 11:31:22 PM »

Where?

Link
You must be logged in to read this quote.

a.) Clinton wants Sanders' access to his data restored.
b.) Clinton wants an independent investigation into the Sanders campaigns actions.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #329 on: December 18, 2015, 11:31:59 PM »

So the contract seems pretty clear that 10 days notice must be given before it's terminated, and that time can be used to remedy any problem. The Bernie campaign is claiming damages of over $600k a day.

Im sure the contract also says something about not accessing other campaigns data. Since the Sanders campaign broke the contract first, im not sure if they have legal recourse here.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #330 on: December 18, 2015, 11:33:15 PM »

Where?

Link

b.) Clinton wants an independent investigation into the Sanders campaigns actions.

Thank you, I was having a hard time finding it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #331 on: December 18, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »

Im sure the contract also says something about not accessing other campaigns data. Since the Sanders campaign broke the contract first, im not sure if they have legal recourse here.

The Hillary campaign accessed confidential information in the past without punishment. I see nothing in the contract about that anyways. And there is supposed to be a 10 day notice before it terminates.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #332 on: December 18, 2015, 11:39:23 PM »

Where?

Link

Thank you, I was having a hard time finding it.

Why do they call on the court and not the DNC to resolve this? Very odd.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #333 on: December 18, 2015, 11:39:45 PM »

The Hillary campaign accessed confidential information in the past without punishment. I see nothing in the contract about that anyways. And there is supposed to be a 10 day notice before it terminates.
That's a boldfaced lie.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #334 on: December 18, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »

That's a boldfaced lie.

Which part?
Fusionmunster

« Reply #335 on: December 18, 2015, 11:41:23 PM »

Im gonna ignore the first part because you have no proof.

And do you have a link to the contract?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #336 on: December 18, 2015, 11:42:02 PM »

jfern, why is the Sanders campaign unable to give the DNC and everyone else paying attention a detailed and honest description of what happened? They've changed the story so much over the course of the day. Every time they were caught lying, they changed the story a little bit. They even tried to shift the blame on Clinton for accessing their files, a claim you're still parroting, but when pressed on it, Weaver had no evidence. If that will be their argument in court then they will surely lose. Why have they been lying so much? What are they trying so hard to cover up?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #337 on: December 18, 2015, 11:42:43 PM »

The first statement. What you are referring to is an unsubstantiated claim in the legal filing that says Clinton's campaign was inadvertently transferred data it was not supposed to have. That is not the same as deliberately stealing data from another campaign, which is what occurred here.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #338 on: December 18, 2015, 11:45:50 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2015, 11:48:10 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Im gonna ignore the first part because you have no proof.

And do you have a link to the contract?

It's in the lawsuit.
http://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000151-b72f-d1ae-add5-f76f14db0001

The first statement. What you are referring to is an unsubstantiated claim in the legal filing that says Clinton's campaign was inadvertently transferred data it was not supposed to have. That is not the same as deliberately stealing data from another campaign, which is what occurred here.

Well obviously it would be a lot more substantiated if someone had run to the media at the time about it.

jfern, why is the Sanders campaign unable to give the DNC and everyone else paying attention a detailed and honest description of what happened? They've changed the story so much over the course of the day. Every time they were caught lying, they changed the story a little bit. They even tried to shift the blame on Clinton for accessing their files, a claim you're still parroting, but when pressed on it, Weaver had no evidence. If that will be their argument in court then they will surely lose. Why have they been lying so much? What are they trying so hard to cover up?

If those are right and the vendor is wrong, one staffer searched for and accessed files he wasn't supposed on 3 accounts and was fired. I think the other staffer just did 1 search.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #339 on: December 18, 2015, 11:48:56 PM »

"Run to the media" What was the DNC going to do? Cut off Bernie's access without saying anything?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: December 18, 2015, 11:52:22 PM »

"Run to the media" What was the DNC going to do? Cut off Bernie's access without saying anything?

Just read this.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/1461610
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #341 on: December 18, 2015, 11:57:35 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2015, 12:00:02 AM by Ebsy »

Just read this.

I did, and it does not support anything you said. He actually speculates that the other course of action could have been to arrest the staffer for cyber crimes.
Trapsy

« Reply #342 on: December 18, 2015, 11:59:44 PM »

Bernie Sanders will regain access to his voter file.
https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/678075287490404352
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #343 on: December 19, 2015, 12:00:48 AM »

Looks like I was right.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #344 on: December 19, 2015, 12:00:50 AM »

Good,  hopefully they've deleted the data they stole from Clinton too, unless they really need to cheat to win.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #345 on: December 19, 2015, 12:01:22 AM »

Just read this.

I did, and it does not support anything you said.

It was discussing what the DNC should have done. Running to the media or cutting off access indefinitely were no nos.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #346 on: December 19, 2015, 12:13:29 AM »

Look, it's rather obvious that the DNC made this into a news story because - under DWS' terrible leadership - she thought it would be just a glorious hit against the Sanders campaign. Considering that the DNC's legalistic approach would only make sense if they were going to permanently withhold the data (which would be hilariously incompetent on their part and would lead to a literal civil war within the party), stating that they would "temporarily suspend access" was an asinine thing to do from an operational standpoint. Considering the breach had already been resolved and that unless the Sanders campaign had a team of hackers who could break into the Clinton data - but only if they had access to their own voter file - restricting access makes literally no sense. Complain about ethics and theft all you want: you know it makes absolutely no sense to maintain a suspension.

The fact that they appear to be reversing course so soon after the fact is either a) an indicator that they believe sufficient damage has been done, or b) they determined that it has not played out as they had hoped. I cannot specify which of those is the case, but I find it hard to believe that this has done any actual damage to Sanders, at minimum.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: December 19, 2015, 12:17:48 AM »

How weird that this story first breaks around midnight EST and it looks like cooler heads prevailed at the DNC around midnight EST.

Look, it's rather obvious that the DNC made this into a news story because - under DWS' terrible leadership - she thought it would be just a glorious hit against the Sanders campaign. Considering that the DNC's legalistic approach would only make sense if they were going to permanently withhold the data (which would be hilariously incompetent on their part and would lead to a literal civil war within the party), stating that they would "temporarily suspend access" was an asinine thing to do from an operational standpoint. Considering the breach had already been resolved and that unless the Sanders campaign had a team of hackers who could break into the Clinton data - but only if they had access to their own voter file - restricting access makes literally no sense. Complain about ethics and theft all you want: you know it makes absolutely no sense to maintain a suspension.

The fact that they appear to be reversing course so soon after the fact is either a) an indicator that they believe sufficient damage has been done, or b) they determined that it has not played out as they had hoped. I cannot specify which of those is the case, but I find it hard to believe that this has done any actual damage to Sanders, at minimum.

The Bernie campaign was claiming damages of over $600k a day. Now this has been a day, but there is some possibility that could be offset from increased donations from angry supporters. But there's also the effect of having this story go to the media in the first place.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #348 on: December 19, 2015, 12:22:48 AM »

How weird that this story first breaks around midnight EST and it looks like cooler heads prevailed at the DNC around midnight EST.

The Bernie campaign was claiming damages of over $600k a day. Now this has been a day, but there is some possibility that could be offset from increased donations from angry supporters. But there's also the effect of having this story go to the media in the first place.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Sanders raised several million dollars today based on the intensity seen on social media and beyond. Petitions that aren't legally-binding are fycking useless but there was white-hot anger on display by the very fact that this petition - which has slowed down considerably in the past 8 hours or so - got 200,000 signatures in just a few hours. That kind of stuff just doesn't happen for...well, anything. It blew up so quickly that I didn't even receive an email from MoveOn about it by the time it had hit that mark.

I'd like to think of an irate and very body language-active Sanders telling that neoliberal, warmongering, corporatist, sketchy harpy-b[inks]h that all he needs is 2 points in a national general election to completely rat-fyck her party, but I'm sure he didn't handle things that way.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #349 on: December 19, 2015, 12:24:55 AM »

Boston Herald's cover for tomorrow:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies