Jewish dentist denied military clearance because he has family in Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:30:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jewish dentist denied military clearance because he has family in Israel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jewish dentist denied military clearance because he has family in Israel  (Read 3332 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2015, 05:32:08 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/divided-loyalties-queens-dentist-helping-navy-article-1.2469740

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 05:44:12 PM »

Well it seems reasonable.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 05:54:34 PM »

No, it really, really doesn't.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »

When I was child professional soldiers in the Danish army was banned from visiting Yugoslavia (which was a neutral country and popular tourist spot before the wars), because the Danish state saw it as a security risk. The point about a army and other security forces is not to be fair or nice, it is to protect the state's security, and people with connections to the Israeli state are a security risk. So yes it's quite reasonable.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 06:17:56 PM »

You can be denied a security clearance just for marrying a Canadian citizen. The requirements are quite strict and not all behavior prohibited by them is necessarily "bad". I'll point out that Israel has stolen classified information from the US before so there are valid concerns.

However I don't believe a base dentist should be subject to such a high level of scrutiny.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 06:25:26 PM »

However I don't believe a base dentist should be subject to such a high level of scrutiny.

This is a big part of why I think it's unreasonable.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 06:30:36 PM »

This is a big part of why I think it's unreasonable.

Well, spies are usually people above suspicion.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 10:02:56 PM »

I think we all know Rubio Republican wouldn't be posting this if the dentist had, say, family in Pakistan.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 10:15:59 PM »

It's almost as if people care about bigotry aimed directly against them.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 10:24:04 PM »

Are family ties to Israel a valid concern? Yes.
Does a dentist need a security clearance? No.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 10:56:54 PM »

Dentists can do all sorts of nefarious things. Haven't you ever watched Diamonds Are Forever?

More seriously, since it's an off base facility, the only reason I can think of for worrying about a security clearance for a dentist is that his patients might say something sensitive while under anesthesia.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 08:23:24 AM »

What are they worried about? Mossad gaining crucial military data on military personnel's flossing regime?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »

I care (I'm Jewish), but

I think we all know Rubio Republican wouldn't be posting this if the dentist had, say, family in Pakistan.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »

The problem here is not this guy's ethnicity or his religion. It's that he has immediate family who are citizens of a foreign country in a militarily sensitive region of the world.

No one has a "right" to be in the military. Having close ties to foreigners is an impediment to serving effectively.
This almost certainly bars any Muslim/Middle Eastern Christians from the position does it not?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »

The problem here is not this guy's ethnicity or his religion. It's that he has immediate family who are citizens of a foreign country in a militarily sensitive region of the world.

No one has a "right" to be in the military. Having close ties to foreigners is an impediment to serving effectively.
This almost certainly bars any Muslim/Middle Eastern Christians from the position does it not?

If they have immediate family living in their country of origin, as this guy does, of course it does.

Do you want to let somebody on a military base who's calling Mama and Uncle Ahmed in Syria or Iraq every week? Let's not be foolish.

FTR, several Middle Eastern members of my family have served in the military going back to the Korean War. But like most early/mid-20th century immigrants, they were people who didn't leave anything behind when they immigrated. No immediate family left overseas and very few opportunities to travel there. So the chances of someone having information intercepted or being blackmailed were lower. Obviously cell phones and online banking didn't exist. That's not the case for people nowadays.

I don't quite see the problem with this?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 04:39:26 PM »

Not speaking for Rubio Republican, but I'm sure he'd agree with me: I would most definitely care if this happened to anyone of any other nationality or ethnicity as well.

Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 08:35:51 PM »

I care (I'm Jewish), but

Who would have posted it if I didn't?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 08:40:01 PM »

Not speaking for Rubio Republican, but I'm sure he'd agree with me: I would most definitely care if this happened to anyone of any other nationality or ethnicity as well.

Absolutely. I would think it was wrong. It seems like the height of paranoia. It does depend somewhat on the status of relations with the country, of course - an ally nation deserves less scrutiny - but in general, someone being an immigrant with family abroad should not disqualify someone from a military position.

But let's be real, incidents like this affecting Jewish people would get no airtime here unless Jewish people called attention to them. Jews are allowed to focus on anti-semitism much like any group is allowed to focus on incidents targeting them.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 01:52:58 AM »

Absolutely. I would think it was wrong. It seems like the height of paranoia. It does depend somewhat on the status of relations with the country, of course - an ally nation deserves less scrutiny - but in general, someone being an immigrant with family abroad should not disqualify someone from a military position.

But let's be real, incidents like this affecting Jewish people would get no airtime here unless Jewish people called attention to them. Jews are allowed to focus on anti-semitism much like any group is allowed to focus on incidents targeting them.

Most American Jews have never lived in Israel and do not have close family in Israel. This isn't an issue that would come up for most American Jews.

Stop making this into a Jewish/anti-Semitic issue when it's essentially an Israeli issue and by extension an "Americans with close foreign ties" issue.
We have one running for president who did. Does this make him unqualified? Also keep in mind that he has another close relative literally holding elected office in another country.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 05:29:59 PM »

Most American Jews have never lived in Israel and do not have close family in Israel. This isn't an issue that would come up for most American Jews.

Stop making this into a Jewish/anti-Semitic issue when it's essentially an Israeli issue and by extension an "Americans with close foreign ties" issue.
We have one running for president who did. Does this make him unqualified? Also keep in mind that he has another close relative literally holding elected office in another country.

Given our "special relationship" with Great Britain, no, I do not consider that an issue.
Explain, and furthermore you ignored the first part of my reply.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 10:06:35 AM »

Yes, I think army personnel who are licensed to inject our troops with truth serum should have a military clearance.  But then again I'm not a part of Israel first cry baby caucus.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »

Dentists can do all sorts of nefarious things. Haven't you ever watched Diamonds Are Forever?

More seriously, since it's an off base facility, the only reason I can think of for worrying about a security clearance for a dentist is that his patients might say something sensitive while under anesthesia.
Marathon man still makes me cringe.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies