MARCO RUBIO: CANDIDATE OF THE YOUTH
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:53:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  MARCO RUBIO: CANDIDATE OF THE YOUTH
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MARCO RUBIO: CANDIDATE OF THE YOUTH  (Read 1452 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:55:16 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »

Bush's youthful dress sense is apparently paying off.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 08:02:05 PM »

The idea that young people will like Rubio because he's the youngest candidate has always been in insane one. Obama didn't win young voters because he was younger than Hillary/McCain, he won them because he actually had charisma and talked about issues that college-aged voters cared about. Bernie Sanders is popular with young voters despite being an ancient old white guy.

Rubio has almost no speaking ability, and has made foreign policy the center of his campaign. Neither young Republicans or young Democrats give a s**t about foreign policy, at least not as their first concern. The whole "RUBIO IS THE REPUBLICAN OBAMA, BECAUSE HE'S YOUNG AND A MINORITY" is based on a complete misunderstanding of why Obama succeeded.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 08:20:12 PM »

As if the youth vote (even in the GOP) would get behind the candidate with one of the most vicious social policies?

And the youth vote in the Dem race would have ended up with whomever the main alternative to Clinton would have been.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 08:43:17 PM »

The idea that young people will like Rubio because he's the youngest candidate has always been in insane one. Obama didn't win young voters because he was younger than Hillary/McCain, he won them because he actually had charisma and talked about issues that college-aged voters cared about. Bernie Sanders is popular with young voters despite being an ancient old white guy.

Rubio has almost no speaking ability, and has made foreign policy the center of his campaign. Neither young Republicans or young Democrats give a s**t about foreign policy, at least not as their first concern. The whole "RUBIO IS THE REPUBLICAN OBAMA, BECAUSE HE'S YOUNG AND A MINORITY" is based on a complete misunderstanding of why Obama succeeded.

This is why they should purge the youth out of the military. They're desecrating it.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 08:58:43 PM »

It's fascinating how two of the most popular candidates among young people in recent years have been really old guys--Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders.

You are wrong on this issue lol

Yeah, I care about foreign policy, but it's just that myself (and presumably many other younger voters) disagree with Rubio's positions.

You know, if someone talked about all the issues I agree with, I'd actually have a lower opinion of them if they disagreed with me on those issues.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »

On the other hand...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/12/14/should-hillary-clinton-be-worried-about-marco-rubio-probably-heres-why/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm sure the DNC will get on this problem right away and take care not to damage their relationship with the legions of young people excited by Bernie Sanders.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 10:19:57 PM »

On the other hand...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/12/14/should-hillary-clinton-be-worried-about-marco-rubio-probably-heres-why/

I'm sure the DNC will get on this problem right away and take care not to damage their relationship with the legions of young people excited by Bernie Sanders.

Yeah, Trump does a heck of a lot better than Rubio among young voters in the GOP primary, but which of them does better among youngs against Hillary Clinton in a general election matchup?  I'm too lazy to look it up myself, but maybe someone else is so motivated?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 10:25:47 PM »

Rubio's appeal to the youths is why he does better in general election polls. However that is likely to become more difficult as he gets to be better known to GE voters as his various policies are not exactly in line with younger voters, notably on war, LGBT, climate, abortion, etc. And then of course there are his positions on exposing DREAMers to deportation again, which should bring his Latino support back towards Romney levels
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:48 PM »

Let me rephrase. Most young people don't care about foreign policy, but the ones that do tend to people who would oppose Rubio's hawkish views.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 12:03:16 AM »

I tend to picture Rubio as having two main constituencies:

1) The media and the pundits
2) Neglected middle aged housewives who are bitter that their husbands spend all their time spamming online comments and polls about how great Trump is. As her husband cheers and screams at the TV during the Trump debate zingers, the wife is quietly fantasizing about that pretty young Hispanic boy being her "gardener."

I don't think either of these qualifies as a "youth candidate."
Trapsy

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 12:10:01 AM »

Preach!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 12:26:30 AM »

On the other hand...

Yeah, Trump does a heck of a lot better than Rubio among young voters in the GOP primary, but which of them does better among youngs against Hillary Clinton in a general election matchup?  I'm too lazy to look it up myself, but maybe someone else is so motivated?

To answer my own question...

I just looked at the Fox poll that just came out, and Rubio leads Clinton by 1 point (43%-42%) among the under 35 demo.  Doing better among that group than he does among the over 65s (?).  It's a weird poll, though, because all of the Republicans except Trump have strong #s among youngs against Clinton.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 04:28:26 AM »

On the other hand...

I just looked at the Fox poll that just came out, and Rubio leads Clinton by 1 point (43%-42%) among the under 35 demo.  Doing better among that group than he does among the over 65s (?).  It's a weird poll, though, because all of the Republicans except Trump have strong #s among youngs against Clinton.

Anybody would do better than Hillary among youngs.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 04:53:28 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2015, 07:04:47 AM by Reaganfan »

The biggest difference between myself and other "youth voters" (even though I'm 27 and no longer fit in the 18-25 voter group) is a mean-spirited conspiratorial cynicism that I don't have.

Let me give an example. We have an enemy, and they have to be defeated. America will prevail God Bless America, we're great they suck, end of story. I hold that Roosevelt/Ike/JFK/Nixon/Reagan/Clinton/Bush sort of viewpoint.

Younger people tend to often have a more cynical view of our own country. Kinda this "blame ourselves" attitude that I don't have. I mean for Christ's sake, I meet young people who think Bill Clinton and George Bush blew up the World Trade Center with missiles. I meet young people who think Sandy Hook never happened. How screwed in the head are these people? How disrespectful to our leaders and our country and the victims on planes and the parents of slain children? It disgusts me. It scares me...and I can't figure out why they think this way....or why they would want to.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 07:41:38 AM »

On the other hand...

As much as the young people I know HATE trump, they do not like Hillary Clinton either. They actually perceive Marco Rubio as more moderate due to the way he speaks, they like Rand Pauls foreign policy, and really like Bernie sanders.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 07:45:45 AM »

It's fascinating how two of the most popular candidates among young people in recent years have been really old guys--Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders.

Yeah, I care about foreign policy, but it's just that myself (and presumably many other younger voters) disagree with Rubio's positions.

You know, if someone talked about all the issues I agree with, I'd actually have a lower opinion of them if they disagreed with me on those issues.

This was also true in 1988 as Lloyd Bentsen was far and away the most popular of the four Presidential/Vice Presidential candidates with young people and the youngish Dan Quayle was probably the most unpopular.

I think it mainly has to do with the idea of 'authenticity.'
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »

Why would any non-Floridian who isn't following the Republican primaries know anything about Marco Rubio?

General election polls are not particularly meaningful at this point, but they're especially worthless when the potential candidate is a first-term Senator who  hasn't done anything particularly newsworthy since he was elected aside from his abortive involvement with the Gang of Eight. (And how many voters would remember that offhand?)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 06:38:16 PM »

22% not sure. That's something he could build on.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »

Younger conservatives dig Jeb.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 07:34:49 PM »

You can tell just by visiting this board.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 07:36:18 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2015, 07:40:01 PM by EliteLX »

edit: JLB buddy, JLB.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length