Behind-the-scenes Rubio crash??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:00:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Behind-the-scenes Rubio crash??
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Behind-the-scenes Rubio crash??  (Read 1664 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »

He's dropped like ten points on PredictIt in the last couple days.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »

Looks like I sold at exactly the right time.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »

People are realizing that his campaign is a shallow media creation.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »

Traders are finally catching up to Atlas reality. Forgive me Lief for not believing in the Donald, but I did follow through on Cruz.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 10:52:54 PM »

The Jeb bubble bursting created the Rubio bubble, and now this one is finally bursting.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 11:24:23 PM »

The problem is that a Rubio win is looking more and more like a bank shot.  It is becoming clearer that he has no chance to win IA (with Cruz favored) and NH is looking more and more like a multi-candidate pile-up in the establishment lane (leaving Trump likely winner).

The only historical model for someone losing early states and yet winning nomination is Clinton 1992, but there are many reasons why that doesn't fit. The only other model for a win is the fictional West Wing Matt Santos 2006 win, by going into a brokered convention as one of three holding big blocks of delegates and eventually getting the establishment to rally behind you.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 11:25:42 PM »

A piece just came out about his total lack of ground game in pretty much all of the early states. That might have had something to do with it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:18 PM »

The Jeb bubble bursting created the Rubio bubble, and now this one is finally bursting.

NO MORE BUBBLES! INVEST IN GOLD!

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 11:32:42 PM »

So is the baton going to be passed to Chris Christie now? Talk about great timing.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 11:36:33 PM »

After a month and a half of a vaporware surge where he never got above 15% on the RCP average, people are finally realizing what I've been saying for a while: Rubio is a hollow shell of a national-candidate.

Heck, he's on virtually the same steep downward slope as Carson, now:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 11:42:51 PM »

Only a matter of time before Trump overtakes Rubio for 2nd place (and then possibly Cruz later for 1st).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 12:18:49 AM »

The only historical model for someone losing early states and yet winning nomination is Clinton 1992, but there are many reasons why that doesn't fit. The only other model for a win is the fictional West Wing Matt Santos 2006 win, by going into a brokered convention as one of three holding big blocks of delegates and eventually getting the establishment to rally behind you.

True, but basically every Republican nomination contest in the modern era up until 2008 had a single, strong establishment frontrunner (who went on to win).  Since that isn't happening this time, there are few clear historical parallels no matter what happens.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 12:37:20 AM »

So is the baton going to be passed to Chris Christie now? Talk about great timing.

My thoughts exactly.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 01:50:49 AM »

Traders are finally catching up to Atlas reality. Forgive me Lief for not believing in the Donald, but I did follow through on Cruz.

They let Americans play?? I missed a chance to lose some money.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »

Rubio's now in third behind Trump.
yankeesfan
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 04:15:59 PM »

PredictIt right now

Cruz 34%
Trump 28%
Rubio 27%
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 04:29:09 PM »

I think the Rubio campaign publicly admitting that they won't win any early states might've hurt them a bit.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 04:58:03 PM »

Cruz is not the frontrunner, but he's perhaps the favorite to win.

Most realistic 2016 ticket:

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »

Cruz may have drawn Rubio blood over the illegals issue. Cruz is going to regret that.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 05:09:38 PM »

Cruz may have drawn Rubio blood over the illegals issue. Cruz is going to regret that.

More likely everyone starts to understand that Rubio is a lazy candidate who is unable (or unwilling) to capitalize on the fact that he got lucky with Jeb's implosion.
There have been numerous article last week about how Republicans in Iowa and New Hampshire are pissed off with his unwillingness to campaign in their states.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 09:26:23 PM »

More likely everyone starts to understand that Rubio is a lazy candidate who is unable (or unwilling) to capitalize on the fact that he got lucky with Jeb's implosion.
There have been numerous article last week about how Republicans in Iowa and New Hampshire are pissed off with his unwillingness to campaign in their states.

I don't think Rubio is a "lazy candidate" per se, I think he's playing for 2020 or 2024, not 2016. He's setting groundwork, nothing more.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 09:44:26 PM »

I don't think Rubio is a "lazy candidate" per se, I think he's playing for 2020 or 2024, not 2016. He's setting groundwork, nothing more.

Why would he when the party wants to hand him the nomination this year on a silver platter and Hillary is a remarkably beatable democratic candidate?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 09:57:03 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2015, 10:06:52 PM by Runeghost »

Why would he when the party wants to hand him the nomination this year on a silver platter and Hillary is a remarkably beatable democratic candidate?

I can think of a couple reasons why Rubio would follow Carson into gliding his candidacy down to a smooth landing. He's not ready to be President, or even run for President, and he knows it. He needs executive experience, badly. He needs experience running a huge campaign equally badly.

Perhaps he just doesn't want to take his current good rep and weak resume into the bloody knife fight that he sees the primary turning into, only to go up against the flawed but experienced and ruthless Clinton machine as the candidate of the most reprehensible GOP primary season in memory.

Rubio is young, and I find it entirely plausible that he'd decide bowing out gracefully would be better than risking destroying his career by participating in a bloody clown show that ends with the GOP losing to Hillary, their nemesis for decades. (I'm not certain I agree that it's the right call for him, or anyone, but I can see the logic behind it.)

Also, just to float an idea, bowing out before NH and decisively throwing his support behind Christie or Bush could do a lot to repair any party goodwill that may have been damaged during the campaign.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies