The Century Foundation Suggests 19 Proposals to Strengthen Obamacare
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:28:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Century Foundation Suggests 19 Proposals to Strengthen Obamacare
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Century Foundation Suggests 19 Proposals to Strengthen Obamacare  (Read 518 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »

They include:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://apps.tcf.org/key-proposals-to-strengthen-the-aca
----------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »

Those all sound pretty good, but I don't think Republicans would agree to any of them. There are 2 main things I would fix about the law:

Retool the "Cadillac tax" to be based on the actuarial value of the plan (the percentage of medical costs the plan theoretically covers for an average person), rather than the premium, which inadvertently targets older and sicker groups.

Expand subsidies above 400% of FPL. Right now, premiums at 400% are capped at 9.56% of income, and at 401% you get nothing at all. The subsidies would peter out pretty soon above 400% anyway -- just cap them at 9.56% (or rise up to 10% or whatever) above 400% FPL and then you don't have people right at the dividing line worry and fretting about not making too much money...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »

Those all sound pretty good, but I don't think Republicans would agree to any of them. There are 2 main things I would fix about the law:

Retool the "Cadillac tax" to be based on the actuarial value of the plan (the percentage of medical costs the plan theoretically covers for an average person), rather than the premium, which inadvertently targets older and sicker groups.

Expand subsidies above 400% of FPL. Right now, premiums at 400% are capped at 9.56% of income, and at 401% you get nothing at all. The subsidies would peter out pretty soon above 400% anyway -- just cap them at 9.56% (or rise up to 10% or whatever) above 400% FPL and then you don't have people right at the dividing line worry and fretting about not making too much money...

yeah, a sliding scale is the way to means test mosy transfer payment benefits (and usually apply most taxes)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies