NY-22: Hanna (R) retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:00:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-22: Hanna (R) retiring
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-22: Hanna (R) retiring  (Read 2090 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »

Article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2015, 02:54:46 PM by Maxwell »

He barely won his primary last time, sadly enough he was probably going to lose this time against his Santorum-ite primary opponent. By the way, this is a good potential democrat pick-up now - Hanna was a perfect fit for the district, and now the Republicans will almost definitely nominate a hard right conservative.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 02:37:39 PM »

Safe R --> Lean R
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 02:45:51 PM »

These New York delegation are easy targets for Dems, Dems are hoping to do well.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 03:04:08 PM »

D+1 hopefully.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »

Should be D+1, but D recruitment in update NY is horrendous.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »

If we can't find new talent, then maybe we should just plug in Mike Arcuri and try him again.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 11:27:35 PM »

If we can't find new talent, then maybe we should just plug in Mike Arcuri and try him again.

AFAIK - he is a lobbist now, and isn't very interested in running again...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 02:51:44 AM »

With Hanna, Gibson and Fitzpatrick among Republicans (and, possibly, Graham among Democrats) retiring, and Dold, Curbello, Ashford and some other - seriously endangered. the next Democratic and Republican caucuses may be the most "ideologically pure" (and absolutely boring) for all 40+ years i follow American electoral process. Sigh........
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 03:41:57 AM »

With Hanna, Gibson and Fitzpatrick among Republicans (and, possibly, Graham among Democrats) retiring, and Dold, Curbello, Ashford and some other - seriously endangered. the next Democratic and Republican caucuses may be the most "ideologically pure" (and absolutely boring) for all 40+ years i follow American electoral process. Sigh........

People say this every election cycle.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 07:19:48 AM »

People say this every election cycle.

And they are correct. The first congressional cycle i observed was 1972, and i still fondly remember it. Time, when one could still find Javits and Case among Republicans, and Eastland and Rarick among Democrats.. It was much less predictable, much less correlated with presidential voting, and much more exciting... Now it's usually one big yawn....((((
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 09:30:38 AM »

Just because something is "boring" doesn't mean it is a bad thing, but I do agree that the polarization of parties is a very bad thing. I don't really care for having a actual liberal GOP wing or a actual conservative Dem wing but I do think pragmatism needs to be promoted and encouraged.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 11:21:19 AM »
« Edited: December 26, 2015, 12:05:21 PM by smoltchanov »

Just because something is "boring" doesn't mean it is a bad thing, but I do agree that the polarization of parties is a very bad thing. I don't really care for having a actual liberal GOP wing or a actual conservative Dem wing but I do think pragmatism needs to be promoted and encouraged.

I even care about actual liberal GOP wing and actual conservative Democratic wings, and BIG overlap between main parties (after all - there are only 2 of them in US, unlike many countries of Europe). For me present situation, when even the most conservative Democratic congressman is substantially more liberal then most liberal Republican one, is simply absurd. That's why i longe about 1970th in this matter))) When pragmatists had much bigger say too. Unlike present "i am a boss - you are a fool, you are a boss - i am a fool" situation (and who is a "boss" is determined by simply a number of "D"'s and "R"'s elected, because no INTRAparty dissent is expected or tolerated), and "two armies of faithful til soldiers" standing before each other without any desire to hear opponent's argumentation...

IMHO - both present major political parties in US are, internally, absolutely "nondemocratic" (with small "d"), tolerate no dissent within them, and, in most cases, are led by extremely "pure" ideological "zealots" (and it doesn't matter whether these zealots are "right-wing teabaggers" or "left-wing moonbats"), and, thus - not very different from what may be, observed, say, in Russia, or similar countries. Contrary to what was 40-50 years ago, when Alabama's Democratic party was very different from national one, and the same - for Massachusetts's Republican party. Now you need a magnifying galss to find even subtle differences (which are natural because of different history, people and traditions) between them and national parties.  Alabama's Democratic party essentially evolved in racial "Black party"... Yes, more developed system of "checks and balances" and somewhat different past and mentality so far prevented US from demagogic dictators, but, looking on Trump candidacy this year, i am not sure it will for long. After all Donald Trump is really close to hybrid of Vladimir Putin and Vladimir Zhirinovski of Russia))))

P.S. And, contrary to most European countries essentially there is nothing "third" for people who dislike BOTH that ideological Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Only them...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 08:28:39 AM »

Given that the district was lost because he was a lazy sh!tty incumbent... why?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 12:29:06 AM »

Yeah Arcuri was a dumb who made a sh!tton of stupid campaign moves and actually flip flopped to oppose Obamacare after initially voting for it, the type of flip flop that appeases no one. There has to be someone better.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 03:36:19 AM »

Yeah Arcuri was a dumb who made a sh!tton of stupid campaign moves and actually flip flopped to oppose Obamacare after initially voting for it, the type of flip flop that appeases no one. There has to be someone better.

Who? I really fear that Tenney will win "by default"....
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies