Places where "right-to-work" is actually popular
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:18:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Places where "right-to-work" is actually popular
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Places where "right-to-work" is actually popular  (Read 2425 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 01:04:29 AM »

Additionally, the union most poor people are likely to be forced into, if they are ever forced into a union, is the United Food and Commercial Workers, which is evil and will take $500 a year from you in return for "negotiating" a wage which is usually lower than competing non-union business. So given the choice between being forced to join a crappy union and keeping your pay, people choose to keep their pay.

Indeed. I was briefly a member of a union, and I just loved paying unions dues to make $1/hr less than my private sector friend in a similar job.

GROSSLY uncharacteristic pay discrepancy if true.

Anti-union propaganda.    Make no mistake about it car manufacture for example move to southern states because they can get away with paying lower wages.  Stats consistently show high rates of poverty, income inequality along with bad heathcare in the SOUTH.  If you don't see a correlation  here then you have been brain washed by the anti-union propaganda.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 02:49:32 AM »

Additionally, the union most poor people are likely to be forced into, if they are ever forced into a union, is the United Food and Commercial Workers, which is evil and will take $500 a year from you in return for "negotiating" a wage which is usually lower than competing non-union business. So given the choice between being forced to join a crappy union and keeping your pay, people choose to keep their pay.

Indeed. I was briefly a member of a union, and I just loved paying unions dues to make $1/hr less than my private sector friend in a similar job.

Anti-union propaganda.    Make no mistake about it car manufacture for example move to southern states because they can get away with paying lower wages.  Stats consistently show high rates of poverty, income inequality along with bad heathcare in the SOUTH.  If you don't see a correlation  here then you have been brain washed by the anti-union propaganda.

Um, you do realize that was kinda my point, right? Wink
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 09:13:23 AM »

Sure, but its an example fitting with Mortimer's larger point. Unions aren't magic and can only exploit existing conditions. In certain low skill, low wage industries, their benefit is questionable.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 07:50:07 AM »

In certain low skill, low wage industries, their benefit is questionable.

In the lowest skill, lowest wage industries, you won't find any unions.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2015, 09:39:32 AM »

Everywhere there is productivity there is a right to work throughout the state.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies