Interstate Abortion Regulation Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:49:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Interstate Abortion Regulation Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Interstate Abortion Regulation Act (Failed)  (Read 1789 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »
« edited: January 26, 2016, 04:54:38 PM by Speaker Cris »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Citizen Potus
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:08:23 PM »

If I recall from Roe v Zuwo the Senate has no power to regulate abortion
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »

Just a thought, but complying with this:

would be a logistical nightmare to deal with, and potentially lead to the deaths of expectant mothers in need of emergency abortions.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 06:46:32 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2015, 06:48:41 AM by Ebowed »

What is the rationale for treating women this way other than the basis that they are from the wrong location?

Do we normally deny rights to people because they are from another location?  I.e. do we prohibit people from purchasing alcohol in Missouri if they are from a dry county in Kentucky?  Do we have a database of women who live in the "incorrect" state so that they may be denied the right to access an abortion?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »

The Senate has the power to regulate interstate commerce. This doesn't deal with the issue of abortion in the way we think about it (ban vs. legalize). This is a matter of licensing, regulation, etc. That circumvents the constitutional limits on the Senate's power to regulate abortion.

I suppose I could agree to an exception for life-threatening emergency abortions as attested to by medical professionals. However, PiT, the idea is to create a logistical nightmare for an industry built on the destruction of life. I don't want to make their job easy. I want the practice of abortion limited to absolute medical necessity, and even then I believe it should be left to the discretion of the woman.

If you're in the business of wanting to make life easy for abortionists, then you shouldn't vote for this bill but you also shouldn't call yourself a conservative.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »

The Senate has the power to regulate interstate commerce. This doesn't deal with the issue of abortion in the way we think about it (ban vs. legalize). This is a matter of licensing, regulation, etc. That circumvents the constitutional limits on the Senate's power to regulate abortion.

That's a very specific interpretation of the constitution. Abortion is a medical procedure-not a commercial one in my view   
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »

I suppose I could agree to an exception for life-threatening emergency abortions as attested to by medical professionals. However, PiT, the idea is to create a logistical nightmare for an industry built on the destruction of life. I don't want to make their job easy. I want the practice of abortion limited to absolute medical necessity, and even then I believe it should be left to the discretion of the woman.

If you're in the business of wanting to make life easy for abortionists, then you shouldn't vote for this bill but you also shouldn't call yourself a conservative.

The right-wing survives in Atlasia by being a big tent and uniting people of various persuasions who find themselves opposed to the hard-left dogma of Labor. Telling people that they cannot associate with the right-wing because of a position they hold on a single, specific issue is antithetical to the success of the Atlasian right. You may want to think about that before you play the No True Scotsman card on me.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »

You're pro-life, PiT. I'm not talking about you. But I do want you to save lives. This isn't an issue to play political football, this is an issue of life and death.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »

I'm pro-life, but I don't like the way this law is proposed. Residents of one region are not subject to its laws while outside of its borders in other cases, so I feel like this law would set a dangerous precedent.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 06:14:32 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2016, 06:16:06 PM by Ebowed »

I motion to amend the text of Section 1 to include some additions, noted in bold.

"Any abortion clinic providing abortions to out-of-state clients must hold emergency room admittance privileges at a nearby hospital, comply with the health and surgical regulations of every jurisdiction their clients are legal residents and/or citizens of, notify the parents of minors seeking abortions as well as the spouses of married women seeking abortions, require a vaginal ultrasound before the abortion is performed, adhere to a mandatory 96 hour waiting period following vaginal ultrasounds, and maintain a clinical psychologist on staff during all times abortions may be performed who will explain to all patients that abortion is linked to breast cancer regardless of any contradicting evidence."

In the spirit of this bill, it occurs to me that women may be residing in an area with more lenient restrictions on abortion than their original country of origin.  It will be much more difficult for dual citizens to obtain an abortion if clinics have to adhere to the regulations from foreign countries.

I also think leaving out spousal notification may have been an accidental oversight, so it's best to include it.

Vaginal ultrasounds with mandatory waiting periods are a proven delay tactic which will help contribute to the logistical nightmare you seek.

Given the tenuous reasoning for having a psychologist on staff, perhaps it would be better to make abundantly clear what their actual purpose is in this entire endeavor.

If we dig a little bit deeper, I'm sure there are other ways we could make women's lives more difficult.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 10:55:18 PM »

Another half-baked attempt to violate the rights of women and trample upon the Constitution, I see. It will be a pleasure to laugh this bill out of town.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »

Am I to assume that the sponsor of this legislation agrees with the amendments proposed?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 07:06:39 PM »

If we dig a little bit deeper, I'm sure there are other ways we could make women's lives more difficult.
Indeed. So long as we're rolling women's rights back to the 17th Century, why not go the whole hog?

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 06:49:45 AM »

I motion to amend the text of Section 1 to include some additions, noted in bold.

"Any abortion clinic providing abortions to out-of-state clients must hold emergency room admittance privileges at a nearby hospital, comply with the health and surgical regulations of every jurisdiction their clients are legal residents and/or citizens of, notify the parents of minors seeking abortions as well as the spouses of married women seeking abortions, require a vaginal ultrasound before the abortion is performed, adhere to a mandatory 96 hour waiting period following vaginal ultrasounds, and maintain a clinical psychologist on staff during all times abortions may be performed who will explain to all patients that abortion is linked to breast cancer regardless of any contradicting evidence."

Senators have 24 hours to object.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 08:46:26 AM »

I'm pro-life, but I don't like the way this law is proposed. Residents of one region are not subject to its laws while outside of its borders in other cases, so I feel like this law would set a dangerous precedent.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 10:45:01 AM »

Objecting to Ebowed's amendment, for obvious reasons.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 03:03:47 PM »

A vote on Ebowed's amendment is now open.
Please vote.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »

Heh.

Nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 05:44:41 PM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »

Abstain. Obvious troll attempt is obvious.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 07:40:31 PM »

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 07:47:58 PM »

Abstain. Obvious troll attempt is obvious.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 09:47:05 PM »

Well, I beg your pardon, but it's not "obvious trolling", it makes just as much sense as the original legislation and it is very much in spirit of what the bill hopes to accomplish.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 10:16:53 PM »

Aye.

Senator Ebowed rather hits the nail on the head with this troubled legislation.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »

Nay
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies