Cruz sees Bush, Christie and Kasich as 'allies' against Rubio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:50:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Cruz sees Bush, Christie and Kasich as 'allies' against Rubio
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cruz sees Bush, Christie and Kasich as 'allies' against Rubio  (Read 352 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:00:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428825/ted-cruz-conservative-strategy-marco-rubio-moderate
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:34:47 PM »

Obviously. Christie and Bush, in addition to taking shots at each other, have been hitting Rubio at every opportunity with Bush allies reportedly going for character assassination. (And Kasich has been attacking Christie.) It all helps Trump and Cruz but here's also good analysis of establishment panic in New Hampshire with a roadmap for them. If Rubio pressures Kasich out (maybe by dangling VP in front of him though not clear he'd want it seeing as how he's already in his 60s) and gets McCain, Romney and the Union-Leader to endorse him, he could make a run at clearing the establishment lane to make it a 3-person race or even winning it and ending Trump.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/12/new_hampshire_is_looking_terrible_for_the_gop_establishment_s_candidates.html
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »

I agree if Rubio can consolidate and get dropouts before NH he has a shot, but I dont think that is going to happen. I think the big money and most of Congress and the GOP Govs are waiting to see what happens in NH. The Govs may especially feel some loyalty to Christie as he was head of RGA and did a good job so they are likely not to turn on him until he is done.

Also the Union Leader already endorsed Christie. So again, the establishment is basically paralyzed until NH is over. But will it be too late?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »

The Union-Leader has already endorsed Christie and has repeatedly attacked Rubio for ignoring the state.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »

I agree if Rubio can consolidate and get dropouts before NH he has a shot, but I dont think that is going to happen. I think the big money and most of Congress and the GOP Govs are waiting to see what happens in NH. The Govs may especially feel some loyalty to Christie as he was head of RGA and did a good job so they are likely not to turn on him until he is done.

Also the Union Leader already endorsed Christie. So again, the establishment is basically paralyzed until NH is over. But will it be too late?

I think it might be too late now, and that we're already looking at nominee Cruz (or a convention fight). All because "the establishment" doesn't have a good candidate. The closest they have to an Establishment Not-Trump (or ENT) are Bush, Kasich, Christie, and Rubio. All of them are problematic. Rubio once looked good after Bush's downward spiral, but his complete and utter failure to seize anything, leverage his momentum, or even run a good campaign has tarnished him.

What the establishment needs to do is somehow pick the least bad of them, get the others to drop out before NH, and then have the ENT win NH over Cruz and Trump. But there's no good mechanism to do that, except NH itself. And, with all (or most) of them in NH, it's filtering effectiveness is greatly weakened.

It's not that hard to see a situation where two or more ENTs stay in through (or beyond!) Super Tuesday. Sure, they'll be behind Cruz and Trump in the delegate count, but with such a split its increasingly more likely that the convention will be brokered, which in turn makes staying in, even with a handful of delegates, make more sense.

Or maybe enough people will drop out after IA that NH will be won by an ENT, and the ENT and Cruz will duke it out above the increasingly bellicose and irrelevant Trump, with Cruz eventually playing a slightly stronger Santorum role. And then we'll all look back at how crazy we thought it could get and laugh at how credulous we were.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies