Ted Cruz TRIGGERED by Washington Post drawing!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:49:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ted Cruz TRIGGERED by Washington Post drawing!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ted Cruz TRIGGERED by Washington Post drawing!  (Read 4302 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »

Trump is defending Cruz on this one: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/679676684501692416
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 11:15:54 AM »

This is a classic example of why I hate listening to Republicans talking about political correctness, because they don't actually care. It's just a buzzword that really riles conservatives up for various reasons, but they don't really think much about the principles behind what they're saying, or even if the term actually applies to what they're complaining about. If they did, they wouldn't be such babies.

YES. I'm glad you say this because I absolutely agree with it. I thought Republicans were supposed to be the warriors against political correctness now?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »

Ew.  Didn't we get the memo about "not portraying humans as monkeys" a long time ago?  Blaugh.  If you're going to do something like this (which I think is kind of stupid - all politicians use their kids as props at some point), at least make them marionettes or something less fraught with all sorts of unpleasant history.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »

What unpleasant history? Portraying Obama's children as monkeys would be bad for obvious reasons, but there are no bad historical connotations with portraying white people as monkeys. People drew Bush as a monkey all the time; no one found it offensive.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 12:08:20 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2015, 12:09:54 PM by Torie »

It is my assumption that there is a tacit agreement that Trump will put Cruz on the ticket if he gets the nomination. And I am beginning to guess that Christie and Rubio might cut a similar deal. The idea would be that each would get out of the way of the other in various states to maximize the aggregate delegate totals. Thus Christie would not run in Florida, a winner take all state, so that Rubio would be in a better position to win it. And after NH, the pressure on Jeb to drop out would be huge, assuming he gets only single digits in NH. Ditto for Fiorina. Meanwhile, Cruz would handle the southern states, while Trump focuses elsewhere. Both would not be running in Florida, if they want to have a reasonable chance of stopping Rubio there. It kind of seems obvious doesn't it?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »

If you're going to post the actual cartoon in this thread please include a trigger warning in the title!

A "trigger warning" for that cartoon ? C'mon.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 01:11:51 PM »

... the content of the cartoon (depicting Hispanic children as monkeys), he could have called it racist and gotten her fired.

I don't see a connection between your use of the words "Hispanic," "monkeys" and "racist."
And just because someone says/thinks its "racist" (which I don't agree with in this cartoon), doesn't mean the author would be automatically "fired" from employment.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »

... the content of the cartoon (depicting Hispanic children as monkeys), he could have called it racist and gotten her fired.

I don't see a connection between your use of the words "Hispanic," "monkeys" and "racist."
And just because someone says/thinks its "racist" (which I don't agree with in this cartoon), doesn't mean the author would be automatically "fired" from employment.

That's not how it works anymore.  Somebody thinks you're being racist?  You're fired! No questions asked.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »

This is a classic example of why I hate listening to Republicans talking about political correctness, because they don't actually care. It's just a buzzword that really riles conservatives up for various reasons, but they don't really think much about the principles behind what they're saying, or even if the term actually applies to what they're complaining about. If they did, they wouldn't be such babies.

I completely agree with this.
The other "buzzword" used by Republicans "that really riles conservatives" (mainly Tea Baggers) is the use of the phrase "how the Founding Fathers originally interpreted the Constitution" (or similar phrases).

It irks me to hear this. Many times, the Constitution has been described as a living thing; something that can and will change over time. I just doesn't make sense that the Tea Baggers would want the Constitution to be interpreted, and to conform to, exactly how the Constitution was in its original form. If that was the case, slavery would still be acceptable, and slaves would only be considered as 3/5 of a "normal" person, during a count (census).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »

That's not how it works anymore.  Somebody thinks you're being racist?  You're fired! No questions asked.

Working as a personnel manager for 3 divisions, that is not true. In the "real world" you just don't fire someone, because of an accusation. I have had a handful of "racist" complaints from employees, and not once where any of them deemed credible or severe enough for me to fire the person, based on the "racist" complaint alone.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »

I do agree in general, that candidate's children should be off-limits to cartoons, picture taking, direct articles, etc.

Some candidates have their children standing with them on stage during a rally, etc.
This is OK and normal. But I agree with some that say that Cruz should not have used his children in a commercial, and in doing so, may have invoked that his children where "in-play" for use by the media.
Krago
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2015, 04:53:22 PM »

Ted Cruz is so furious at the Washington Post for mocking his children, that he is demanding 'protest contributions' from his supporters.

Can anyone give an example of an event that a candidate wouldn't use to raise money?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2015, 05:17:52 PM »

Ted Cruz is so furious at the Washington Post for mocking his children, that he is demanding 'protest contributions' from his supporters.

Can anyone give an example of an event that a candidate wouldn't use to raise money?

I would say the death of another candidate, but given that Trump is in the race now...
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »

At least Cruz didn't play the race card. Switch Santa Cruz with Santa Obama and every single Democrat would decry it as a racist attack.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2015, 09:40:22 PM »

At least Cruz didn't play the race card. Switch Santa Cruz with Santa Obama and every single Democrat would decry it as a racist attack.

Well yeah, he's black and it would actually be racist.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »

Anyone who attacks kids is a scumbag.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »

Well yeah, he's black and it would actually be racist.

I can't believe this still needs to be said, but yes, any comparison between a black person and a monkey, ape, chimpanzee, or orangutan is racist. This cartoon is still in poor taste though. American political cartoons these days are generally terrible and have been getting worse over the years.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »

Trust the Washington Post to attack young children.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2015, 11:04:17 AM »

I completely side with Cruz on this one. As he himself said, you can attack a politician as much as you dang well please, but his children are out of your league. The idiot who made this should be fired for being an incompetent moronic hack.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2015, 12:19:17 PM »

Never mind the fact that when he used his children in an ad, they became fair game...  Roll Eyes
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »

Never mind the fact that when he used his children in an ad, they became fair game...  Roll Eyes

Maybe if the cartoon had Cruz's children chained up and looking like they're being forced into working, the cartoon would make sense. By portraying Cruz's children as monkeys, it looks very much like the cartoon is attacking the kids themselves. Thus Cruz wins the exchange.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »

I completely side with Cruz on this one. As he himself said, you can attack a politician as much as you dang well please, but his children are out of your league. The idiot who made this should be fired for being an incompetent moronic hack.

Agreed. Kids should be kept out of the political fray. (And yes, that includes candidates putting their kids in their political ads). A little common sense here, across the board, would be helpful...
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2015, 12:52:21 PM »

ITT: children commenting on a political forum about how children should be kept out of politics
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »

ITT: children commenting on a political forum about how children should be kept out of politics

What, no explanation of why you feel differently? Great contribution to the discussion...
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »

What, no explanation of why you feel differently? Great contribution to the discussion...

I'm really sick of the idea that there's a "proper" way to criticize campaigns.  These people are being trusted with the ing nuclear arsenal of the United States of America and should be subject to whatever scrutiny without concern for their feelings.  I think it's laughable that the same people who like to call anyone who criticizes them a ev0l SJW are now calling for censorship since their boy got dissed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies