The Great Republican Revolt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:13:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Great Republican Revolt
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Great Republican Revolt  (Read 1815 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 25, 2015, 02:50:33 PM »

A very long read but also a well worth your time account of how Republicans reached their current predicament and what are their choices from now on.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/01/the-great-republican-revolt/419118/

White Middle Americans express heavy mistrust of every institution in American society: not only government, but corporations, unions, even the political party they typically vote for—the Republican Party of Romney, Ryan, and McConnell, which they despise as a sad crew of weaklings and sellouts. They are pissed off. And when Donald Trump came along, they were the people who told the pollsters, “That’s my guy.”

They aren’t necessarily superconservative. They often don’t think in ideological terms at all. But they do strongly feel that life in this country used to be better for people like them—and they want that older country back.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »

Us white males must defend the country from those annoying brown skinned people who are taking OUR JOBS WE HAVE FAMILIES TO FEED DAMNIT /s
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 03:39:30 PM »

Us white males must defend the country from those annoying brown skinned people who are taking OUR JOBS WE HAVE FAMILIES TO FEED DAMNIT /s

This is the way many of this demographic sees it.  And, to be fair, why shouldn't they, at a certain level?  These are folks who do not have college educations, but whose jobs were eliminated and shipped overseas (many of them, anyway), and many who ARE employed have jobs that are not what anyone would consider a "good job"; they are jobs with lesser benefits and salary, and often jobs that require "flexible schedules".  This demographic is an older demographic.  Sure, we can send a 53 year old white male "back to school".  How much age discrimination will such a person encounter in the real-world job market when they emerge with an A. A. or A. S. degree? 

I'm in my late 50s, and I am faced with having to work longer than I ever anticipated.  Why would I be enthusiastic over the possibility of allowing new immigrants to come to America and compete for my job?  There is enough competition from Americans; why should we import more from people who don't have a RIGHT to come here?  These folks don't see immigrants as seeking a place at the table; they see immigrants as wanting to evict them from THEIR seat at the table, and they aren't entirely wrong in holding that view.  If these folks seem indifferent to the plight of immigrants, many immigrants are indifferent as to the effect their presence in the job market has on folks who believe they have "played by the rules" for decades.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »

Well, you are a brown, and this post is annoying, so I guess that defacto makes me one of those angry white males for as long as I'm reading this thread. Go figure.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 05:46:06 PM »

This is the way many of this demographic sees it.  And, to be fair, why shouldn't they, at a certain level?  These are folks who do not have college educations, but whose jobs were eliminated and shipped overseas (many of them, anyway), and many who ARE employed have jobs that are not what anyone would consider a "good job"; they are jobs with lesser benefits and salary, and often jobs that require "flexible schedules".  This demographic is an older demographic.  Sure, we can send a 53 year old white male "back to school".  How much age discrimination will such a person encounter in the real-world job market when they emerge with an A. A. or A. S. degree? 

Like an associates gets you a job any more.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 05:54:01 PM »

I'm in my late 50s, and I am faced with having to work longer than I ever anticipated.  Why would I be enthusiastic over the possibility of allowing new immigrants to come to America and compete for my job?  There is enough competition from Americans; why should we import more from people who don't have a RIGHT to come here?  These folks don't see immigrants as seeking a place at the table; they see immigrants as wanting to evict them from THEIR seat at the table, and they aren't entirely wrong in holding that view.  If these folks seem indifferent to the plight of immigrants, many immigrants are indifferent as to the effect their presence in the job market has on folks who believe they have "played by the rules" for decades.

Immigrants have historically created many more jobs than they've taken away.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 05:55:04 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2015, 05:56:38 PM by Adam T »

Pat Buchanan is not just a sleazy anti semitic hate monger, he's also as physically ugly as a man can be.

But hey, everybody knows that Hitler really didn't want to start World War II.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »

Like an associates gets you a job any more.

There are a number of guys I know from my college days who had B. A. degrees in liberal arts fields that went back to school and got A. S. degrees in technical fields and are now living off their Associates degree.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »

Pat Buchanan is not just a sleazy anti semitic hate monger, he's also as physically ugly as a man can be.

What an insightful post about this particular topic.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2015, 06:50:25 PM by Sbane »

Immigrants create more jobs than take away from Americans, especially well educated immigrants. While I can see why one would want to stop low skilled immigration, why stop high skilled immigration?

Also, many of the low skilled, illegal immigrants work jobs in the fields or in landscaping etc. Jobs that no American, whether with a college degree or not, wants to do. It is their kids, who are American citizens, who are "taking" jobs that white Americans without a college education want. So why should white American citizens have more of a right to these jobs than brown citizens? That is what you are advocating, right?

I can have sympathy for the plight of people like you, but you are in your situation due to a changing labor market. And that is mostly the cause of globalization and outsourcing, not immigration. While globalization has helped America on balance, no one can deny it has hurt Americans without a college degree. Why put the blame on immigrants though? Just need someone to scapegoat?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 06:55:18 PM »

apparently people don't understand the /s means sarcasm?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 09:09:11 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2015, 09:11:28 PM by Adam T »

I have to see that vile anti semitic (and almost certainly racist) scumbag's ugly face every time you post.

When he finally kicks off, which is long overdue, the world will be a slightly better place.  I can't wait until he's rotting in hell, which is where he belongs.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 09:28:25 PM »

I have to see that vile anti semitic (and almost certainly racist) scumbag's ugly face every time you post.

When he finally kicks off, which is long overdue, the world will be a slightly better place.  I can't wait until he's rotting in hell, which is where he belongs.
I beg to differ with you.  Pat Buchanan is not a racist.  In 2000 he chose a brilliant black woman, Ezola Foster, to be his running mate on the Reform Party ticket.
He is a great political writer and historian.  A true patriot and a devout Catholic.  And I think he looks as good as any man his age.
Your words show anger and hatred.  Why?  Buchanan has, on occasion, spoken very kindly toward Barack Obama, on issues of foreign policy.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 10:02:44 PM »

A very long read but also a well worth your time account of how Republicans reached their current predicament and what are their choices from now on.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/01/the-great-republican-revolt/419118/

White Middle Americans express heavy mistrust of every institution in American society: not only government, but corporations, unions, even the political party they typically vote for—the Republican Party of Romney, Ryan, and McConnell, which they despise as a sad crew of weaklings and sellouts. They are pissed off. And when Donald Trump came along, they were the people who told the pollsters, “That’s my guy.”

They aren’t necessarily superconservative. They often don’t think in ideological terms at all. But they do strongly feel that life in this country used to be better for people like them—and they want that older country back.

So stupid! Kennedy would despise Sanders.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2015, 10:17:13 PM by Adam T »

When he finally kicks off, which is long overdue, the world will be a slightly better place.  I can't wait until he's rotting in hell, which is where he belongs.
I beg to differ with you.  Pat Buchanan is not a racist.  In 2000 he chose a brilliant black woman, Ezola Foster, to be his running mate on the Reform Party ticket.
He is a great political writer and historian.  A true patriot and a devout Catholic.  And I think he looks as good as any man his age.
Your words show anger and hatred.  Why?  Buchanan has, on occasion, spoken very kindly toward Barack Obama, on issues of foreign policy.

I'm not an enabler for Obama on anything.  When I agree with what he does, which is much of the time, I say so, but when I disagree with him, I also say so.  For instance, that Obama lied in the 2008 campaign he would run the 'most transparent administration in history' and not only did the opposite, even being more opaque than George W Bush,  but even prosecuting leakers to a degree never seen before, I've called him out on that to, so that Pat Buchanan says the occasional nice thing about him means nothing to me.

Pat Buchanan, in addition to being one of the architects of the racist southern strategy has made numerous racist statements possibly, his most disgusting being his claim that more black and Latino Americans would result in lower I.Q scores as well as his belief that America should remain a 'white, Christian nation.'

I don't know what makes a person a 'true patriot' and I know very little of his Catholic faith other than he is the opposite of charitable human, so I doubt he has much of any genuine faith.

His historical writings are laughed at by real academic historians as being only interested in advancing his prejudices rather than making any attempt to actually determine or advance any historical understanding, especially when he expresses his near love of Adolph Hitler.

I am angry that sometimes when I come here I have to see his ugly face, and I absolutely hate him because he is vile and disgusting if not genuinely evil.  What emotion would you say is appropriate?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 10:15:50 PM »

I haven't read the article because it's apparently very long, so could you please quote what you are responding to.

However, in regards to what Kennedy would think of Sanders, maybe you haven't heard this quote from Kennedy:

My father always told me that all businessmen were sons of bitches, but I never believed it till now. -- (Comment made 10 April 1962 in reaction to news that U.S. Steel was raising prices by $6 per ton, right after the unions negotiated a modest new contract under pressure from JFK to keep inflation down.)
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 10:33:19 PM »

I haven't read the article because it's apparently very long, so could you please quote what you are responding to.

However, in regards to what Kennedy would think of Sanders, maybe you haven't heard this quote from Kennedy:

My father always told me that all businessmen were sons of bitches, but I never believed it till now. -- (Comment made 10 April 1962 in reaction to news that U.S. Steel was raising prices by $6 per ton, right after the unions negotiated a modest new contract under pressure from JFK to keep inflation down.)

Yes Kennedy was a great politician and knew how to tell people what they wanted to hear like every president who has followed him.  Have you ever heard this Kennedy quote?

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country?"

Ok now here's a Hillary Clinton quote from 2008!

"You have to ask yourselves, what's in it for me?"
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2015, 11:02:50 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2015, 11:06:38 PM by ElectionsGuy »

No joke I actually read the whole thing two days ago and was fascinated. I contemplated about sharing it here. It explains in such a good way the development of Republican voters, and how they are increasingly becoming the party of working class whites with lower educational attainments. More importantly though, that a huge portion of Republican base supporters are not what we thought they were. A majority of the Republican Party base is now more united by nationalism, nativism, and (I don't want to say straight up authoritarianism, but...) "we need a leader" rhetoric, rather than free market economic principles and constitutionalism that the tea party pretended to represent. While I don't think the portion of the Republican party that thinks this way is a dominant majority (which I will for now on call the 'Trump' wing), I think it is a majority and it will keep having its influence in elections to come. And we will continue seeing the giant disconnect between the base of the party and the party elites until they (the elites) wake up and smell the anger.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 11:05:08 PM »

Yes Kennedy was a great politician and knew how to tell people what they wanted to hear like every president who has followed him.  Have you ever heard this Kennedy quote?

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country?"

Except Kennedy almost certainly didn't write that quote whereas he absolutely came up with, and off the cuff too, I believe, his line about businessmen.
bobloblaw
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »

it isnt 1880..welcome to the 21st century. Id love to know who is employed by illegal illiterate Mexicans?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »

it isnt 1880..welcome to the 21st century. Id love to know who is employed by illegal illiterate Mexicans?

We all thought hoped you'd left/been banned/died/were in prison for a hate crime. Sad

To answer your question, they provide the same jobs as any low wage worker, legal or otherwise. Think (yes, we know, but strain yourself) about what an average working poor or working class person spends money on in a given month for food, clothing, shellter and other incidentals, and you have your answer.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2015, 12:37:11 PM by Torie »

I find it interesting that just as the Pub ship starting really getting infested with vermin, Badger hopped on board at just about the same time as I hopped off. Ships passing in the night as it were. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »

I find it interesting that just a the Pub ship starting really getting infested with vermin, Badger hopped on board at just about the same time as I hopped off. Ships passing in the night as it were. Tongue

Badgers aren't vermin, we're related to skunks. Angry

Though I realize you didn't mean me, Steve. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies