The Great Republican Revolt (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:50:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Great Republican Revolt (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Great Republican Revolt  (Read 1828 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: December 25, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
« edited: December 25, 2015, 06:50:25 PM by Sbane »

Us white males must defend the country from those annoying brown skinned people who are taking OUR JOBS WE HAVE FAMILIES TO FEED DAMNIT /s

This is the way many of this demographic sees it.  And, to be fair, why shouldn't they, at a certain level?  These are folks who do not have college educations, but whose jobs were eliminated and shipped overseas (many of them, anyway), and many who ARE employed have jobs that are not what anyone would consider a "good job"; they are jobs with lesser benefits and salary, and often jobs that require "flexible schedules".  This demographic is an older demographic.  Sure, we can send a 53 year old white male "back to school".  How much age discrimination will such a person encounter in the real-world job market when they emerge with an A. A. or A. S. degree? 

I'm in my late 50s, and I am faced with having to work longer than I ever anticipated.  Why would I be enthusiastic over the possibility of allowing new immigrants to come to America and compete for my job?  There is enough competition from Americans; why should we import more from people who don't have a RIGHT to come here?  These folks don't see immigrants as seeking a place at the table; they see immigrants as wanting to evict them from THEIR seat at the table, and they aren't entirely wrong in holding that view.  If these folks seem indifferent to the plight of immigrants, many immigrants are indifferent as to the effect their presence in the job market has on folks who believe they have "played by the rules" for decades.

Immigrants create more jobs than take away from Americans, especially well educated immigrants. While I can see why one would want to stop low skilled immigration, why stop high skilled immigration?

Also, many of the low skilled, illegal immigrants work jobs in the fields or in landscaping etc. Jobs that no American, whether with a college degree or not, wants to do. It is their kids, who are American citizens, who are "taking" jobs that white Americans without a college education want. So why should white American citizens have more of a right to these jobs than brown citizens? That is what you are advocating, right?

I can have sympathy for the plight of people like you, but you are in your situation due to a changing labor market. And that is mostly the cause of globalization and outsourcing, not immigration. While globalization has helped America on balance, no one can deny it has hurt Americans without a college degree. Why put the blame on immigrants though? Just need someone to scapegoat?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies