Diversity vs. Retaining Culture
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:10:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Diversity vs. Retaining Culture
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Diversity and Assimilation (Left)

Retaining Unique/Minority Cultural Identity (Left)

Diversity and Assimilation (Centre)

Retaining Unique/Minority Cultural Identity (Centre)

Diversity and Assimilation (Right)

Retaining Unique/Minority Cultural Identity (Right)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Diversity vs. Retaining Culture  (Read 1224 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 25, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »

This is an odd either/or that has been popping up lately, and though they don't always contradict, there seem to be scenarios where both are not attainable. Obviously there is a moderate position, but if they come into contradiction, which value do you hold in higher regard?

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 03:02:46 PM »

Reiterating all your premises and qualifiers...

Diversity and Assimilation (Left)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 03:16:07 PM »

I hold liberal democratic values in higher regard than "diversity" and platitudes about cultural relativism.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »

All things being equal, you should adopt the culture of your country.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 03:55:50 PM »

I'm not quite understanding these options, as "diversity" is paired with the seemingly contradictory "assimilation".
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 04:01:13 PM »

It's important to retain the culture, religion and traditions that you were raised imo. This doesn't mean I oppose diversity or whatever, but I see my Jewish ancestry and religion as a pride and would like to pass it along to my children by marrying Jewish and raising my children Jewish etc...

I also think that you should live by the norms of the country you live in but shouldn't assimilate. I see assimilation as a dirty term and word that is used, by some, to "cleanse" certain people of their cultures and ancestry. You can be a loyal citizen to your country and still value your religious, ethnic and cultural traditions.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 04:01:56 PM »

I'm not quite understanding these options, as "diversity" is paired with the seemingly contradictory "assimilation".

Yeah, sorry, I was a bit confused on how to word it, but you see the issues in the news. When you encourage a diversity in a group, often times the minorities give up on some special components about themselves. They retain things they can't change obviously (race, religion, etc.) but lose a lot of their culture that made them special.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 04:38:43 PM »

I won't vote because I think the issue is much more complex.

Let me use Denmark as example, in the Danish Realm we have 4 official language; 3 of them regionals. Danish, German, Faroese and Greenlandic. Do I think it would be fair if we forced those four groups, who have lived where they lived "always", to assimilated into Danish culture? No I don't, I think a state should treat indigeous groups with respect and do one best to help keep their culture alive. Because these groups have not chosen to live in the Danish Realm, Denmark have choosed it for them.

Do I extend the same respect to people who have choosed to emigrate to Denmark? No of course not, when you migrate to another place, it's your choose, not anybody else, and if your cultural norms and tradition doesn't fit, well we have proverb "If you don't like the smell in the bakery, leave it" or you drop those norms and traditions. One of the reason I don't visit Muslim countries, are because I respect their norms and traditions, but I have no wish to follow them, so I choose not to go to those countries.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2015, 05:20:19 PM by CrabCake the Liberal Magician »

Individual and universal rights are more important than artificially maintaining respect for "culture". (This can be interpreted as criticism of certain currents of both the right and left - as in forcing individuals to assimilate to some monoculture is dumb, but certain aspects of "multiculturalism" can become toxic when it fails to take into account problematic elements of "other" cultures. We're all humans, and that is far more important than any other division.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 05:58:07 PM »

It's important to retain the culture, religion and traditions that you were raised imo. This doesn't mean I oppose diversity or whatever, but I see my Jewish ancestry and religion as a pride and would like to pass it along to my children by marrying Jewish and raising my children Jewish etc...

I also think that you should live by the norms of the country you live in but shouldn't assimilate. I see assimilation as a dirty term and word that is used, by some, to "cleanse" certain people of their cultures and ancestry. You can be a loyal citizen to your country and still value your religious, ethnic and cultural traditions.

^^^Yep. I would say this debate is completely overblown, but gun to my head in an irreconcilable situation, I guess assimilation.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »

Diversity and Assimilation (Right), for the reason that CrabCake said.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 07:12:22 PM »

Diversity and Assimilation (Right), for the reason that CrabCake said.

Well "assimilation" is a stupid concept as well.
Small L
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 09:05:33 PM »

This is a tough question for me. In theory I find the idea of retaining one's culture very appealing. For instance, I think it's always a little sad when the descendants of immigrants lose their cultural connections to the home country. That being said, if you want to be successful in a new country you do have to "assimilate" to some degree.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 09:19:29 PM »

Retaining Unique/Minority Cultural Identity (Left)   
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 11:17:09 PM »

I hold liberal democratic values in higher regard than "diversity" and platitudes about cultural relativism.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 11:33:28 PM »

From the perspective of trying to maintain society, it's obviously important that a large portion of a state's population share a similar set of core values. At the same time, however, minority assimilation into a large culture can result in a subculture-wide sense of anomie which can lead to societal collapse. As such, it's important to establish a balance between the two.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 11:59:32 PM »

I voted retaining culture because I lean that way, but I honestly think there needs to be a balance. Giving up your heritage because you're forced to is pathetic and should not happen. However, some things are best discarded. (Those that infringe on others)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 12:54:12 AM »

indeed

No specific culture is special.  Like anything else, some good, some bad, mostly noise.  If the good stuff is obvious, the rest of us will take it, mess with it, dumb it down to the lowest common denominator and sell it to everybody else (see Americanized foreign foods like Mexican or Chinese or Rock and Roll or pretty much everything ever).  If it sucks, the rest of us will reject it, make fun of the people that do it and occasionally kill them/be killed by them because of it (see slavery or British food).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies