Your own opinion of the states with maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:15:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Your own opinion of the states with maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Your own opinion of the states with maps  (Read 4251 times)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »

I view all the states positively, though I would feel out of place politically in some of the very conservative states such as Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, South Carolina, Missouri, Mississippi, and West Virginia and also in some of the very liberal states like Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Maryland, Illinois, Hawaii, Washington, and California. It's not that I have anything against the people in those states and admire their positive contributions to our country, it's just that I would stand out politically in them.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »

I view all the states positively, though I would feel out of place politically in some of the very conservative states such as Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, South Carolina, Missouri, Mississippi, and West Virginia and also in some of the very liberal states like Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Maryland, Illinois, Hawaii, Washington, and California. It's not that I have anything against the people in those states and admire their positive contributions to our country, it's just that I would stand out politically in them.

Though I like him as a poster, Mr. Illini overpaints Illinois' liberalism.  Illinois is extremely (and statically) loyal to the Democratic Party because of an EXTREMELY high floor in the very diverse city of Chicago.  Sure, there are wealthy and White areas in Chicago and its suburbs that are very progressive, but the brunt of the high floor comes from loyal union, minority and other inner-city Democrats.  Assuming you do not live in the city of Chicago (about 3 million people do, leaving about 10 million Illinoisans who don't), then your political experience will be a lot more *divided*.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 12:22:02 PM »

Though I like him as a poster, Mr. Illini overpaints Illinois' liberalism.  Illinois is extremely (and statically) loyal to the Democratic Party because of an EXTREMELY high floor in the very diverse city of Chicago.  Sure, there are wealthy and White areas in Chicago and its suburbs that are very progressive, but the brunt of the high floor comes from loyal union, minority and other inner-city Democrats.  Assuming you do not live in the city of Chicago (about 3 million people do, leaving about 10 million Illinoisans who don't), then your political experience will be a lot more *divided*.

I realize I am coming in way late here, but I feel the need to respond seeing as though I was called out.

I really get frustrated when people claim "my state is not liberal/conservative, it is only that way because of X area." Well that's great, but if X area is enough to push your state that way, then X area must be pretty sizable.

"Illinois is not a liberal state. It is only that way because of Chicago." Your experience will indeed be different if you don't live in Chicago, but Chicago and the largely blue inner suburban ring represents a huge chunk of the population.

That means that California ("I live in Madera. CA is only blue because of the cities. If you live inland your experience will be mixed.") and New York ("I live in Auburn. NYS is only blue because of NYC. If you live upstate your experience will be mixed.") can't be portrayed as liberal states because they are not liberal throughout? Even though percentage-wise the population is left-of-center.

If you go by the idea that a state is not liberal because it is not liberal throughout, then I suppose our only liberal states are Vermont, Rhode Island, and Connecticut (and even in those there are areas that are more conservative).

I hear this stuff from my downstate friends often, so I felt the need to address it. No state is entirely one way or the other, but when we're looking at how the majority of each state's population goes, Illinois is solidly in the liberal column.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 06:38:48 PM »

I realize I am coming in way late here, but I feel the need to respond seeing as though I was called out.

I really get frustrated when people claim "my state is not liberal/conservative, it is only that way because of X area." Well that's great, but if X area is enough to push your state that way, then X area must be pretty sizable.

"Illinois is not a liberal state. It is only that way because of Chicago." Your experience will indeed be different if you don't live in Chicago, but Chicago and the largely blue inner suburban ring represents a huge chunk of the population.

That means that California ("I live in Madera. CA is only blue because of the cities. If you live inland your experience will be mixed.") and New York ("I live in Auburn. NYS is only blue because of NYC. If you live upstate your experience will be mixed.") can't be portrayed as liberal states because they are not liberal throughout? Even though percentage-wise the population is left-of-center.

If you go by the idea that a state is not liberal because it is not liberal throughout, then I suppose our only liberal states are Vermont, Rhode Island, and Connecticut (and even in those there are areas that are more conservative).

I hear this stuff from my downstate friends often, so I felt the need to address it. No state is entirely one way or the other, but when we're looking at how the majority of each state's population goes, Illinois is solidly in the liberal column.

The bolded part is closer to my point.  I am not saying Illinois isn't a liberal state, but there are several large areas you can go (Peoria, DuPage County, Bloomington, etc.) that you won't feel out of place as if you're not a liberal.  I am a HUGE hater of people who separate NOVA from VA, Chicago from IL, etc., etc., I was simply making the point that not moving to Illinois "because it's liberal" is very stupid, seeing as your political experience will not be like it would in VT or RI.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 07:21:49 PM »

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 08:37:26 PM »

Illinois isn't that loyal to Democrats; otherwise they wouldn't have elected Bruce Rauner and Mark Kirk.  It may be a blue state in presidential elections, but it's still pretty close in statewide contests.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 09:08:01 AM »

Green=Favorable
Red=Unfavorable
Darker shades indicate greater intensity.

Honestly, this was kind of hard for me, because I can find positive and negative in every state.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 06:38:31 PM »

Illinois isn't that loyal to Democrats; otherwise they wouldn't have elected Bruce Rauner and Mark Kirk.  It may be a blue state in presidential elections, but it's still pretty close in statewide contests.

Yep, the only states that can be considered loyal to Dems are those that elect Dems literally 100% of the time
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2016, 07:29:37 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2016, 09:02:03 PM by Clarko95 »

Indiana is literally the most random and boring state in the Union; why anyone would have a positive opinion of this dumpster is beyond me.

Anywho, my map goes:

Blue = I would enjoy/have enjoyed visiting; would also consider living in
Red = would not enjoy/have not enjoyed; would not live in

Simplified criteria go as such:
Plains/Southern state = lose points
Walkable urban areas = gain lots of points
Humid = lose a lot of points
Frigid = lose points
Natural scenery (especially mountains!) = gain lots of points
The scary kind of conservatives = lose lots of points
The annoying kind of liberals = lose points
Reasonable conservatism/liberalism = gain lots of points

Yeah, I'm a bit picky

North Carolina, Maryland, Arizona, Montana, and Utah are borderline
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 07:38:39 PM »

Obviously fridged must not lose many points for you, considering Alaska is blue. Tongue
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 07:40:08 PM »

Obviously fridged must not lose many points for you, considering Alaska is blue. Tongue

Scenery, Goldwater! SCENERY!!!
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 08:12:29 PM »

Scenery, Goldwater! SCENERY!!!

Fair enough. At least it's not "muh politics!", like some people here form their state options on. Also, I happen to quite like southwest desert scenery, so it lines up well with my tastes in weather. Tongue
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 10:46:22 PM »

For your own preference of the states, divide them into tiers on a map.  (I did 7, but you can do a different amount if you want).  Create a color scheme.

My map:

Green > Gray > Red (The darker the green the better, the darker the red the worse)
Hey!  What gives?  What is so bad about Arizona?  We get more sunny days than almost any other state!
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2016, 02:55:02 PM »

Green is good, red is bad.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2016, 03:25:20 PM by TDAS04 »

For your own preference of the states, divide them into tiers on a map.  (I did 7, but you can do a different amount if you want).  Create a color scheme.

My map:

Green > Gray > Red (The darker the green the better, the darker the red the worse)
Hey!  What gives?  What is so bad about Arizona?  We get more sunny days than almost any other state!

I'm not fond of hot and dry, and I kind of like clouds.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »

wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2016, 03:55:33 PM »

You love Illinois, but you hate every state that borders it except Wisconsin?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2016, 09:06:17 PM »

My map:

Hey!  What gives?  What is so bad about Arizona?  We get more sunny days than almost any other state!

In that case, I assume you like the map I posted. Grin
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies