Nate Silver on 12/10: 20% chance of a brokered convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:50:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Nate Silver on 12/10: 20% chance of a brokered convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: How likely is a brokered GOP convention in 2016?
<= 10%

20%

30%

40%

>= 50%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Nate Silver on 12/10: 20% chance of a brokered convention  (Read 5426 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 10:38:48 AM »

Sure if one candidate gets a clear majority of votes and delegates from the primaries, then the nomination isn't going to be stolen from them.  But I'm talking about more ambiguous cases.  Say Trump has won a 45% plurality of all votes in the primaries, but whether he has a majority of delegates is a matter of dispute, because of the fuzzy math I talked about in terms of unbound vs. unpledged etc. that seems to create all these disagreements in the tracking of the delegate count every four years.  There'll then be various attempts to create mischief with the convention in a way that there wouldn't have been if all of the candidates were broadly acceptable to the party leadership.

That's what I mean about having to pay attention to how the delegates are actually chosen.  In a true contested convention scenario, the delegates are free agents.  They're not necessarily going to do the bidding of the candidate who they're "supposed" to back.

Well, to make it really simple, if Trump had 45% of the delegates (I don't think the popular vote totals matter much), and the establishment candidates had 42%, Cruz had 7%, and the balance were uncommitted, I don't see a problem with denying the nomination to Trump. That is how the game is played. It is the Quisling thing that gets to be a problem, where on a second ballot, or even first ballot, delegates that should be his, don't vote for him, and even though on say the second ballot, Trump gets more delegates to vote for him, say from Cruz people, that would have put him over the top, if he still loses because he has Quislings who abandon him, then we have a problem. That is how I see it anyway. Sure Trump will whimper in all events. It is more of matter as to how much his whimperings have bite.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2015, 11:32:15 AM »

Can someone explain how proponents of the "party decides" theory think that there will not be a revolt by GOP voters if the party nominates someone who came in third or fourth place in the delegate count by virtue of votes cast in primaries?

Easy: It's a two party system and no matter how mad they get they aren't going to vote Democrat. By the time of the convention, there will be no outlet for said "revolt."
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »

Can someone explain how proponents of the "party decides" theory think that there will not be a revolt by GOP voters if the party nominates someone who came in third or fourth place in the delegate count by virtue of votes cast in primaries?

Easy: It's a two party system and no matter how mad they get they aren't going to vote Democrat.

You're forgetting the obvious alternative - not voting at all.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2015, 11:47:38 AM »

Easy: It's a two party system and no matter how mad they get they aren't going to vote Democrat.

Yeah, it's not often that it happens, but I agree with Wulfric here. Revolt doesn't have to manifest as crossing party lines or anything.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2015, 12:15:57 PM »

Again Silver is using data, he believes in the 'party decides' theory that the best early indicators are endorsements (from currently elected politicians) and Trump has zero. This cycle will test the 'party decides' theory. Silver is also right that early polling, especially early national polling has not been a good indicator. However we are now transitioning into the time when it isn't early polling and Trump still has a lead in NH and is in second in IA, so history is slowly but surely moving in Trump's direction to at least be a serious contender.

Considering Bush heavily leads among party insiders from his initial "heir apparant
 status, and his nearest competitor in that regard is Rubio, i think that theory is already quite debunked even if Trump loses.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2016, 05:53:42 AM »

Or voting for the proverbial "other". I voted for Governor Gary Johnson as my 2012 "other"; if more folks voted "other", maybe we'd see an improvement within mainstream candidates. (And I believe that the popularity of the "outsiders" this time around is a reflection of the fact that much of the electorate is sick and tired of "business as usual" politics...).
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2016, 06:33:03 AM »

Or voting for the proverbial "other". I voted for Governor Gary Johnson as my 2012 "other"; if more folks voted "other", maybe we'd see an improvement within mainstream candidates. (And I believe that the popularity of the "outsiders" this time around is a reflection of the fact that much of the electorate is sick and tired of "business as usual" politics...).

Well, now you can vote Trump, instead of "other".
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2016, 04:13:44 PM »

There would be the hope that the GOP voters will back the party's nominee.

The third or fourth place winner may also be a preferable second choice to voters on the top of the ballot.

If Trump and Cruz have spent half an year ripping into one another, their backers might have an easier time going with someone who has been relatively quiet.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »

Technically, the establishment survivor doesn't need to get many delegates in May/June - all that needs to happen is Trump and Cruz split them fairly evenly. The establishment survivor simply needs to stay in the race. What the establishment would be aiming for is something like this on the first convention ballot:

Trump 1,050
Cruz 960
Establishment Survivor 430
Abstain/Scattering 26

The number needed to be nominated this year, per the green papers, is 1,233. No one is there, so no one can be nominated via the first ballot. Under party rules, delegates are freed from pledges to support a candidate and re-vote on the nomination. The hope would be that a sizable number of Cruz/Trump delegates don't actually support them and only voted that way on the first ballot because they had to under party rules, and would therefore gravitate to Rubio (etc.) and get him nominated. Of course, Trump would be furious and blame the party for not giving him reliable delegates, but he would have no legal recourse under the party rules and it would be too late to mount a meaningful independent run.

Even assuming that the Cruz and Trump delegations have a lot of Quislings in their ranks, if it appeared that the Pub establishment was going to poach the Quislings, and successfully give the nomination to the Establishment choice, one would think that Cruz and Trump would cut a deal, and one of the two would release his delegates before the first ballot, giving the nomination to the other. And then presumably the other would get the VP slot. Morden etc. is right that in your scenario, if the Establishment did what it did, the nomination would probably become worthless. It would look like the will of the people had been ignored. It won't be happening. Alternatively, the establishment might pick Cruz.
Is there any indication Cruz would prefer Trump to Rubio or that Trump would prefer Cruz to Rubio?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »

I think that it is closer to 10% than 20% so I voted <= 10%.
If it is between Trump, Cruz and Rubio by California, it might happen, but there would have to be something close to a three way tie. For example, Trump could get 38% of the delegates, Rubio 38% and Cruz 19% with all others getting 5%. I don't know if such a scenario is likely. If it turns out to be a two person race, after March, I think it would be easy for one of the two to reach 50%.
This would be slightly more likely that a three person race. With so much uncertainty it's hard to predict.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2016, 10:41:17 AM »

Silver now realizes that if Trump is the nominee, his career as a a political prognosticator is over. He's bet the farm on this. I feel sorry for the man.

He's been very un-Silver this cycle.  Usually his predictions are based on hard data, but he seems to have suddenly developed delusions of being a political analyst, rather than a statistician.

Fortunately he's had the good sense to expand his enterprise into sports and other areas.

He started analyzing baseball (the Baseball Prospectus) and then went to analyze politics. Just to set the record straight on him.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies