Does Ted Cruz have all the power? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:01:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does Ted Cruz have all the power? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Ted Cruz have all the power?  (Read 3125 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 02, 2016, 07:55:03 PM »

If Cruz loses Iowa or loses overall, he has another 4 years to run again. He's young enough.
He will be primaried in 2018

By who? An establishment challenge would be a disaster in Texas and there is no room to Cruz's right.
Cruz was only able to win in 2012 because of the liberty wing. Cruz is becoming increasingly more mainstream. That will not resonate with all Texans back home.

Cruz is just enough mainstream for the Establishment to work to secure his nomination in order to stop Trump.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 11:15:07 PM »

The more I think about it, it seems like Cruz may end up being the most powerful Republican in the primaries. He is the likely Iowa caucus winner, the emergency fallback break-in-case-of-Trump option, and a potential Trump VP. At any point in the race, he can effectively crown Trump the nominee by dropping out and endorsing him (for a VP position probably). More importantly, a brokered convention situation likely involves Trump, Cruz, and Rubio (or Christie). Trump obviously wouldn't achieve a majority as preventing his nomination is the reason for the brokered convention, but Rubio winning would require cooperation from Cruz. The most likely option here seems to be Rubio (at the behest of the RNC) frees his delegates for Cruz and makes him the nominee. Whatever happens, Cruz is likely either the kingmaker or the ultimate fallback.

I've come to this conclusion, and, obviously, I'm not alone.  I think it's becoming a bit obvious that Cruz is angling to be in a position where the Establishment will have to turn to him to stop Trump, and he's doing an excellent job so far in moving in that direction.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies