The States People Really Want to Move to (Post-Recession)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:03:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The States People Really Want to Move to (Post-Recession)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The States People Really Want to Move to (Post-Recession)  (Read 3766 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2015, 10:05:09 PM »
« edited: December 30, 2015, 10:06:40 PM by Frodo »

Virginia apparently isn't one of them:

The states people really want to move to — and those they don’t

By Emily Badger and Darla Cameron
December 28, 2015

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:08:52 PM »

The biggest blue states (CA, IL, NJ, NY) are losing massively while the biggest red states (AZ, GA, NC, TX) are gaining massively.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 10:12:16 PM »

The biggest blue states (CA, IL, NJ, NY) are losing massively while the biggest red states (AZ, GA, NC, TX) are gaining massively.

And getting less Republican as more people move there. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 10:18:15 PM »

California is growing faster than the national average. If you're going by the domestic migration chart, you're forgetting about immigration. California has the most foreign born per capita, about 27%.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 10:23:21 PM »

Unfortunately, we really can't expect much from AZ/GA/TX this early on, and NC population growth is much less minority-oriented than the others in a relative sense.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:57:44 PM »

I wish this chart was percentage change because it overplays the movement out of California, due to the sheer size of the state. California will likely gain an electoral vote if current trends keep up.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 11:19:45 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2015, 11:21:18 PM by ElectionsGuy »

The only state that has seen a Democratic trend out of those is North Carolina.

California is growing faster than the national average. If you're going by the domestic migration chart, you're forgetting about immigration. California has the most foreign born per capita, about 27%.

Well yes, California has a ton of immigration but its losing native born people.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:45:44 AM »

Hasn't Georgia, though? That didn't used to be the case with in-migration in the 1990s, but I believe that domestic migration is one driver of Georgia's increasing racial diversity.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 08:00:08 AM »

Hasn't Georgia, though? That didn't used to be the case with in-migration in the 1990s, but I believe that domestic migration is one driver of Georgia's increasing racial diversity.

If there is one it has yet to be seen in great numbers. Its arguable there has been a slight trend since 2004 (when Bush got 58% in the state) but since 2008 almost every Democratic candidate in high profile races consistently lose by between 5 and 10 points (2008 Senate with the bumbling idiot Chambliss being the exception). Georgia Dems put up their best recruits in 2014 (Nunn and Carter) and they both lost by 8. While 2014 was a good year, the racial demographics in Georgia that year were the same as 2008.

Georgia, since its a deep south state, is very inflexible and therefore would take a long time to trend, so I'll give it to you that we could be seeing a very slow democratic trend in the state.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »

Actually people typically move to places with similar ideologies. That's a false idea that migration turns red states blue. That isn't happening.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 08:42:02 PM »

Unfortunately, we really can't expect much from AZ/GA/TX this early on, and NC population growth is much less minority-oriented than the others in a relative sense.
Or Texas EVER considering Texan Hispanics are far more conservative than other Hispanics and Gregg Abott actually won hispanic men in 2014. Georgia is stabilizing at it's current level and North Carolina is unlikely to continue its trend. Arizona is a possibility but if it does, it won't matter because it'll be negated by political shifts in the Midwest.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 08:56:36 PM »

Actually people typically move to places with similar ideologies. That's a false idea that migration turns red states blue. That isn't happening.

Probably the two things that help Democrats the most are Urbanization and increasing minority populations.    Both are happening rapidly in all the high growth states.    Probably in the future we're going to see the more Urban states vote one way and the Rural states vote the other.   

I don't really think Domestic Migration affects things all that much on it's own.   
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 11:05:24 PM »

Have TX and TN really gotten less Republican in the last years?

I must say I'm surprised that VA isn't one of those states. I mean, it's a pretty terrible state (especially NoVA) so I understand why people don't want to move there, but we've heard so much about migration turning VA into a blue state.  

Probably the two things that help Democrats the most are Urbanization and increasing minority populations.    Both are happening rapidly in all the high growth states.    Probably in the future we're going to see the more Urban states vote one way and the Rural states vote the other.   

I don't really think Domestic Migration affects things all that much on it's own.   

NH is a rural state and still one of the most Democratic states in the nation. I get your point, though.

Well, at the end of the day, there's decent to well-paying jobs in Virginia, and that's way more important to the majority of people than where exactly they're living.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 11:36:24 PM »

People move where the jobs are, everything else comes second.  I mean, hell, people have been moving to North goddamn Dakota in droves for the past umpteen years, and it's not because it's pretty or hip.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 09:47:16 AM »

There is certainly a lot of geographical sorting by ideology, but it likely happens more at a county level than a state level. You may have conservative (and generally white) people finding their way to Collin County, TX and Cherokee County, Georgia, but you also have African-Americans moving from Chicago to DeKalb County, Georgia, and liberals moving from Boston, New York, and NJ to Raleigh-Durham and Austin.
hopper
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 05:39:27 PM »

People move where the jobs are, everything else comes second.  I mean, hell, people have been moving to North goddamn Dakota in droves for the past umpteen years, and it's not because it's pretty or hip.
Yeah Fargo that's polar bear weather which is too cold for me!
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »

Or Texas EVER considering Texan Hispanics are far more conservative than other Hispanics and Gregg Abott actually won hispanic men in 2014. Georgia is stabilizing at it's current level and North Carolina is unlikely to continue its trend. Arizona is a possibility but if it does, it won't matter because it'll be negated by political shifts in the Midwest.
No, Texas Hispanics pretty much vote like other Hispanics do in terms of R vs D% on average. The Texas "More Conservative than other Hispanics Theory" went away once Obama was elected in 2008. Maybe more socially conservative than other Hispanics in other states but probably the same as other Hispanics in terms of economic issues idealogy wise.

No, Abbot lost Hispanic Men to Davis 63-37% per Latino Decesions Poll.
hopper
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »

I must say I'm surprised that VA isn't one of those states. I mean, it's a pretty terrible state (especially NoVA) so I understand why people don't want to move there, but we've heard so much about migration turning VA into a blue state.  

NH is a rural state and still one of the most Democratic states in the nation. I get your point, though.
Well NH is a purple state.
hopper
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 06:27:41 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2016, 06:29:48 PM by hopper »

Why do you think VA is a terrible state...just wondering?? NOVA is just very populated in terms of population density and getting off the Beltway from DC/MD into VA is a nightmare because of the traffic even with the addition of the newer flyover ramps.

In my experience VA can be boring my Dads uncle lived in Gordonsville for years before dieing 2 years ago. Its a very rural area and as I got older the rural aspect bothered me. Of course if you go into Charlottesville its much like where I live except for University of Virginia being there.
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 07:10:31 PM »

Well International Migration is adding to GA's population too adding 134,971 people to the states population from 2010-2015. Domestic Migrants added 82,493 people to the states population from 2010-2015 for a total combined 217,464 new migrants to the state during the past 5 years.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 12:24:32 AM »

New hampshire isn't very democratic.. only 1 point more than average... Vermont is a better example
hopper
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 01:47:39 PM »

Well Domestic Migration or in this  case Domestic Out-Migration it affects a state in a way that if you lose to many residents you have to have a lot of International Migration coming into your state to make-up Domestic Outmigration losses. A state can lose a lot of tax revenue from constant domestic outmigration and you have to make up that tax revenue up by getting a lot of International Migration. For example, California is gaining "Overall Incoming Migration" just by International Migration alone. Illinois doesn't have enough International Migrants coming in to its state to make up for all of its Domestic Migration losses.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 11:57:31 PM »

No, Texas Hispanics pretty much vote like other Hispanics do in terms of R vs D% on average. The Texas "More Conservative than other Hispanics Theory" went away once Obama was elected in 2008. Maybe more socially conservative than other Hispanics in other states but probably the same as other Hispanics in terms of economic issues idealogy wise.

No, Abbot lost Hispanic Men to Davis 63-37% per Latino Decesions Poll.

I've seen somewhere that Abbot won Hispanic men and just lost Hispanics overall as well.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 10:53:20 AM »

People move where the jobs are, everything else comes second.  I mean, hell, people have been moving to North goddamn Dakota in droves for the past umpteen years, and it's not because it's pretty or hip.
Yeah Fargo that's polar bear weather which is too cold for me!
Umpteen?  Only since 2009 and that's definitely over for the time being.  

One silver lining about the out-migration in Minnesota is that the bulk of it is 50+ people moving to warmer climates.  The state is gaining in the 25-40 categories.  But also a bad sign is that many leave the state for college and don't return... at least for quite a while.

In any case... the bulge of baby boomers is shrinking while the younger population grows which will lessen the blow as baby boomers continue to age into retirement.  Minnesota is also one of the states that generally has positive total migration because international migrants outweigh the negative domestic migration.
DS0816
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 01:06:28 PM »

Absolutely correct.

Just look at, for example, 1976 and 2008 Colorado!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies