KY Gov. Matt Bevin to Overhaul Medicaid and Scrap Kynect
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:02:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  KY Gov. Matt Bevin to Overhaul Medicaid and Scrap Kynect
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: KY Gov. Matt Bevin to Overhaul Medicaid and Scrap Kynect  (Read 4966 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »
« edited: December 31, 2015, 12:48:45 PM by Frodo »

Kentucky's New GOP Governor Kicks Off Obamacare Shake-Up:
But Gov. Matt Bevin gave few details on how he plans to reshape the state's expanded Medicaid program.

Jeffrey Young
Health Care Reporter, The Huffington Post
12/30/2015 12:35 pm ET | Updated 22 hours ago

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 02:25:04 PM »

Terrible.

Kentucky has/had the best insurance exchange.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »

He wants to scrap the program that most Kentuckians like and want to keep?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »

He wants to scrap the program that most Kentuckians like and want to keep?

That's what they get for electing him.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »

But even after all of the changes, KY will still be part of the expanded Medicaid program, just using a different form via waivers (like IN, MT, AR, IA, NH and MI).   The number of states not expanding Medicaid under ACA is down to 20, once Obama is out of office (and once Hillary is probably elected), I think they will slowly but surely take the money.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 04:44:46 PM »

Won't this require the Legislature?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 04:58:27 PM »

Won't this require the Legislature?

I believe the state house is almost purged of its Democratic majority due to a few appointments by Bevin and a party switch here or there. I don't have the exact numbers, but assuming the vacancies are filled by Republicans, then they only need to get rid of 2 more Democratic Reps to obtain a slim majority. After that, the evisceration of Kynect will begin in earnest.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 05:09:28 PM »

Not good. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »

They're reaping what they sowed.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »

How disgusting...this is one of his first priorities as governor?? Happy new year Kentucky.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 07:18:21 PM »

This is why people who say there's no difference between Republicans and Denocrats are ignorant/deluded.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 07:51:30 PM »

The people who rely upon Kynect largely are the ones who are not voting in the first place. This subset of people nationally is the only reason the GOP remains a viable party outside of about a dozen states. You can blame them for electing Bevin by proxy due to them not voting, but for the vast majority, you can't say "well this is what you get for voting for Bevin", because they didn't vote at all.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 09:30:58 PM »

You can blame them for electing Bevin by proxy due to them not voting, but for the vast majority, you can't say "well this is what you get for voting for Bevin", because they didn't vote at all.

That's a fair point. I think WP even did a piece on this not that long ago. But I must argue that surely some of them voted, and even more so, people not dependent on that program will definitely know people who are and when Bevin brings the rain, I wouldn't doubt that sympathy for those people transforms into disapproval of Bevin.

I will also take this time to voice my disgust with Matt Bevin. As far as I know, he promised to release his tax forms then flat out refused after getting elected (?), and then he goes and reverses the restoration of voting rights for felons that the previous Governor enacted, despite saying he supports the idea. Such a generic cop out - Say one thing, do another. The state gives him the power to do it, and he defers to a legislature that he knows will not act on it. No surprise a Republican took away voting rights from people. It's only been a staple of their strategy for decades now. This guy is a hack.

Just seeing a Governor's face/picture has never annoyed me as much as Bevin has.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 01:02:51 AM »

Stupid ass people.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 02:20:10 AM »

Stupid ass people.

Sorry, but everyone has different top issues, and there is no "truly intelligent" way to do it. I could just as easily refer to you as stupid for not caring about "innocent human lives" or the "moral fabric of society", and it would be just as pathetic and superficial of an argument as you have just given above.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 02:46:31 AM »

Stupid ass people.

Sorry, but everyone has different top issues, and there is no "truly intelligent" way to do it. I could just as easily refer to you as stupid for not caring about "innocent human lives" or the "moral fabric of society", and it would be just as pathetic and superficial of an argument as you have just given above.

Yes, but, it's a lie. No matter how much he wants, Matt Bevin can't do anything about same-sex marriage.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 03:00:43 AM »

Bevin has already made it legal statewide to not list the county clerk's name on a marriage license, and it's possible that he would try to make it legal for any county clerk office to pull a Kim Davis, by taking away the requirement for such offices to issue licenses, potentially forcing same-sex couples to travel across the state - or even out-of-state - to get licenses. However, getting that through the house will be difficult, so he could do instead what North Carolina and Utah have done - allow someone to refuse to issue a marriage license, but require them to designate some other qualified person in the county to issue such licenses instead.

But there is of course no way for him to outright prohibit Same-Sex marriage.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 05:01:00 AM »

Stupid ass people.

Not really, abortion and morality are huge issues to people.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 09:20:37 AM »

Stupid ass people.

Indeed, especially abortion. If you actually take pro-lifers concerns seriously, it's a no surprise they vote the way they do. How much economic benefit does it take to vote for a pro-murder politician? When put in those terms, its a no brainer.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 08:01:53 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2016, 08:04:33 PM by Wulfric »

Bevin has already made it legal statewide to not list the county clerk's name on a marriage license, and it's possible that he would try to make it legal for any county clerk office to pull a Kim Davis, by taking away the requirement for such offices to issue licenses, potentially forcing same-sex couples to travel across the state - or even out-of-state - to get licenses. However, getting that through the house will be difficult, so he could do instead what North Carolina and Utah have done - allow someone to refuse to issue a marriage license, but require them to designate some other qualified person in the county to issue such licenses instead.

But there is of course no way for him to outright prohibit Same-Sex marriage.

I don't understand why this wasn't the solution at the very beginning.  If someone objects to their name being on the document for religious reasons, just have a law that gives someone else the authority to step in.  If all qualified officials in the county object, then bring in an official from another county who does not object and reimburse their travel.  Don't compel the couple to travel to a different jurisdiction.  IDK why this would be so hard or controversial. 

Well, at least under what has been passed in NC/UT, the clerk/probate judge must name/direct the couple to the alternate issuer, so I guess the Kim Davis's of the state could view that as "assisting in committing a sin."
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016, 11:26:34 PM »

I feel bad for the Kentuckians that voted for Conway and stand to lose here.

Those that stand to lose but voted for Bevin, I wonder when will wake up and realize what is going on.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 11:47:39 PM »

Im sure Bevin has great medical insurance but like most republicans pick on the ones who can't afford it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »

Stupid ass people.

Indeed, especially abortion. If you actually take pro-lifers concerns seriously, it's a no surprise they vote the way they do. How much economic benefit does it take to vote for a pro-murder politician? When put in those terms, its a no brainer.

Is there really that much of a difference between killing somebody when they're a fetus in a uterus and killing somebody when they're a six year old Afghan kid who gets hit by a drone?

What about if the baby you'll scream bloody murder and throw a tantrum over to ensure it exits its mother's birth canal alive ends up dying a few months later because it couldn't see a doctor because its mother had no health insurance?

I fail to understand why you're not bothered by these other deaths of young innocents as much as you are by those of fetuses.

That's quite the strawman you've constructed. After you are done defeating it, perhaps you can take the time to address my point.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »

Can John Bel Edwards just run for Governor of every state? He's the only man worth believing in during these dark days.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 08:32:36 PM »

Stupid ass people.

Is there really that much of a difference between killing somebody when they're a fetus in a uterus and killing somebody when they're a six year old Afghan kid who gets hit by a drone?

What about if the baby you'll scream bloody murder and throw a tantrum over to ensure it exits its mother's birth canal alive ends up dying a few months later because it couldn't see a doctor because its mother had no health insurance?

I fail to understand why you're not bothered by these other deaths of young innocents as much as you are by those of fetuses.

That's quite the strawman you've constructed. After you are done defeating it, perhaps you can take the time to address my point.

My point is that if you think abortion is the taking of an innocent life, why are you not bothered by other takings of innocent life?

I like universal healthcare and oppose drone attacks. You are falling into that annoying habit of confusing every blue avatar with Rush Limbaugh again...

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies