KY Gov. Matt Bevin to Overhaul Medicaid and Scrap Kynect
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  KY Gov. Matt Bevin to Overhaul Medicaid and Scrap Kynect
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: KY Gov. Matt Bevin to Overhaul Medicaid and Scrap Kynect  (Read 4955 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »

Just to put this thread back on track:

But even after all of the changes, KY will still be part of the expanded Medicaid program, just using a different form via waivers (like IN, MT, AR, IA, NH and MI).   The number of states not expanding Medicaid under ACA is down to 20, once Obama is out of office (and once Hillary is probably elected), I think they will slowly but surely take the money.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Amidst the wailing, this is the key story that everyone seems to have forgotten. 
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 05:09:29 PM »

But even after all of the changes, KY will still be part of the expanded Medicaid program, just using a different form via waivers (like IN, MT, AR, IA, NH and MI).   The number of states not expanding Medicaid under ACA is down to 20, once Obama is out of office (and once Hillary is probably elected), I think they will slowly but surely take the money.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Amidst the wailing, this is the key story that everyone seems to have forgotten. 

I don't understand - I thought the states had to adopt the expansion because after 2019 or so (?), they had to help pay for more of it, while right now they don't. How can the people get the benefits without the state adopting it? Every media outlet that reports on this issue at one point or another mentions the large numbers of people who can't get coverage due to the state not adopting it, but if what you guys are saying is true, then really everyone is wrong and misstating the issue.

I don't know much about this, so I'm just wondering why states have done anything regarding this if more people can already get the coverage regardless.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 12:24:13 AM »

excellent. cut the drug of government welfare before the dependency is irremovable.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 01:31:39 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't understand - I thought the states had to adopt the expansion because after 2019 or so (?), they had to help pay for more of it, while right now they don't. How can the people get the benefits without the state adopting it? Every media outlet that reports on this issue at one point or another mentions the large numbers of people who can't get coverage due to the state not adopting it, but if what you guys are saying is true, then really everyone is wrong and misstating the issue.

I don't know much about this, so I'm just wondering why states have done anything regarding this if more people can already get the coverage regardless.

Under the original law, all states were indeed required to take the expansion eventually, but that provision was struck down by the supreme court, which ruled that states had to be allowed to decide. It didn't get a lot of publicity at the time because it was tucked into the same decision that upheld the individual mandate, but it did happen. What is still in the law is, eventually, those states that are taking the expansion will have to pay for (almost all of) it themselves, while right now the feds are helping to cover a significant part of the cost. States that don't take the expansion don't get that part of the law's benefits, of course, but there is nothing in the law that says the state has to take that specific part of the law's benefits. It's just like creating a state exchange - beneficial if your state does it, but there's nothing illegal under the law about them refusing to do so.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »

No that's not true. Currently the expansion in states that do so is entirely paid by the federal government. After 2019 the feds will still cover 90% of it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2016, 01:54:43 PM »

And the 10 percent is only for people who are covered by expansion. Original Medicaid patients like children and the elderly are still paid for by the traditional cost sharing model.  Literally no good reason to reject expansion, which is something right wing nutjob apologists like Wulfric can't wrap his head around.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »

This move is as much about Kentucky's internal political polarization and the unity of west and north of the state (not coincidently where Bevin was supported in the primary) against the east as anything else. A lot of Kentuckians really despise what's become of eastern Kentucky, viewing things as their subsidization of a lost cause, an economically dead region that does little more than use tons of meth, take huge amounts of welfare, and drown in hopeless apathy until they literally kill themselves.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »

And the 10 percent is only for people who are covered by expansion. Original Medicaid patients like children and the elderly are still paid for by the traditional cost sharing model.  Literally no good reason to reject expansion, which is something right wing nutjob apologists like Wulfric can't wrap his head around.

I'm sorry if I came off as opposing expansion above, I don't. I've always been very clear that I support ObamaCare, including the mandates and subsidies. Are there changes I would make to the law if I was dictator of the U.S.? Yes. But do I support most of the bill? Yes.

And seriously, right wing nutjob apologist? I've made it pretty clear that I am generally (significantly) to the left of the Republican base on entitlements and fiscal/economic issues and way to the left on Foreign Policy. Even on social issues there are differences - I support Marijuana legalization and am not an apologist for the NSA. If I was in congress as a republican, I'd be lucky to go even a month before getting kicked out of the caucus.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 12:09:25 AM »

excellent. cut the drug of government welfare before the dependency is irremovable.

"Let them die!!!" is pretty much what you are saying.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 12:12:23 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2016, 12:18:14 AM by Virginia »

No, no noo. He's saying that instead of social programs, write them a prescription for bootstraps.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 12:30:39 AM »

No, no noo. He's saying that instead of social programs, write them a prescription for bootstraps.

Haha oh yes the good old bootstraps the Republicans talk about. It's all an act so they can deny more and more people health care coverage.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 09:41:59 AM »

Haha oh yes the good old bootstraps the Republicans talk about. It's all an act so they can deny more and more people health care coverage.

Youngconservative's post would be slightly less anemic if he himself wasn't comfortably covered by his daddy's health insurance plan.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »

Has anyone seen any approval numbers for this weirdo? They can't be very high.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies