Does Biden regret not running this cycle?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:25:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does Biden regret not running this cycle?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Does he?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Does Biden regret not running this cycle?  (Read 2699 times)
madelka
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »

Considering that the GOP is in its worst shape since the Great Depression and has basically already lost the election, I say yes. Biden would have crushed the most likely Republican nominees (Trump and Cruz) in a landslide.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:11:37 AM »

He was a fallback in the event that the investigations of Hillary Clinton for the private server and Benghazi  would implode her campaign for the Presidency. He probably knows that whatever time he had for becoming President has come and gone, and that he is not a viable candidate.   
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »

Dems would have an even stronger chance in OH & Va.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:07:19 PM »

No. Nothing groundbreaking has come out to ruin Clinton's chances, and I'm sure he values the time he gets to spend with his family.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 12:16:35 PM »

No. I don't think he actually wants to be president or have to run another campaign. He could have won probably, but if he doesn't want it to begin with then that isn't an attraction.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »

Considering that the GOP is in its worst shape since the Great Depression

Despite holding the House, Senate and a majority of state governorships and legislatures?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 01:43:27 PM »

Only people who regret Biden running are the Sandernistas.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »

I think it was the best decision for him, nevertheless, I kind of wish Biden had run because I think he would've easily been the best candidate.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »

Only people who regret Biden running are the Sandernistas.
I am glad he didn't run. It was really the best thing for him, and I am happy his legacy to public service will end as not a failed presidential candidate, but as a relatively successful Vice President. I think Biden running would have helped Bernie win, but I wouldn't be a semi-delusional supporter of his if I didn't believe he could win this primary directly against Hillary.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 02:18:42 PM »

I think Biden has conflicting feelings about it.  But everything he said indicated that he no longer had the burning ambition to be president. 
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 02:26:54 PM »

Considering that the GOP is in its worst shape since the Great Depression and has basically already lost the election, I say yes. Biden would have crushed the most likely Republican nominees (Trump and Cruz) in a landslide.

Controls everything but the Presidency and they're doomed. K.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 04:42:17 AM »

Yes, but he might regret running if he did run.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 05:47:53 AM »

No, because he would have done so, if he really wanted.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 05:51:48 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2016, 05:54:03 AM by OC »

Biden regrets his son passing away, and not being able to mount a serious campaign. I can see him jumping in, barring such event.
JMT

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »

No, he knows that spending time with his family is the right thing to do. He still most likely wants to be president, but he made the right choice. Plus, Clinton came out of the email scandal and Benghazi hearings stronger than most expected, so I'm not sure if there would've been large support for Biden (I would've loved to see him run though, he would've had my vote).
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 01:34:52 PM »

I don't think so. Hillary's doing pretty well, and Biden wouldn't be an ideal alternaitve to her.

If there's a major health crisis or indictment, the only circumstances under which Biden could plausibly beat Hillary, Biden's still available.
madelka
United States
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 06:48:54 AM »

Despite holding the House, Senate and a majority of state governorships and legislatures?

No one really cares about state legislatures and governorships since they're irrelevant. The presidency is all that matters (*cough* Supreme Court *cough*) And the GOP will lose the Senate in 2016, too - assuming they nominate Trump or Cruz, which seems more and more likely (FL, IL and WI are probably a lost cause for Republicans at this point, even if Rubio gets the nomination). Even if Clinton is president, 2018 won't be another 1994, 2010 or 2014. You'll have many popular red and swing state Democratic Senators running who are pretty safe no matter how the political climate will be (Nelson, Heitkamp, Casey, Kaine and Tester are all heavily favored to win another term). 2018 might turn out to be another 1998.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 07:22:02 AM »

No one really cares about state legislatures and governorships since they're irrelevant. The presidency is all that matters (*cough* Supreme Court *cough*) And the GOP will lose the Senate in 2016, too - assuming they nominate Trump or Cruz, which seems more and more likely (FL, IL and WI are probably a lost cause for Republicans at this point, even if Rubio gets the nomination). Even if Clinton is president, 2018 won't be another 1994, 2010 or 2014. You'll have many popular red and swing state Democratic Senators running who are pretty safe no matter how the political climate will be (Nelson, Heitkamp, Casey, Kaine and Tester are all heavily favored to win another term). 2018 might turn out to be another 1998.

Did anybody seriously think the Republicans could win Illinois?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 09:16:29 AM »

Did anybody seriously think the Republicans could win Illinois?
I think that was a reference to Mark Kirk's reelection bid.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 10:39:29 AM »

I think Biden regrets not running.  His consolation is that the party would likely turn to him if something really bad about Hillary turned up at a late date.  The bad part of that is that such a development would render him an underdog.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 12:14:36 PM »

Controls everything but the Presidency and they're doomed. K.

The 54% of the Senate controlled by the Republicans represents 46% of the actual population. The natural gerrymander of the states combined with the proactive gerrymander of many districts is in large part responsible for this control.
couchpotato07
Rookie
Chile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 01:28:55 PM »

He was a fallback in the event that the investigations of Hillary Clinton for the private server and Benghazi  would implode her campaign for the Presidency. He probably knows that whatever time he had for becoming President has come and gone, and that he is not a viable candidate.   

I agree with you that his time has passed unfortunately...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 11:18:09 PM »

No, I do not believe that Biden does regret not running.

I believe after internal polling he came to realize that he could not defeat Hillary for the nomination and he did not want to have his last political campaign go down as a big defeat.

I think he is happy with his decision.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 11:20:15 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2016, 11:31:33 PM by Maxwell »

State Legislatures and Governorships are where policies that actually effect people for the long term occur.

Also lol at Heitkamp being heavily favored and 2018 not being a potential 1994, 2010, 2014.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 11:29:43 PM »

Governors who became President

Thomas Jefferson  
James Monroe  
Martin Van Buren  
John Tyler  
James K. Polk  
Andrew Johnson