King Salman's New Year Resolution: Murder more people
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:16:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  King Salman's New Year Resolution: Murder more people
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: King Salman's New Year Resolution: Murder more people  (Read 2957 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
« edited: January 02, 2016, 10:01:00 AM by CrabCake the Liberal Magician »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/02/saudi-arabia-executes-47-people-in-one-day-including-iranian-cleric

THe Iranians aren't happy, and there's already angry protests in Bahrain, Kashmir and Shia areas of KSA. Iraq are thinking of closing the just opened Saudi embassy, and the Shia millitias seem to be demanding so. The Yemen "ceasefire" has collapsed

Seriously, I hope the West can cut ourselves away from this despotic regime ASAP.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »

Seriously, I hope the West can cut ourselves away from this despotic regime ASAP.

That would be nice but you see they are very, very rich.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:08:58 AM »

Agreed 100%
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:17:10 PM »

Its too bad we've given them hundreds of millions of dollars worth of our most advanced military equipment over the past 15 years.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »

That would be nice but you see they are very, very rich.

Honestly, I would take Iran over the Saudis at this point. The Iranian government has probably led to less American (and less Middle Eastern overall) deaths than the Saudis have.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »

I guess Dale Carnegie has never been translated into Arabic.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »

Its too bad we've given them hundreds of millions of dollars worth of our most advanced military equipment over the past 15 years.

You know what I think there's nothing wrong with selling weapon to the Saudis, the Saudis have problem dealing (problems as in they have invaded and occupied Saudi territory) with Yemenite mountain peasants armed with cold war weapon, and the Yemenite Army (the "rebel"..."fraction") have used Scud missiles, a cold war era weapon usual worthless to anything other than terrorising civilian population when not used with a nuclear load (thanks to their lousy targeting) to kill Saudi generals. They're so incredible incompetent that it's incredible, any modern weapon are completely worthless in their hands. So let them buy expensive toys from the West, that's at least some money they don't have to use to support terrorism.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 05:59:08 AM »

We should sell the Saudis malfunctioning equipment that blows up after a few uses.

That'd be cool.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »

The kingdom severs diplomatic ties with Iran. Guess that was to be expected after their embassy burned down...

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2016/01/03/444373/Saudi-Iran-diplomatic-ties-/
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 06:18:19 PM »

Both the Iranian and Saudi Governments are menaces to regional stability and humanity. Iran is not the lesser of two evils just because it is less theocratic.

both countries are sponsors of terrorism and both are threats to western ideals.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 06:19:16 PM »

Both the Iranian and Saudi Governments are menaces to regional stability and humanity. Iran is not the lesser of two evils just because it is less theocratic.

both countries are sponsors of terrorism and both are threats to western ideals.

Would you favor a military aid cutoff to the Sauds?
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 06:23:36 PM »

Eh, kinda Jewish opinion.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 07:43:14 PM »

Would you favor a military aid cutoff to the Sauds?

That's a hard one to answer.

From an American point of view...I want to say yes, because we don't know how close the Saudi leadership is too ISIS, just that there is a strong connection, but at the same time the United States cannot simply throw the Saudis too the side. A Iran-Russia dominated oil industry would be devastating for the west, I think, and if the U.S. cuts off aid, military or otherwise, then it will be easier for Iran to economically strongarm it's way to the top of regional and economic control.

From an Israeli view...I am 100% opposed to opening up relations with Saudi Arabia and it seems Israel has dropped this idea off the board completely, thankfully. I think Israel lost interest after the Saudi ties to ISIS became more clear. Israel should ignore the Saudis and strengthen it's alliances with Jordan and Egypt (which it currently is).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 07:59:13 PM »

Sauds are overplaying their hands at the moment. Their economy is in the crap, the rest of OPEC are getting severely annoyed at the Kingdom's oil policies that are causing so much turbulence atm, the other Gulf monarchies think the obsession with Iran is annnoying (Bahrain aside), their leadership is lazy and corrupt, their war policies are leading to chaos on their northern and southern borders and they seem to be severely ticking off the west. The worst thing for the Sauds is if the West starts to consider them a less rational actor than Iran (i.e. if the Reformists win the power struggle over there).

I would personally advocate for a total military boycott of KSA, because when the ruling clique is toppled by Muhammad al-Robespierre I don't want the West to look like  the evil sugar daddies. But what do I know? I am but a simple peasant without a portfolio of BAE and Boeing shares. Perhaps it would be better to bilaterally organise an arms boycott with Russia of the whole lot of them. Or I dunno, let Oman take the whole of MENA over. Oman seems like a pretty OK place.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 08:04:33 PM »

I agree in the sense that the entire region is a mess. Nothing is cut and dry and everything is murky.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 08:10:15 PM »

So Saudi Arabia severed its ties with Iran. Therefore, in Iran, people called for "death to America, Israel and England".
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 08:20:06 PM »

So Saudi Arabia severed its ties with Iran. Therefore, in Iran, people called for "death to America, Israel and England".

fwiw I think that the term often is translated literally, which makes it more melodramatic than it truly is means in Persian (It's more on par with "Down with", which is the sort of thing you hear shouted at in Western rallies all the time)

And are you really surprised? People view it as gospel in Iran that the KSA is a pupper of western powers. and we honestly don't help matters much in that regards...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 08:48:29 PM »

No, I am not surprised. Objectively it is still weird though, considering the fact that the US and the UK have been two of the most prominent actors that, through the Iran deal, are directly responsible for improving Iran's position both in an absolute sense (lifting of the sanctions leads to economic improvement) and in a relative sense (vis-à-vis Saudi Arabia).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 08:50:30 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2016, 08:52:22 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

The House of Saud is basically a terrorist organization.

Likud has plenty of blood on their hands.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 10:43:25 PM »

yea, making peace with Egypt in 1981 was pretty bloody Wink
and giving up Gaza completely in 2005! That was practically genocide Wink Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 01:35:33 AM »

yea, making peace with Egypt in 1981 was pretty bloody Wink
and giving up Gaza completely in 2005! That was practically genocide Wink Tongue

Opposition to the latter within Likud. caused the Prime Minster of Israel, Sharon, to leave Likud and form the  new Kadima party, so that's not a very good example.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 10:03:19 AM »

What's Ayatollah Khamenei's stance on Scottish independence?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 10:54:12 AM »

OH NO! NOT AGAIN!!

Well, that might be too much of a reaction and maybe it will show as totally irrelevant in the coming future, but that's kinda what it inspired me when I followed the developments of it during the day of the 2nd of January and all what followed since then...

Don't assassinate an influencial person with traditional facial hair in a very politically and economically tended context, and especially during the second decade of a century...

Well, yeah, in fact in the end of the day what are the main differences between KSA and IS?

One is recognized by the 'international community', and the other officially promotes terrorism.

'Amusing' that, in both cases, both make mess in the whole region thanks to the so brilliant US geopolitics and weapons.

The latter, IS, indirectly takes advantage and use of both the US weapons and geopolitics while KSA always managed to officially benefit from all of it. Again.

WHY, OH, WHY??! (hmm, maybe being voluntarily a bit naïve here...)

Hmm, trying to be less naïve, and to find a few answering elements, maybe it's interesting to notice that KSA begins to change its attitude when, amongst other things, the US begins a serious switch on its oil...

Drill baby! Drill!!

But why always focusing on US, KSA understood it pretty well, and began to play the French against the Anglos for a while now.

And French now looooves all that wonderful money suddenly flooding to also buy their wonderful advanced military equipment that few could buy in the world given its very high price and that it couldn't make scale price reduction given its smaller production, unlike the US. Before the KSA switch, France was the 5th weapon seller in the world, might make a better rank next year...

Seriously, the only big 'positive' economical news we had here during last months came from the military, 'brilliant'.

Then, yeah, it's kinda amusing to see Iran still shouting against their ever historical evils, 'US Big Satan' and 'its little Satan UK', while those both would have tried to help Iran in the recent agreement while France clearly was the bad cop siding KSA.

But, what we see in Iran is, indeed, as all not anti-regime demonstrations, something organized by power.

Then, so far, most of what we see, are both the Shiah/Iran side and the Sunni/KSA side playing with their little toys, maybe kinda testing the effects those could have.

Question is whether one of those both really wants to play with 'big toys'...

For a long time now, I don't believe in 'random escalations' for war, wars only happen if at least one side really wants war, WW1 would pretty much illustrate it from my point of view, nothing called for a direct war after the assasination, but it was wonderful to use it for some regimes, knowing that such or such move would lead to such or such consequence.

In the same way, KSA certainly knew the impact that such an assasination could have on the regional geopolitical context and on Iran/'Shiah world'.

And if so, through that, it might be aiming at something big in that 'new' 'trendy' Shiah-Sunni less and less 'cold war'.

It certainly is pissed about all that unsolved ongoing mess with Shiahs/Iran in at least those both almost disappeared states that are Syria and Yemen, not to speak about the fact that those conflicts help what's becoming a challenger to them and their internal stability, the wonderful IS.

It also maybe feels they can less and less count on the US, begins to be more and more self-confident at making an independent and stronger geopolitics (the 'Islamic Coalition' move a few weeks ago was very interesting...), and maybe beginning to enjoy the 'taste of war' by also being more self-confident at making it by themselves...

So, the question would be, is King Salman's New Year Resolution only is to 'murder more people', or to, 'just', open a total war with the Shiah world?

How ironical that, for a while now the country that would need the most the nuclear weapon from a defensive point of view, dissuasion, is, well, Iran.

For a long while now I chatted with people from different parts of Mid-East through Internet, and its crazy how you can verify the stereotype, amongst different kinds of people with different backgrounds, about the hatred between Persians and Arabs, and sorry to keep on that, the reference might again be too much, and I might be culturally biased about it, but what it directly reminded me precisely is the 'traditional' hatred you could have between French and Germans before WW1.

One other thing that marked me about that is through an interesting French documentary about the evolution of Iranian regime since the 'Islamic Revolution' that I saw a few years ago, in that one, at one point, there was an interview of Khatami (Iranian 'Reformist' president, right before Ahmadinejad) who witnessed about the fact he saw Khomeini on his 'death bed', as we say in French, whom would have told him something like:

Maybe, in your life, at one point, you will have to shake hands of Americans, well, if so, that's life...

BUT.

NEVER, never, never, never, EVER, shake the hands of those [insert some very insulting Persian swearings] of Sauds...

Very last news:

Sudan and Bahrein totally cut their diplomatic relationships with Iran.

KSA now cuts all its commercial and aerial relationships with Iran.

They continue to play with little toys...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »

Kuwait pulls out from Tehran
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »

We should sell the Saudis malfunctioning equipment that blows up after a few uses.

That'd be cool.

You don't need to, just sell them something, and the Saudi will make sure that the the equitment will soon be worthless, through complete lack of maintenance and repair.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies