Jan '16 Southern Legislative Debate: Commentary Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:14:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Jan '16 Southern Legislative Debate: Commentary Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jan '16 Southern Legislative Debate: Commentary Thread  (Read 742 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2016, 11:15:22 PM »
« edited: January 04, 2016, 07:05:14 PM by Senator Truman »

As some of you may know, the Mideast Record-Courier is in the process of organizing a debate for the upcoming Southern legislative election. Two of the candidates (Kingpoleon and Speaker Haslam) have already agreed to attend the debate; the other three candidates have yet to RSVP. In the interests of making the debate as informative and exciting as possible, I will be accepting question submissions from Southern citizens over the next few days. If you are registered to vote in one of the states of the Southern Region and have a question (or questions) that you would like to ask the candidates, send it to me in a PM (in the interests of fairness, I ask that candidates refrain from proposing questions at this time). Depending on the number of submissions, there may not be time to ask every question that is submitted, but I will do my best to make sure that each issue is addressed.

Fire away!
Harry S Truman, editor
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:00:15 PM »

Maybe you could come up with your own?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 10:21:16 PM »

Maybe you could come up with your own?

I'm guessing he'll do that already. But it's nice to offer everyone else the chance to pose questions.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 03:37:33 AM »

There has been a lack of commentary so far in the commentary thread. I shall fix that in my typical long-winded fashion:

More than anything, I love the activity. Almost a full pages worth of it for a legislative debate! Keep it up! Smiley

Basically, my thoughts on the debate are as follows: paragraph breaks are really good, straw men are really bad.

Specifically, Kingpoleon's first paragraph on abortion, where he uses child molestation by a family member as an example on abortion. Obviously this would be under both the rape and incest clauses, so it's completely irrelevant.

I totally get the position that it's merely a personal belief, and on many levels I sympathize with that position. But I think it misses the point. Let me try to explain: I am personally opposed to someone smashing someone's car window with a baseball bat. I would tell my kids not to do it (if I had kids), and I personally would never do such a thing. But if someone thought it was okay, and did it, should they go without punishment? Should I refrain from "imposing" my "personal belief" on them?

Of course not, because being opposed to vandalism is more than a personal belief. It's a violation of that person's right to property, and thus a responsibility of the government's to protect. More important than that, I would say, is the right to life, and if you think that a fetus is a life at a certain point (say, at the time when the heart starts beating--which is much earlier than the dates most people are proposing) then every time after that point, how is that not in the remit of government to protect that right to life? Yes, people have the right to make their own choices, but doesn't that end when the choice infringes upon that of others?

Not trying to start another argument about that, just curious on how someone can think it's a life and still think it's not within the remit of government to protect that life's right to, well, live. To me, protecting basic rights (e.g. life, liberty, property) is one of the very few things (come to think of it, the only thing) the government should be doing. I'm always curious on how people determine their views, and thus am interested in how Kingpoleon (who has done a good job, by the way: with rebuttals, a fairly good defense of his basic views, and paragraph breaks) determines his.

Also, there are no income taxes in the South. And if there were, they would not have survived a term with me as governor.

So, as much as I like cutting taxes, and like lots of the policy proposals, that doesn't quite work in the Southern region of Atlasia today.

Lots of good/interesting proposals, though. Kingpoleon's regional currency idea fascinates me greatly, although I think there would be major problems with it in application.

Again, though: paragraph breaks > most things > straw men.

Oh, and I guess I didn't do this publically, but many thanks to Truman for running this debate!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 12:46:40 AM »

I wasn't sure about the tax system, so I tried to be pretty vague. My apologies. I just wish we had a way to balance out the regressiveness of the flat income tax, though I do appreciate the easiness of collecting the latter. Perhaps a compromise with a small progressive income tax, all under 15% or so, and an exemption for necessities for those making 80% of the average income or less and a complete exemption for those making 60% of the average income or less.

My ideas are all ones I'm willing to deals on, and if I manage progressive income taxes of 10% or less, I'd gladly cut a bit of the flat sales tax until we get our employment under control.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 03:01:57 AM »

The current question seems slightly inaccurate:

It seems to me that the Southern Constitution doesn't need to be amended for this to happen:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

So it seems that the proper, constitutional mechanism to change that is by the Legislature providing otherwise by law--exactly what it's doing now--and not necessarily by Constitutional amendment. Although I suppose I wouldn't be against hard-coding the system into the Constitution at some point.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 10:59:27 PM »

Who would you guys say is the winner of the debate?
I say Kingpoleon definitely was the clear winner for me. I felt that he gave clear policy proposals and has obviously put thought into them. If I was in the South he would be one of my top 3.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 03:52:03 AM »

Who would you guys say is the winner of the debate?

Probably Kingpoleon. Although I think Pingvin did well, too.

Kingpoleon didn't always say what I agreed with, but he articulated his views well, actually did rebuttals, and had paragraph breaks. And I think that Pingvin also articulated his views well, too--but perhaps it's just that he said stuff I like to hear (well, read).

Some good pointers would be: making sure your arguments are clear and logical, making sure it's readable, and making sure it's grammatically clear. Proofreading does a wonderful job at that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies