Canadian by-elections, 2016 (next event: Quebec provincial byelections [Dec 5])
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:57:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2016 (next event: Quebec provincial byelections [Dec 5])
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2016 (next event: Quebec provincial byelections [Dec 5])  (Read 62380 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2016, 08:39:40 AM »

Donnacona mayoral results:

Jean-Claude Léveillée: 949
Isabelle Blackburn: 311

Delson:

Christian Ouellette (Ind.): 1008
Stéphane Perrault (Action Delson): 917
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2016, 10:47:46 AM by Poirot »

In Delson for one seat representing the northern part of the town, Jean-Michel Pepin of Action Delson won with 652 votes against Perry Doe (IND) 275 votes. Turnout was 32%. Turnout for the mayor's race was 34.3%

In Boucherville the mayor's candidate easily won. Josée Bissonnette (Équipe Jean Martel - Option citoyens - citoyennes) received 479 votes to 148 votes for Monique Reeves (IND). Turnout was 16%

Pierre Renaud is the new mayor of Beaupré. He got 407 votes while Jonathan Tremblay got 109 votes. Turnout was 15%.  Michèle Abdelnour was elected to council in district 6.

There were 5 candidates running for district 5 in ville Mont-Royal.

Claude Demers – 19 votes
Charles Faribault - 16 votes
Barbara Lapointe - 174 votes
Sarah Morgan - 53 votes
Michelle Setlakwe - 256 votes

Turnout was 24.5%. Faribault was a tv journalist on TVA. He was against the fence along Parc-Extension.
The winner, Setlakwe, is from the parti Action Mont-Royal, the party of the mayor and control all council. Looking for the result, unless there are many women with the same name, I found she is daughter of a former Senator appointed by Chrétien and spouse of Michael Fortier.  
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »

16 votes for the anti-wall candidate? Mount Royal residents love their wall. Gotta keep those Mexicans dirty hippies in Parc-Extension out! I suppose they're all backing Trump too?
the506
Canada

« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »

Miramichi NB mayor Gerry Cormier died of a heart attack yesterday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/miramichi-gerry-cormier-dies-1.3643020
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2016, 09:44:17 PM »

16 votes for the anti-wall candidate? Mount Royal residents love their wall. Gotta keep those Mexicans dirty hippies in Parc-Extension out! I suppose they're all backing Trump too?

I don't know if the fence was an issue and if it's a factor in his result. In the article I read he said it was his most controversial proposal. 
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2016, 10:53:23 PM »

Since when is Parc-Extension a neighbourhood of 'dirty hippies'?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2016, 11:14:31 PM »

Since never, unless it changed in the last 2 years. Given the state of housing there, I doubt hippies would move there anyways.

It's rather "poor immigrants talking not French nor English". Also "forest of satellite dishes", there is like 10 on every building.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2016, 06:19:24 AM »

In the underwhelming battle of the backed progressives for the TDSB by-election in Toronto Centre-Rosedale, Chris Moise won.
Moise was backed by both NDP aligned Councillors Pam McConnell and Kristyn Wong-Tam and unions OSSTF and CUPE. On the other side Li Koo was the Liberal, supported by MPP Glen Murray, MP Chrystia Freeland, as a former TDSB chair and MPP Donna Cansfield.

Moise - 36%
Koo - 28%
http://election.toronto.ca/epr2014/eprDetail.do?114 - Turnout was low, as to be expected. 15% or so if I did the math right.

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2016/06/20/chris-moise-elected-new-toronto-centre-rosedale-trustee.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #208 on: June 21, 2016, 08:27:48 AM »

I was being facetious.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2016, 08:28:44 AM »

In the underwhelming battle of the backed progressives for the TDSB by-election in Toronto Centre-Rosedale, Chris Moise won.
Moise was backed by both NDP aligned Councillors Pam McConnell and Kristyn Wong-Tam and unions OSSTF and CUPE. On the other side Li Koo was the Liberal, supported by MPP Glen Murray, MP Chrystia Freeland, as a former TDSB chair and MPP Donna Cansfield.

Moise - 36%
Koo - 28%
http://election.toronto.ca/epr2014/eprDetail.do?114 - Turnout was low, as to be expected. 15% or so if I did the math right.

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2016/06/20/chris-moise-elected-new-toronto-centre-rosedale-trustee.html

15% is very good for a school board by-election.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »

According to Elections NB, there are "municipal by-elections" scheduled for November 14, but don't say which ones. I'd imagine it's a planned date for any vacancies that should occur between the last elections and then, so I guess Miramichi will get a by-election then.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2016, 05:17:25 PM by RogueBeaver »

Calgary Midnapore: Kenney is leaving federal politics for Edmonton, probably trying to commandeer the PCAA's smoking hulk.
adma
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »

15% is very good for a school board by-election.

Helps that it's downtown rather than suburban.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #213 on: June 27, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »

Glen Hotz will be the next MP from Medicine Hat-Cardston-Warner.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »

Calgary-Midnapore: Kenney will resign this fall.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2016, 04:58:41 PM »

I'm thinking Trudeau pulls the trigger on all three vacant/future vacant Alberta seats for the same day... probably looking at a late October / November date depending on when Harper and Kenney resign.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »

Fleury I am pretty sure is a Liberal. He's the mayor's biggest ally on council, and he's surrounded by the local Liberal machine.  Fleury might actually be a potential Liberal candidate.

Fleury decided not to run in provincial Ottawa-Vanier. Wants to stay close to home for now. Madeleine Meilleur was ready to support him.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2016, 05:48:41 PM »

Fleury I am pretty sure is a Liberal. He's the mayor's biggest ally on council, and he's surrounded by the local Liberal machine.  Fleury might actually be a potential Liberal candidate.

Fleury decided not to run in provincial Ottawa-Vanier. Wants to stay close to home for now. Madeleine Meilleur was ready to support him.

Preparing to replace Mauril Bélanger, then?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2016, 08:52:19 PM »

I was thinking that. He could start a family. Working in Ottawa he would not have to travel. Another reason he gave is he is copresident of Ottawa Celebrations 2017. Maybe it means the federal by-election would need to be more than a year from now unless he just doesn't want to say he,s waiting for the federal opening with better pay and no commute. He says he's willing to move to another level of politics in the future.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/actualites/ville-dottawa/201607/07/01-4998937-mathieu-fleury-ne-tentera-pas-de-succeder-a-madeleine-meilleur.php
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2016, 01:21:46 PM »

This is rather morbid speculation, considering Belanger is still alive. Is there talk of him stepping down?
adma
« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2016, 04:29:08 PM »

This is rather morbid speculation, considering Belanger is still alive. Is there talk of him stepping down?

It's like Layton five summers ago.  We all know, yet discretion demands, etc etc.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2016, 04:42:03 PM »

I'm not speculating on his death or resignation, I think Bélanger will try to end his term and retire in 2019. It's quite obvious the seat will be open next election, through.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »

I'm thinking Trudeau pulls the trigger on all three vacant/future vacant Alberta seats for the same day... probably looking at a late October / November date depending on when Harper and Kenney resign.

That would be the most tedious set of by-elections in quite some time
adma
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2016, 02:57:21 PM »

I'm not speculating on his death or resignation, I think Bélanger will try to end his term and retire in 2019. It's quite obvious the seat will be open next election, through.

Given how rapid his deterioration's been, I'd be looking into three more months (if even that) rather than three more years for him.  And as everyone knows, the national anthem issue's been a symbolic farewell gesture on his behalf; so if the prognosis is terminal, everything's being "managed".  And I don't think anyone other than the crankier Conservative types is raising a fuss over his non-resignation at this point--Belanger's earned his right to die with his Parliamentary boots on.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/politique/politique-quebecoise/201607/18/01-5002140-deja-six-candidats-pour-linvestiture-du-pq-dans-marie-victorin.php

La Presse reports there is 6 candidates so far for being the PQ candidate. Former Higher Education minister, Pierre Duchesne, declined to run.

Candidates:
Philippe Cloutier, philosophy teacher in college, Bloc candidate for Longueuil--Charles-LeMoyne (2nd, 27%)
Nicolas Dionne, negociator for a teacher union and former businessman.
Carl Gilbert, former journalist for the Canadian Press and the (defunct) business news channel of Quebecor.
Catherine Fournier, candidate for Bloc leadership, former President of the Bloc, formerly on the staff of Péladeau when he was PQ leader, Bloc candidate in Montarville (2nd, 28%)
Mathieu Marcotte, lawyer.
Sophie Stanké, TV host, actress, spokeperson of the "Mouvement Montréal Français" (they fight for the primauty of the French language in Montreal), Bloc candidate in Châteauguay-Lacolle (2nd, 24%) and PQ candidate in Laporte in 2014 (2nd, 24%) and in Saint-Henri--Sainte-Anne in 2012 (2nd, 32%)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies