Canadian by-elections, 2016 (next event: Quebec provincial byelections [Dec 5])
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:54:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2016 (next event: Quebec provincial byelections [Dec 5])
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2016 (next event: Quebec provincial byelections [Dec 5])  (Read 62801 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: November 17, 2016, 09:56:54 PM »

Calls should be coming soon, right? Results have been within a very narrow band so far.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #426 on: November 17, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »

CBC calls Ottawa for the Grits.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #427 on: November 17, 2016, 10:02:44 PM »

CBC calls Niagara West for the little fascist
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #428 on: November 17, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »

interesting to see the stop sex-ed party doing well in Ottawa-Vanier, but terrible in Niagara West, due to the fact that all the far right vote is going to the Tories there. Meanwhile, the Libertarian vote is higher than normal in Niagara due to moderate Tories not wanting to vote for the boy.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #429 on: November 18, 2016, 06:38:34 AM »

Also, GPR is the only Francophone riding in the province. Ottawa-Vanier is only 31% French.

Timmins-James Bay and, I believe Nickel Belt, have larger French populations than Ottawa-Vanier.
adma
« Reply #430 on: November 18, 2016, 08:30:25 AM »

interesting to see the stop sex-ed party doing well in Ottawa-Vanier,

Wonder if the candidate being the daughter of GPR's ex-Con MP (and current leadership contender) played a part...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #431 on: November 18, 2016, 10:01:47 AM »

Also, GPR is the only Francophone riding in the province. Ottawa-Vanier is only 31% French.

Timmins-James Bay and, I believe Nickel Belt, have larger French populations than Ottawa-Vanier.

Surprisingly, Orleans has about the same Franco population as well, but it is not as concentrated in any particular neighbourhood like in Ottawa-Vanier.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #432 on: November 18, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »

Results:

Ottawa-Vanier
Liberal: 14,678 (48.6%) [-7.0%]
PC: 9,023 (29.8%) [+7.6%]
NDP: 4,544 (15.0%) [+1.7%]
Green: 972 (3.2%) [-4.8%]
Others: 1,012 (3.3%)

Turnout: 36.4%
Swing: -7.3% (PC to Liberal)

Niagara West-Glanbrook
PC: 17,651 (54.0%) [+12.2%]
NDP: 8,123 (24.9%) [+2.6%]
Liberal: 4,997 (15.3%) [-13.1%]
Green: 892 (2.7%) [-2.6%]
Others: 1,023 (3.1%)

Turnout: 32.0%
Swing: +4.8% (NDP to PC)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #433 on: November 18, 2016, 12:01:07 PM »

Next provincial by-elections will be here in 2 weeks.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #434 on: November 20, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »

West Vancouver council by-election:

Peter Lambur: 1262 (24.4%)
Andy Krawczyk: 939 (18.2%)
David Ayriss: 662 (12.8%)
Joanna Baxter: 550 (10.7%)
Tom Dodd: 544 (10.5%)
Tara Haddad: 432 (8.4%)
Carolanne Reynolds: 262 (5.1%)
David A. Jones: 183 (3.5%)
Vernon Pahl: 175 (3.4%)
Rosa Jafari: 73 (1.4%)
Farzaneh Bamani: 72 (1.4%)
Jon Johnson: 9 (0.2%)

Turnout was roughly 17%

Election was at-large, as BC municipalities don't have wards.

Lambur is an architect who campaigned on restoring confidence in the city planning process. The seat was vacated when previous councillor Michael Lewis died.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #435 on: November 20, 2016, 02:49:03 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2016, 02:51:20 PM by DC Al Fine »

Roll Eyes
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #436 on: November 20, 2016, 05:40:12 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2016, 05:44:27 PM by 🍁 Hatman »

Oh please, do you know how many times I've been called a communist for simply supporting the NDP? After Trump's win last week, I have zero f**ks to give anyways.

Words cannot describe how icky I feel about this boy. The kid's been homeschooled his entire life, holds reprehensible views and has little real world experience. And now he's an MPP? Christ.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #437 on: November 21, 2016, 05:58:37 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 06:09:07 AM by DC Al Fine »

Oh please, do you know how many times I've been called a communist for simply supporting the NDP?

On Atlas? I'd wager very few. 

After Trump's win last week, I have zero f**ks to give anyways.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.

Words cannot describe how icky I feel about this boy. The kid's been homeschooled his entire life, holds reprehensible views

While it's sad to confirm you are a bigot against my culture, like large swathes of the left, that doesn't make him a fascist and you should know better.

and has little real world experience. And now he's an MPP? Christ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_Canadian_federal_election,_2011#Quebec
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #438 on: November 21, 2016, 09:54:16 AM »

1) No not on atlas, but in real life of course)

2) Layton was a saint. I am not. Sorry.

3) Some cultures are inferior to others. Many liberals won't say that of course, but it's true. It's wrong to be bigoted against someone for something they can't change/control, but I have no problem calling someone out for choosing to have beliefs that are bigoted against people who are different based on things they can't change.

Most people who are homeschooled are done so for one reason: Their parents want to protect them from outside influences. This is truly awful.

4) The young people elected in the 2011 election had way more real life experience than this kid. They weren't sheltered in some fundamentalist sect their who life. They went to public school where they were exposed to other cultures. This is not about his age.

I do hope his exposure to other beliefs at Queen's Park will moderate him. It has to right? I'm sure he's a nice guy. Hopefully he'll learn a thing or two.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #439 on: November 21, 2016, 10:11:29 AM »

Back on topic,

Nicolet, Quebec didn't end up having a mayoral election after all as councillor Geneviève Dubois was acclaimed to that position, though they did have a council by-election to replace her. Dupous replaces outgoing mayor Alain Douin who had resigned. Nicolet is a town of 8,000 people opposite the St. Lawrence from Trois-Rivieres.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #440 on: November 21, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »

Not a by-election, but there was a referendum in Outremont, Quebec on banning places of worship on Bernard Avenue. Voters there supported the measure 1561 to 1202. Outremont's large Jewish population is outraged.

Since I've just been basically called a bigot Wink I would have voted no for the record.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #441 on: November 21, 2016, 04:14:32 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 04:17:14 PM by Adam T »

Odd how I didn't see any National Post stories after this 19 year old know nothing was elected to the Provincial Parliament that the entire P.C caucus is made up of university students like they dishonestly claimed the NDP caucus was when they won in Alberta.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #442 on: November 22, 2016, 06:29:41 AM »

Not a by-election, but there was a referendum in Outremont, Quebec on banning places of worship on Bernard Avenue. Voters there supported the measure 1561 to 1202. Outremont's large Jewish population is outraged.

Since I've just been basically called a bigot Wink I would have voted no for the record.

You used the f word, I used the b word. Let's call it even Tongue

So, what's the story here? I see the NO campaign was led by Hasidic Jews. Was this a case of tension with the Gentile community, or did people think they were banning mosques, or something else?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #443 on: November 22, 2016, 10:25:38 AM »

From what I gather, people don't like the fundamentalism of their orthodox Jewish neighbours (big families, insularity, misogyny, etc.) and have taken it out at the ballot box. I agree with their fears of course, but the whole thing seems unconstitutional.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #444 on: November 22, 2016, 11:13:03 AM »

There is huge tensions between Orthodox Jews and non-Orthodox Jews in Outremont, the core of it seems to be than businesses don't want temples near them, due to all the traffic they generate (they take parking spaces). They are also afraid of potential complaints (a YMCA had had to put frosting in windows after Orthodox Jews complained than women doing gym was disturbing young men studying in the school across the street). Since then, businesses live in fear of "reasonable accomodements" demands. Note than there is a similar ban on Van Horne Avenue since 2 decades without any complaints.

The borough offered them a plot near the new University Campus than they won't need finally, but the Hassidim says it's too far from where they live (men need to go to the temple twice a day and can't use cars on some days).
DL
Canada

« Reply #445 on: November 22, 2016, 11:19:02 AM »

Why doesnt the Quebec government offer to give the Hassidim a plot of land in northern Quebec and have them build a Hutterite style closed community where everyone is walking distance to the synagogue and where they don't have to be in contact with the rest of society. None of them have jobs - they just pray and study all day anyways - so what does it matter to them if they are on the shores of James Bay or in the middle of Outremont...?

Seems to me that the problem with these religious freaks is that they want to live like an isolated religious sect/cult in the middle of a densely populated diverse urban area - its never going to work. Why can't they be like the Amish or the Hutterites and isolate themselves  to a remote place where they can live as they please with no contact with the rest of the world?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #446 on: November 22, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »

Why doesnt the Quebec government offer to give the Hassidim a plot of land in northern Quebec

Ancestral Cree land, they would have to give Crees compensations for the loss of land (like in the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement or in the Paix des Braves).
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #447 on: November 22, 2016, 02:18:30 PM »

There is huge tensions between Orthodox Jews and non-Orthodox Jews in Outremont, the core of it seems to be than businesses don't want temples near them, due to all the traffic they generate (they take parking spaces). They are also afraid of potential complaints (a YMCA had had to put frosting in windows after Orthodox Jews complained than women doing gym was disturbing young men studying in the school across the street). Since then, businesses live in fear of "reasonable accomodements" demands. Note than there is a similar ban on Van Horne Avenue since 2 decades without any complaints.

The borough offered them a plot near the new University Campus than they won't need finally, but the Hassidim says it's too far from where they live (men need to go to the temple twice a day and can't use cars on some days).

Are you sure you don't mean the Ultra Orthodox Jews?  The Orthodox Jews are the mainstream religious Jews.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #448 on: November 22, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »

Are you sure you don't mean the Ultra Orthodox Jews?  The Orthodox Jews are the mainstream religious Jews.

Well, that's how the Quebec media reports it. Hassidim=Orthodox, while the others are mainstream.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #449 on: November 22, 2016, 04:05:13 PM »

Well, that's how the Quebec media reports it. Hassidim=Orthodox, while the others are mainstream.

Conservative and Reform Jews are the mainstream in North America, Orthodox Jews are in Europe, Latin America and Israel.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies