Does democracy equal majority rule?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:25:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Does democracy equal majority rule?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Does democracy equal majority rule?
yes (dem)
no (dem)
yes (rep)
no (rep)
yes (other)
no (other)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Does democracy equal majority rule?  (Read 9435 times)
TB
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 03:31:29 PM »

No. I think you can say a lot about a democracy by looking at how a certain country treats its minorities. Majority rules, but minorities also have certain rights.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2005, 03:56:23 PM »

To the extent that the minority has rights, it is undemocratic.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2005, 04:11:01 PM »

The Constitution is a contract between states. It is a series of amendments to the Articles of Confederation, and the states are bound only to what authority they ceded to the federal government.

Making fun of something incredibly stupid is not childish.

So you are saying that contract law applies to the administration of the constitution of the United States of America? There maybe some aspects of a constitution that are similar to a contract, but a constitution is not a contract, not even if it suits your arguement. You'll argue anything won't you. Let me just try it. A18, the sky is blue.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2005, 04:18:33 PM »

I'm not going to debate semantics. The states agreed to give the federal government certain powers. Those powers can't just change on them, exactly as in a contract.

By the way, the sky is occasionally pink, orange, and other neat colors. So, unsurprisingly, you're even wrong on that.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 04:22:56 PM »

It's not as if democracy isn't a laughable concept.

To the extent that the minority has rights, it is undemocratic.

I really must stop talking to people that say such things.

I do find it interesting that we have yet to find a Republican that has not voted no to the question and I wonder how these folks would vote on such a question if they were not the majority. Most likely they would be voting the opposite of how the Democrats would be voting if the Democrats were the majority. I can hardly wait for the next cycle of power when the Democrats are saying all the things that the Republicans are currently saying and the Republicans are saying all the things the Democrats are currently saying. Will that not be fun.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 04:25:33 PM »

Both of those statements are obviously true.

If we were not the majority, we would still agree that democracy is majority rule. I find it hilarious that some can't admit that democracy sucks.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 04:33:22 PM »

If we were not the majority, we would still agree that democracy is majority rule. I find it hilarious that some can't admit that democracy sucks.

OK, I'll bite one more time. If a18 had the power to reshape the government of this nation as he/she pleased, what form would a18 give it?
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 04:38:12 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2005, 05:07:16 PM by Palefire »

I would also be very pleased to note that there is no "we" on this issue. You are waaaaaay beyond most Republicans. Unless some where along the line the GOP has adopted the position that "democracy sucks" and I didn't notice it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2005, 04:47:01 PM »

A system of checks and balances, of which democracy plays a part. However, I don't think unlimited debate should be one of the checks.

I used "we" not in connection to the statement "democracy sucks," but in connection to the statement that democracy is majority rule, something this poll of yours obviously reflects.

I think most people agree that pure democracy sucks.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 05:03:50 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2005, 05:22:11 PM by Palefire »

A system of checks and balances, of which democracy plays a part. However, I don't think unlimited debate should be one of the checks.

I used "we" not in connection to the statement "democracy sucks," but in connection to the statement that democracy is majority rule, something this poll of yours obviously reflects.

So you are saying that what we have is great except for the unlimited debate?

I really don't think the 5 Republicans that have voted in this poll are a good measuring stick for the entire Republican population of this country. Do you think they are? But maybe you were only refering to those 5 when you said we? But 5 people is hardly the "majority". Don't you just hate it when a narrow group inside the majority credits the majority with sharing all their little beliefs? I also think I'll hold on to my belief that when the Republicans are not the majority they will, for the most part, join me in supporting minority rights; I've seen it the past, and expect it in the future.

And didn't you say that democracy was a laughable concept? I take it, by that, you intended to say that pure democracy sucks and that the basic concept was sound? Or did you just mean that democracy was laughable concept, like it sounded?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2005, 05:28:53 PM »

Democracy is majority rule.

Republicanism is not.

The survival of the country rests on this distinction...if it gets too blurry (and it gets blurrier every day)...well, what we have is good while it lasts.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2005, 05:53:45 PM »

Democracy is majority rule.

Republicanism is not.

The survival of the country rests on this distinction...if it gets too blurry (and it gets blurrier every day)...well, what we have is good while it lasts.

I don't agree that Democracy has to be majority rule - but it certainly could be defined as such. I agree with you that simple majority rule is a bad thing and the blur that is occuring in this nation is most harmful (I hope I'm not putting words in your mouth - that is not my intent). So, what do think can be done about it?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 05:59:31 PM »

So you are saying that what we have is great except for the unlimited debate?

I really don't think the 5 Republicans that have voted in this poll are a good measuring stick for the entire Republican population of this country. Do you think they are? But maybe you were only refering to those 5 when you said we? But 5 people is hardly the "majority". Don't you just hate it when a narrow group inside the majority credits the majority with sharing all their little beliefs? I also think I'll hold on to my belief that when the Republicans are not the majority they will, for the most part, join me in supporting minority rights; I've seen it the past, and expect it in the future.

And didn't you say that democracy was a laughable concept? I take it, by that, you intended to say that pure democracy sucks and that the basic concept was sound? Or did you just mean that democracy was laughable concept, like it sounded?

I've noticed you distort people's positions, presumably because your own position is too weak to stand on its own.

When you accuse him of being unclear on whether he dislikes pure democracy or democracy as loosely applied in everyday parlance, you are being fundamentally dishonest.  What he said was:

So he was very clear in limiting his comments to only pure democracy.

Clean it up next time.
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2005, 07:20:58 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2005, 09:26:56 AM by Palefire »

When you accuse him of being unclear on whether he dislikes pure democracy or democracy as loosely applied in everyday parlance, you are being fundamentally dishonest.  What he said was:

So he was very clear in limiting his comments to only pure democracy.

Clean it up next time.

It's not as if democracy isn't a laughable concept.

Read a little more, Mr. Ford, prior to judging next time. You might find your own attacks on peoples positions are not so weak if you don't jump into the middle of a conversation and assume you know the beginning of it without bothering to look.
Oh, and Mr. Ford, do note the question marks in my last comment to a18. Seeking further clarification of somebody elses opinion is hardly stating somebody elses opinion, much less distorting it. I assume you are bright enough to be able to tell that difference and wonder why you would make such a distortion yourself.

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2005, 06:16:14 PM »

Nice work bringing the debate out of the gutter.

This is what I mean when i say clean it up.  You insult someone, them pretend you didn't insult them as you dive in for seconds.  You very clearly tried to distort A18s position by deliberately ignoring the words he used and altering/ignoring them.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2005, 06:20:12 PM »

This guy's asking to be slapped around
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2005, 08:14:40 PM »

Nice work bringing the debate out of the gutter.

This is what I mean when i say clean it up.  You insult someone, them pretend you didn't insult them as you dive in for seconds.  You very clearly tried to distort A18s position by deliberately ignoring the words he used and altering/ignoring them.

Are you just not reading A18's quotes? You may not like the sarcasm I injected, that A18 so richly deservers (and yes - it was not intended to be "nice", which may have bothered you) - but at least be honest about if your going to try and crawl up my butt with Slappy Jake. You're sounding like a partisan trying to aid a fellow partisan that has said some silly things, not somebody trying to raise the level of the debate (and Slappy Jake certainly isn't trying to raise the level of the debate). Having read a number of your other posts, I don't think that is true - but that is the perception.

Raising the debate out the gutter is a fine goal Mr. Ford, good luck with that (have you looked at some of this board) - you might wish to think a little harder about how to achieve that. A little more honesty on your part could go a long way, assuming raising the level of debate is your actual goal.

Now, with you and Slappy Jake hanging out in the backside of pants I'm having a hard time walking around. You may exit them at any time, soon would be a good thing - I just ate. Lighten up, a little at least, and loosen up the old sphincter while you’re at it (and doubly so for you Slappy). I here that can improve your golf game as well.

Now maybe - just maybe - politics can become the discussion point again and my pants will be a little lighter, or did you and Slappy Jake come here for a different reason? I believe the topic was majority rule, no?
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2005, 03:17:22 AM »

So, you prefer Republicanism? Isn't that basically what we have now in the United States? We choose people to represent us in the legislature and electors are chosen to elect the executive authority. The popular vote means very little. On the national level, anyway.

I agree that the most dangerous part of pure democracy is the formation of a comformist, mob mentality of the people.

And most people don't understand what pure democracy is. Most people believe that we live under a purely democratic government, but we do not. And most people support democracy in general.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies