Mapping the Chicago area
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:09:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Mapping the Chicago area
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mapping the Chicago area  (Read 1600 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2016, 12:01:30 AM »

So, I've decided to do a series of posts where I divide different parts of the Chicago area into "districts" politically and culturally. They are not similar in population. Instead, the boundaries encompass areas that I consider similar politically and culturally.

My choosing to do this is based on 1) extra time I have this week 2) certain posters have enjoyed my looks into Chicagoland before and 3) the inevitable passive aggressive argument with Green Line that is sure to ensue.

I am less excited for Rockefeller's sure-to-come comment about "poor Lake Forest, the minorities are turning their county (non atlas) blue" or something like that, completely ignoring the swaths of white Democratic areas in the county (many of them well-off, even).

Here we go with the northern suburbs:

District 1

Population: 157,575

Breakdown: 57% White, 12% Black, 9% Hispanic, 18% Asian

2008 Result: 76% Obama

This district includes the cities of Skokie, Morton Grove, and the southern half of Evanston. The theme of this district is that it is essentially the city. These areas have a feel that is indistinguishable from the north side of Chicago. There is decent racial diversity - southern Evanston is heavily African-American, Niles and Morton Grove have decent Asian populations, Skokie has a large Jewish population - and the white areas of the district tend to be relatively cosmopolitan. The inner ring of the inner ring, this is a very liberal district.

District 2

Population: 148,991

Breakdown: 79% White, 2% Black, 5% Hispanic, 11% Asian

2008 Result: 63% Obama

This district is the richest of the bunch and one of the richest areas in the country. Towns include the northern half of Evanston, Winnetka, Kenilworth, Glenview, and Northfield. It is very white and of Christian background - although it is worth noting that there is a decent Jewish population mixed in. White, rich, and Christian - and not heavily Republican? Rockefeller's head is spinning. An academic bent has turned this area (non atlas) blue. It no doubt drifted back toward Romney in 2012 (it was an area that swung hard for Obama) - but also no doubt still voted to re-elect Obama. A fascinating area.

District 3

Population: 82,020

Breakdown: 83% White, 1% Black, 10% Hispanic, 5% Asian

2008 Result: 72% Obama

This district is characterized by a very large Jewish population as well as large amounts of wealth. It includes Highland Park, Deerfield, Highwood, and Glencoe. This area is repeatedly solidly Democratic. Due to its large amount of wealth and >70% Obama bent, this area is dense with Democratic donors. There is a notable cultural division between this area and the wealthy Christian districts to its immediate north and south.

District 4

Population: 458,358

Breakdown: 68% White, 2% Black, 14% Hispanic, 12% Asian

2008 Result: 58% Obama

Sprawl, sprawl, sprawl. This district is intense with growth over the course of the last 20 years. It includes Schaumburg, Palatine, Arlington Heights, and Mount Prospect. It is a solidly middle class area. Lots of monotonous subdivisions. It's got sizeable Asian and Hispanic populations, suggesting that its white population is decently Republican, which is consistent with many new and sprawly middle class suburbs. Lots of individuals that have worked their way to the middle class and are big on the "pull yourself up" outlook.

District 5

Population: 151,792

Breakdown: 65% White, 2% Black, 18% Hispanic, 13% Asian

This area is also new and growing but seemingly less sprawly. Strong Asian and Jewish populations exist in this area, although I was admittedly surprised when compiling the map that the Asian population is not near what I thought it was in this area. The district includes Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills, and Lincolnshire. It is essentially a more well-off version of District 4. It is also more Democratic than District 4 (Rockefeller's hear spins again). It's schools are incredible - it is home to Stevenson High School and Vernon Hills High School, two award winners.

District 6

Population: 163,173

Breakdown: 86% White, 1% Black, 4% Hispanic, 8% Asian

2008 Result: 52% McCain

Our first and only McCain district. This area has the demographics of District 2. It is white, Christian, and wealthy. The differences that cause the voting discrepancy? This one is considerably more spread out, it is likely less well-educated than District 2 when it comes to post-grad, and although both are Christian districts, this one likely has a higher rate of adherence. Towns included are Lake Forest, Libertyville, Hawthorn Woods, and Barrington. Hawthorn Woods and Libertyville are less well off than LF and Barrington, but still decently well off. It's a solidly Republican area.

District 7

Population: 86,538

Breakdown: 70% White, 5% Black, 14% Hispanic, 9% Asian

2008 Result: 56% Obama

I must admit, these are towns that were tough to place anywhere. Included are Gurnee and Lindenhurst. They are very quickly growing towns. Largely middle to upper-middle class. The area schools have struggled to keep up with growing population. Surrounded on all sides by a minority heavy district to the east, a wealthy white district to the south, a Hispanic district to the west, and a white working class district to the north.

District 8

Population: 173,448

Breakdown: 33% White, 20% Black, 40% Hispanic, 3% Asian

2008 Result: 70% Obama

This district includes Waukegan, Zion, and North Chicago. It is a very diverse district, although the towns are not so much (Hispanic population largely resides in Waukegan, black population in North Chicago and Zion, white population in Winthrop Harbor and parts of Zion). Waukegan has changed considerably over the years - what was a majority-white town with a sizeable black population decades ago has become a popular destination for Hispanics immigrating from Mexico or elsewhere in the US or moving out of the city. This area is solidly Democratic, but you'll notice that our wealthy Jewish district is more Democratic. That surprised me, even though I knew that the wealthy Jewish area was solid D. I thought that this district would at least be a couple percentage points more D.

District 9

Population: 137,990

Breakdown: 67% White, 2% Black, 24% Hispanic, 5% Asian

This district includes Grayslake, Island Lake, and Round Lake. It is a mixture of working class whites and working class Hispanics. The area has seen considerable shifting - throughout the 2000s and persistently, the school districts, particularly in the Grayslake area, have struggled financially and cut large swaths of extracurriculars. This caused an outmigration of many of its residents, causing property values to drop. The area became more working class as a result.

District 10

Population: 297,768

Breakdown: 85% White, 1% Black, 10% Hispanic, 3% Asian

2008 Result: 52% Obama

The theme to this final district is exurban. It includes a number of towns on the perimeter - most of eastern McHenry County and parts of northwest Lake. The area is largely white and middle class. Some describe these areas as having the wealth of suburbs without the education - giving them a solid Republican tint. This district went for Obama, but no doubt went for Romney in 2012. I have not yet commented on which of these districts I would be willing to live in, but I will say that these areas are hell. I have no interest in ever living anywhere in this district.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 12:02:39 AM »

Very nice!
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 12:13:00 AM »

Great start, looking forward to the rest of this.  I'd love to properly visit and explore Chicago someday!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:38:09 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2016, 12:41:03 AM by Green Line »

Awesome work! Please keep it up. No complaints from me yet, but I dont know as much about the north side. Il be sure to leave some passive agressive comments in a later post.

Dont forget district 1 is home to Northwestern University! Our very own Big 10 team
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 12:56:32 AM »

Awesome work! Please keep it up. No complaints from me yet, but I dont know as much about the north side. Il be sure to leave some passive agressive comments in a later post.

Dont forget district 1 is home to Northwestern University! Our very own Big 10 team

You're really killing me, Green Line. Wink
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:12:59 AM »

I have a couple of comments on the recent history.

District 4

Sprawl, sprawl, sprawl. This district is intense with growth over the course of the last 20 years. It includes Schaumburg, Palatine, Arlington Heights, and Mount Prospect. It is a solidly middle class area. Lots of monotonous subdivisions. It's got sizeable Asian and Hispanic populations, suggesting that its white population is decently Republican, which is consistent with many new and sprawly middle class suburbs. Lots of individuals that have worked their way to the middle class and are big on the "pull yourself up" outlook.

District 5

This area is also new and growing but seemingly less sprawly. Strong Asian and Jewish populations exist in this area, although I was admittedly surprised when compiling the map that the Asian population is not near what I thought it was in this area. The district includes Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills, and Lincolnshire. It is essentially a more well-off version of District 4. It is also more Democratic than District 4 (Rockefeller's hear spins again). It's schools are incredible - it is home to Stevenson High School and Vernon Hills High School, two award winners.

I'm not sure how you are categorizing either of these districts as new or recently sprawling. They are both a result of suburban development in the the 1970's and 80's. They have seen the first generation of families grow up and the next generation move in. These areas have been stable or declining in population.

To get an idea of how stable these areas are compare the 2000 to 2010 Census figures.

CountyTownship2000 pop2010 pop%change
CookElk Grove94,96992,905-2.2%
CookPalatine112,740112,994+0.0%
CookSchaumburg134,114131,288-2.1%
CookWheeling155,834153,630-1.4%
LakeVernon65,35567,095+2.7%

The big political shifts took place in the early 90's as those first families moved out and were replaced. The amount and type of demographic replacement accounts for how much the Dem swing has been over the last 20 years. Politically these areas were big for Rauner in 2014.

My other quick comment - where's the love for Des Plaines and Park Ridge in Maine township? They are as much northwest suburbs as Elk Grove township.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 11:43:42 AM »

District 4

District 5

I'm not sure how you are categorizing either of these districts as new or recently sprawling. They are both a result of suburban development in the the 1970's and 80's. They have seen the first generation of families grow up and the next generation move in. These areas have been stable or declining in population.

To get an idea of how stable these areas are compare the 2000 to 2010 Census figures.

The big political shifts took place in the early 90's as those first families moved out and were replaced. The amount and type of demographic replacement accounts for how much the Dem swing has been over the last 20 years. Politically these areas were big for Rauner in 2014.

My other quick comment - where's the love for Des Plaines and Park Ridge in Maine township? They are as much northwest suburbs as Elk Grove township.

To me, "new" was meaning as in the last 20 years, although I didn't realize that the bulk of the growth was in the 90's rather than the early 2000s, but the areas are very new relative to the areas that surround them.

I grew up in Lake County and remember these areas as young, but I suppose that if I remember them as new then most of the growth would have occurred at the time that I lived in the county rather than in the last 5-10 years.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:09:23 PM »

I have the advantage of seeing towns like Schaumburg and Rolling Meadows rise from the cornfields as I grew up in the 1960's and 70's. The construction of the Northwest Tollway (now the Jane Addams I-90) in the late 50's and early 60's opened the door to development. The boom really took off after Woodfield Mall was built in 1971. My cousins followed that path to go from established Des Plaines to remote Lake in the Hills in McHenry county, and we drove through a lot of open space to visit them. By 1990 it was largely built out.

The area may look new compared to the early 20th century homes nearer the lake, but compared to today's large lot exurbs or teardown neighborhoods the area is actually quite old (or maybe I'm younger than I think Smiley ).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »

I have the advantage of seeing towns like Schaumburg and Rolling Meadows rise from the cornfields as I grew up in the 1960's and 70's. The construction of the Northwest Tollway (now the Jane Addams I-90) in the late 50's and early 60's opened the door to development. The boom really took off after Woodfield Mall was built in 1971. My cousins followed that path to go from established Des Plaines to remote Lake in the Hills in McHenry county, and we drove through a lot of open space to visit them. By 1990 it was largely built out.

The area may look new compared to the early 20th century homes nearer the lake, but compared to today's large lot exurbs or teardown neighborhoods the area is actually quite old (or maybe I'm younger than I think Smiley ).

Yes, you are young. I remember in 1971 going up to Park Ridge, with a group from college, to see the movie Sunday Bloody Sunday. It was an experience that I will never forget, because one of the guys had a black girl friend, and the stares we got were just killingly hostile. And then when the two men kissed in the movie, there was a gasp in the theatre, and half the audience walked out. We all concluded that Chicago suburbs were horrible places, filled with horrible people, and to be avoided at all costs, unless it was Evanston. BRTD back then was absolutely right! Smiley
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 12:31:48 PM »

You're really killing me, Green Line. Wink
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 01:21:22 PM »

I thought that was Notre Dame.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 02:27:06 AM »

Notre Dame is Chicago's team as far as I'm concerned.  But I still respect Northwestern, maybe it's the Northside affecting me. Sad
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »

Notre Dame is Chicago's team as far as I'm concerned.  But I still respect Northwestern, maybe it's the Northside affecting me. Sad

Wisconsin Badgers are Northern Illinois'/Lake County's Big Ten Team
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 09:29:38 PM »

Wisconsin Badgers are Northern Illinois'/Lake County's Big Ten Team

I was going to make a claim that areas closer to the Mississippi River would be Iowa and Missouri fans, and in the south UK fans - but it turns out that it is actually true. It is interesting that support for Indiana football is so weak and localized.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 11:02:39 PM »

This is a common belief, but it's not true, IMO.  I recall a fan poll from a few years ago that had Illinois as the most popular team at about 31%, Notre Dame in second at 21% and Northwestern at like 11%; the remaining 37% was split among other teams.  Illini fans have had to deal with terrible football, so they're obviously going to be less vocal and wear their stuff less often than a good team like Notre Dame (and the map that the NYT made, which is based off of Facebook likes, HEAVILY leans toward teams that are doing well when the map is made ... for example, I will tell you for a fact that Illini fans outnumber Badgers fans in Rockford, IL and Gophers fans outnumber Badgers fans in MINNEAPOLIS, LOL), but they're clearly the plurality.  UI has over 220,000 alumni in the Chicago area, the next closest school is barely over 100,000.  When Illinois is good, the city gets behind them like no other team (see 2005 basketball).  I'll leave you with this gorgeous gem:

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 05:16:56 PM »

This is a common belief, but it's not true, IMO.  I recall a fan poll from a few years ago that had Illinois as the most popular team at about 31%, Notre Dame in second at 21% and Northwestern at like 11%; the remaining 37% was split among other teams.  Illini fans have had to deal with terrible football, so they're obviously going to be less vocal and wear their stuff less often than a good team like Notre Dame (and the map that the NYT made, which is based off of Facebook likes, HEAVILY leans toward teams that are doing well when the map is made ... for example, I will tell you for a fact that Illini fans outnumber Badgers fans in Rockford, IL and Gophers fans outnumber Badgers fans in MINNEAPOLIS, LOL), but they're clearly the plurality.  UI has over 220,000 alumni in the Chicago area, the next closest school is barely over 100,000.  When Illinois is good, the city gets behind them like no other team (see 2005 basketball).  I'll leave you with this gorgeous gem:

Despite my bias, this obviously holds merit. I remember in 2005 when Illinois basketball went to the national championship. The entire city rallied around the team. You just didn't get anything like that when Notre Dame football went to the national championship three years ago.

However, Notre Dame being more consistently good gives the appearance that they own the city. When the Illini are bad the fans stay quiet and focus on professional sports.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »

Well, Notre Dame holds the southwest side!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 05:57:21 PM »

Well, Notre Dame holds the southwest side!

That's most certainly true.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »

District 4

District 5

Didn't they start swinging Democrat due to Clinton and social liberalism?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 09:44:40 PM »

District 4

District 5

It's not as if the GOP of the 1990s was THAT much more conservative than the GOP of the 1980s...  Sure, some suburbanites have defected over "culture war" type stuff in the past 2 decades, but I think the diversifying of the places we tend to still incorrectly think of as those same suburbs was a much bigger factor in suburbs becoming purple.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 06:17:31 PM »

District 4

District 5

It's not as if the GOP of the 1990s was THAT much more conservative than the GOP of the 1980s...  Sure, some suburbanites have defected over "culture war" type stuff in the past 2 decades, but I think the diversifying of the places we tend to still incorrectly think of as those same suburbs was a much bigger factor in suburbs becoming purple.

Suburban whites have no doubt moved to the left consistently since the 1980's. I think the prominence of cultural issues (and the polarization of the parties on them) has a lot to do with it.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 06:37:17 PM »

District 4

District 5

Suburban whites have no doubt moved to the left consistently since the 1980's. I think the prominence of cultural issues (and the polarization of the parties on them) has a lot to do with it.

Of course they have, but looking at your own wonderfully done and informative election maps of Chicagoland, the rich, White areas are still largely Republican.  Does being religious help?  Of course.  But my point is it's not as if academics voted for the Republican Party in the 1980s, and Jews weren't voting Republican in the 1980s and Hispanics weren't voting Republican in the 1980s, etc., but these groups were much smaller slices of the pie than they were in the 1980s.  Combine that fact with some defecting over cultural stuff, and you've got purple (and in Obama's case, blue) suburbs ... but it's certainly not as simple as "social issues."  I mean how many Republicans in Lake Forest give a rat's ass about gay marriage?  Haha.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 08:49:11 PM »

Whenever I'm in Chicago, even if it's just passing through O'Hare or Midway, I always marvel at all the people wearing shirts from all the different (mostly Big Ten) schools. In turn I always try to have a Maryland shirt handy.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2016, 12:37:40 PM by Mr. Illini »

District 4

District 5

It's not as if the GOP of the 1990s was THAT much more conservative than the GOP of the 1980s...  Sure, some suburbanites have defected over "culture war" type stuff in the past 2 decades, but I think the diversifying of the places we tend to still incorrectly think of as those same suburbs was a much bigger factor in suburbs becoming purple.

Of course they have, but looking at your own wonderfully done and informative election maps of Chicagoland, the rich, White areas are still largely Republican.  Does being religious help?  Of course.  But my point is it's not as if academics voted for the Republican Party in the 1980s, and Jews weren't voting Republican in the 1980s and Hispanics weren't voting Republican in the 1980s, etc., but these groups were much smaller slices of the pie than they were in the 1980s.  Combine that fact with some defecting over cultural stuff, and you've got purple (and in Obama's case, blue) suburbs ... but it's certainly not as simple as "social issues."  I mean how many Republicans in Lake Forest give a rat's ass about gay marriage?  Haha.

I can guarantee you that the wealthy white Christian districts that I drew were voting considerably more Republican 20-30 years ago than they are today. Yes, minority populations in Lake County have grown, but the margin in the county is still close (Obama won 53-45 in '12, Rauner won the county handily).

If these areas were voting anywhere near as Republican as they were a few decades ago, the county would still be solid R.

And as someone who grew up in a wealthy Republican-leaning town in Chicago's northern suburbs, I would say people care more about gay marriage and other social issues than you are letting on. I can't speak for other metro areas, but Chicago's wealthy suburbs are as a whole to the left of the country on those 'social' issues and while many people in the area still vote GOP for money issues (hence the Republican bent), it has forced many (particularly women and younger voters in the area) out of the party (hence the narrower margins and occasional Democratic victory in these towns).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies