Question for Republicans that are against affirmative action?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:45:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Question for Republicans that are against affirmative action?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Republicans that are against affirmative action?  (Read 963 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2005, 12:33:25 PM »

Why do you then make such a big deal out of race when the Democrats opposed Rice, Gonzales and oppose Owens now? This is the biggest hypocrisy I've ever seen from the Republicans, and since I'm against race-based affirmative anyway, it seems even more ridiculous to me.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 12:39:26 PM »

Why do you then make such a big deal out of race when the Democrats opposed Rice, Gonzales and oppose Owens now? This is the biggest hypocrisy I've ever seen from the Republicans, and since I'm against race-based affirmative anyway, it seems even more ridiculous to me.

Largely because the other party claims to be the party of Black people and Hispanic people.  The claim is that only a certain type of Black/Hispanic people are acceptable for the Democrats and that they are really more concerned with ideology than race/ethnic origin.

(I would argue that both parties are more concerned with ideology than than race/ethnic origin.)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 12:42:11 PM »

well yes, being more concerned with qualifications and ideology rather than race is exactly the opposite of affirmative action.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 01:15:17 PM »

When you claim one of your party's goals s to advance minorities into positions of power, its hypcritical to launch almost universally baseless attacks on minorities when they aren't Democrats (Or as many said of Clarence Thomas, not black enough to be conisdered black becaus ehe wasn't a Democrat.  After 150 years Democrats still want to keep those ns on the plantation I guess.).
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 01:16:24 PM »

I didn't. I specifically said it was stupid to make a race issue out of it, though I imagine half of it was just the fun of emulating the Democrats.

Also, the Dems can vote against anyone they want, and I won't complain. It's just the filibustering that has to stop.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 08:22:38 AM »

Because if the Democrats actually believed in affirmative action like they say, they will not oppose the nominations.  This is hypocracy.  I advocate those people for their skills; Democrats should support them for their skin color.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies