GOP Manages to Repeal Obamacare-Obama to veto repeal bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:05:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP Manages to Repeal Obamacare-Obama to veto repeal bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GOP Manages to Repeal Obamacare-Obama to veto repeal bill  (Read 4521 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/politics/house-obamacare-repeal-planned-parenthood/index.html
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:19:38 PM »

House roll call was party-line except for Hanna, Katko, and Dold voting for and Petersen against.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 08:28:21 PM »

As much as I would love to see Obamacare replaced, there's no way it's happening as long as Obama or any other Democrat is president.  What a joke.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »

Complete repeal is political suicide, which is why if they get the presidency and actually do it, we're taking back Congress in 2018. Kicking 30 million people off health insurance is such a pro-life policy.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:16:27 PM »

Also noteworthy is that the bill also defunds Planned Parenthood.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:11:25 AM »

Seriously?? All the money they have spent on this witch hunt is ridiculous.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 11:04:50 AM »

Seriously?? All the money they have spent on this witch hunt is ridiculous.

Money spent on repeal pales in comparison to the trillions spent on a fundamentally broken approach to public healthcare programs. Medicaid is the worst insurance in the developed world. Obamacare drives up premiums with regulations, which forces us to pay for more subsidies. The employer tax benefit drives up spending like nobody's business. Medicare runs on a model built for the 1960's, long-term job-based retirement health benefits and all. Broken from top to bottom and costing us over a trillion dollars every year.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 12:02:36 PM »

I looked up how much it would cost for me to get health care through Obama care...325 a month. that isn't very  affordable...
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »

They're going to use this as a campaign issue for the presidential election to rile up the Republican base (and any Independents who don't like the ACA).

i.e. "If you want to see Obamacare dismantled, put a Republican in the White House! See what a difference who the President is makes?"

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:48:20 PM »

House roll call was party-line except for Hanna, Katko, and Dold voting foragainst and Petersen againstfor.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »

Shameful. Further proof, however, that the only way to end the GOP's anti-life, hateful, elitist ways are to open up re-education camps and forcefully place the most dangerous individuals in them.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 01:53:05 PM »

I looked up how much it would cost for me to get health care through Obama care...325 a month. that isn't very  affordable...

Wut
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »

Is it just me, or is repealing Obamacare without at the same time replacing it with something else, just facially highly irresponsible?  Surely the repeal advocates don't want to just have nothing in its place, do they? Politicians who do this sort of thing should be punished. I don't like it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 05:01:05 PM »

Is it just me, or is repealing Obamacare without at the same time replacing it with something else, just facially highly irresponsible?  Surely the repeal advocates don't want to just have nothing in its place, do they? Politicians who do this sort of thing should be punished. I don't like it.

Oh loook! After 6 years Torie took notice that the Republicans actually don't have an alternative to Obamacare.
Congratulations old chap! Better late than never.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 05:38:52 PM »

Is it just me, or is repealing Obamacare without at the same time replacing it with something else, just facially highly irresponsible?  Surely the repeal advocates don't want to just have nothing in its place, do they? Politicians who do this sort of thing should be punished. I don't like it.

Well it's theatre. They know Obama is going to veto it unless he becomes senile or something, but they have to throw something to their rabid wing. I assume if a GOPher enters the White House, they will be less cavalier in their attempts to wholesale abolish the Act.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »

Shocking.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 05:51:59 PM »

Well it's theatre. They know Obama is going to veto it unless he becomes senile or something, but they have to throw something to their rabid wing. I assume if a GOPher enters the White House, they will be less cavalier in their attempts to wholesale abolish the Act.

You are way too kind to the GOP's reasoning ability on this given everything we've seen over the past six years.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 01:02:17 AM »

Wut

Yea, that's what I said.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 08:06:11 AM »

Wut

Yea, that's what I said.

I don't think you understood my incredulity. Exactly how cheap does something have to be to qualify as "affordable" to you?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 08:43:55 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2016, 03:38:54 PM by Torie »

Is it just me, or is repealing Obamacare without at the same time replacing it with something else, just facially highly irresponsible?  Surely the repeal advocates don't want to just have nothing in its place, do they? Politicians who do this sort of thing should be punished. I don't like it.

Oh loook! After 6 years Torie took notice that the Republicans actually don't have an alternative to Obamacare.
Congratulations old chap! Better late than never.

Well, that is a rather mixed "compliment" I must say. Actually, various Pubs have had various alternatives, but of course for something so complicated involving tough choices, they were unable to agree on much except at the margins. And none of the Pub plans were remotely sufficient in fashioning an adequate system for the impecunious. I had my own plan that was more comprehensive, and in some ways, more liberal than Obamacare, because to me medical subsidies should be paid out of general tax revenues, on a means tested basis. As is typically the case, where there is no yellow brick road freeway going directly to Oz, but rather a circuitous and expensive tollway, politicians tend not to map out the bad news in the public square until they really have to. Ryan actually is making more progress here now. Whether it is actually better than  Obamacare, I don't know. I have not studied it enough, or thought about it enough, and right now, don't remember the details too well.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »

Nice try, Ryan, but no:

Obama Vetoes Obamacare Repeal Bill, Obviously - http://huff.to/1PTiHR2
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »

I hope they send him another 1000 repeal bills so that he can print them out and burn them in the Rose Garden. National television broadcast.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »

Also noteworthy is that the bill also defunds Planned Parenthood.

At this point I'm pretty sure every bill that comes out of Congress defunds Planned Parenthood.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »

The GOP should send him an acrostic bill that repeals Obamacare via code, and see if he accidentally signs it.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 12:47:00 AM »

This needs to be done around Halloween time.  Keep it fresh in the voters' minds.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies