Rare Election Night Find on YT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:21:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Rare Election Night Find on YT
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rare Election Night Find on YT  (Read 1616 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:28:17 PM »
« edited: January 06, 2016, 09:56:23 PM by Dancing with Myself »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vjD0d8D9Ec

I found this earlier while nerding out on You Tube. TBH I'm jealous I didn't upload this as I found a seller that had it but I was afraid the 10 bucks for this wasn't worth it. But it looks to be so.

This is 30 or so minutes from CBS's 1952 coverage in the first real election night when it comes to projections. Cronkite is extremely young here and isn't Cronkite yet.  This is just what is left from the archives.

But it's glorious none the less.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 09:40:05 PM »

Just imagine working the desk back then, having to get all the results in and update...
DS0816
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 09:41:25 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vjD0d8D9Ec

I found this earlier while nerding out on You Tube. TBH I'm jelous I didn't upload this as I found a seller that had it but I was afraid the 10 bucks for this wasn't worth it. But it looks to be so.

This is 30 or so minutes from CBS's 1952 coverage in the first real election night when it comes to rejections. Cronkite is extremely young here and isn't Cronkite yet.  This is just what is left from the archives.

But it's glorious none the less.

Thank you the alert!

It's appreciated (by me).
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 10:24:46 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2016, 12:56:21 PM by Dancing with Myself »

I'd still love to see what's left from 48 or 56. I seen what NBC put up form 1948 but I'm sure there is more somewhere, and maybe some from CBS perhaps.  56 exists because there is a 1 min clip on You Tube, it's in CBS's Archives probably.

My main holy grail still is NBC's 76 coverage as well as anything from 64.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 10:54:07 PM »

It sounds like Cronkite is saying America will be electing its "35th President"... what happened?
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 04:28:07 PM »

"It takes 266 electoral votes to win the presidency."

What a gem.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 04:50:07 PM »

Just finished watching it and wow. This must have been a short 30 min highlight film but it's a nice find none the less. I believe the Paley center in NY has the main copy.

The main thing I was amazed by was the victory/concession speeches. There were no overdone spectacle they talked in front of their supporters. Ike had a freaking dinner suit with a bowtie on, that's old school pimp there. He made no grand promises besides saying he is thankful and proud of the trust we all put in him and he would work hard. That's how it's supposed to be done. Stevenson came off to me at least as kind of bitter. The crowd booed a little too, how silly.

Coverage wise it's amazing how primitive it looks but that was so advanced for 52. Like one of the anchors said: "In 1948 TV was promoting radio's election style, but in 1952 TV is promoting TV's style." That map was ugly but funny none the less.

If you thought 1952 was crazy I need to put up my CBS 1960 coverage if I can find it. It had guys in tux's walking around the studio left and right, crazy.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »

Huh. I always thought that Harold Stassen pronounced his name with an "A" sound like StAten Island, but they say it as "Stawsen."
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 08:19:45 PM »

Huh. I always thought that Harold Stassen pronounced his name with an "A" sound like StAten Island, but they say it as "Stawsen."
That's just the way journalists talk.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 09:04:50 PM »

so awesome. thanks for posting Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 09:44:24 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2016, 10:02:55 PM by True Federalist »

What I remember most is that the UNIVAC they were using came up with a reasonably close estimate of the outcome, but it wasn't what people were expecting so they ignored what it was spitting out and gave it different data so it would produce results more to their liking.  I wonder if the grandkids of those who ran it were working for Romney in 2012.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 09:46:13 AM »

What I remember most is that the UNIVAC they were using came up with a reasonably close estimate of the outcome, but it wasn't what people were expecting so they ignored what it was spitting out and gave it different data so it would produce results more to their liking.  I wonder if the grandkids of those who ran it were working for Romney in 2012.
I wonder if they were working for all the networks in 2000, or in the last two elections, when they called states way too early based purely on exit polls.
Adam the Gr8
AM33
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.70

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 03:19:03 PM »

That's amazing, I didn't think they showed EV maps until 1968.
DS0816
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 05:24:16 AM »

I'd still love to see what's left from 48 or 56. I seen what NBC put up form 1948 but I'm sure there is more somewhere, and maybe some from CBS perhaps.  56 exists because there is a 1 min clip on You Tube, it's in CBS's Archives probably.

My main holy grail still is NBC's 76 coverage as well as anything from 64.

That was in 2009.

NBC's news site had posted videos of Election Night coverage from a few select election of the past. Not all were just about Election Night. Some were documentary-like footage. Some had just brief moments of Election Night coverage. They were mostly for a historical perspective in Taking a Look Back.

1964 is the election I most want to see just for the uncommon electoral map.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies