2018 Tennessee Gubernatorial Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:14:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Tennessee Gubernatorial Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2018 Tennessee Gubernatorial Election  (Read 8367 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2016, 05:05:36 PM »

Who's running? Who's gonna win? Corker? Carr?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »

Roll Call was pushing a Corker/Haslam job switch a while ago, but now that Corker's in the majority, its probably somewhat less likely.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »

Would a Harold Ford, Jr./Mary Mancini ticket be remotely strong? Or is Jim Cooper the only Democrat who could win statewide?
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:59:55 PM »

Would a Harold Ford, Jr./Mary Mancini ticket be remotely strong? Or is Jim Cooper the only Democrat who could win statewide?

lol
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:04:26 PM »

lol
Jim cooper's district could be potentially vulnerable if they have a good republican running. i think they'll have him stay there
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 11:34:57 PM »

1. Tennessee doesn't elect its lieutenant governor.
2. No.
3. No Democrat can win statewide at the moment.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 01:59:22 AM »

I think that Bill Haslam will br THE most sane and reasonable governor of Tennessee for a long time to come... 3 or 4 next one will be Republican too, but - much more conservative...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 05:02:21 AM »

Would a Harold Ford, Jr./Mary Mancini ticket be remotely strong?

Why are you doing this?

I think that Bill Haslam will br THE most sane and reasonable governor of Tennessee for a long time to come... 3 or 4 next one will be Republican too, but - much more conservative...

Statewide elected TN Republicans have always been as close to "establishment"/generic R as you can get (Haslam, Corker, Alexander, Frist, Thompson, ...)

I know that. But doubt that will be so in the future. Too much open right-wingers in Congressional delegation and Legislature.. Haslam and Alexander are "the best" of those you mentioned in my opinion, but first is routinely attacked and second was heavily primaried from the right..
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 03:00:21 PM »

Also, to answer the OP's question about potential candidates, I've seen speculation that state House Speaker Beth Harwell may run. If elected, I believe she'd be the first female governor in Tennessee's history.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »

Would a Harold Ford, Jr./Mary Mancini ticket be remotely strong?

Why are you doing this?

Statewide elected TN Republicans have always been as close to "establishment"/generic R as you can get (Haslam, Corker, Alexander, Frist, Thompson, ...)

I know that. But doubt that will be so in the future. Too much open right-wingers in Congressional delegation and Legislature.. Haslam and Alexander are "the best" of those you mentioned in my opinion, but first is routinely attacked and second was heavily primaried from the right..

Mark Clayton was probably to the right of Corker on many issues, too. It's a shame that the national Democratic party abandoned and ignored him.

Don't know about that ... the death of the "archetypal Southern Democrat" was a symbolic cleansing of one of our nation's biggest embarrassments. Wink
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »

Maybe Blackburn, Ramsey, Corker, Harwell, or Hargett?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 12:18:58 AM »

IIRC, wuth exception of Corker - all belong to ultra-right camp?
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 03:48:17 PM »

I believe Harwell and Hargett are mainstream conservatives. Ramsey and Blackburn are nuttier.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 07:29:24 PM »

In all seriousness, I'm going to look into Randy McNally. If he seems remotely moderate, I would gladly go a bit east to work on a gubernatorial campaign for such an interesting person.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »

For the Democrats: Former Nashville mayor Karl Dean should run, he seems electable. Maybe Former Tennessee congressman Lincoln Davis should run too.

For the Republicans: Bob Corker, maybe Marsha Blackburn, maybe Steve Fincher may run for governor in 2018.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 12:56:59 AM »

I believe Harwell and Hargett are mainstream conservatives. Ramsey and Blackburn are nuttier.

Thanks! Mainstream conservative is, probably, the best what realisticaly can be expected in Tennessee now.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 05:39:05 PM »

lol
Jim cooper's district could be potentially vulnerable if they have a good republican running. i think they'll have him stay there

Under the current lines, even Obama solidly won Cooper's district.  Even in an open seat race, the current TN-05 would be likely Dem.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 12:58:56 AM »

I guess Democrats need to put someone up in case a crazy person wins the nomination.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 05:31:50 PM »

Shelby County Mayor Mark Luttrell(R) First Lady's Guest for SOTU
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It sounds like he's trying to get support and test the waters for a run to me.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 07:03:03 PM »

lol

Under the current lines, even Obama solidly won Cooper's district.  Even in an open seat race, the current TN-05 would be likely Dem.

It's only D+5.  If it were an open seat and the GOP got a country music star (it's Nashville, after all), they would have a good chance.  Even if this doesn't happen, I expect that it will be divided between the surrounding districts (maybe the 4th, 6th, and 7th), along with a new 5th.  They would all be pretty safe.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 09:37:31 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2016, 09:44:03 PM by Mr.Phips »

lol

Under the current lines, even Obama solidly won Cooper's district.  Even in an open seat race, the current TN-05 would be likely Dem.

It's only D+5.  If it were an open seat and the GOP got a country music star (it's Nashville, after all), they would have a good chance.  Even if this doesn't happen, I expect that it will be divided between the surrounding districts (maybe the 4th, 6th, and 7th), along with a new 5th.  They would all be pretty safe.

D+5 in the South is much different than D+5 in NY or MA.  The voters that make this kind of seat Dem are pretty inelastic in their voting habits.  D+5 in Tennessee is equivalent to R+5 in a state like California, which is pretty safe for Republicans in any scenario.

Even Lamar Alexander only barely carried this district in his 2014 Senate race that he won by over 30 points.

Obviously if this seat is cracked among the 4th, 6th , and 7th, Republicans will pick it up.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 10:39:33 PM »

Shelby County Mayor Mark Luttrell(R) First Lady's Guest for SOTU
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It sounds like he's trying to get support and test the waters for a run to me.

Hick last name; won't win against a qualified, competent alternative with a proper last name.

Remember: this is the land of Haslam, Bredesen, Sundquist, Frist and Alexander.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »

lol

Under the current lines, even Obama solidly won Cooper's district.  Even in an open seat race, the current TN-05 would be likely Dem.

It's only D+5.  If it were an open seat and the GOP got a country music star (it's Nashville, after all), they would have a good chance.  Even if this doesn't happen, I expect that it will be divided between the surrounding districts (maybe the 4th, 6th, and 7th), along with a new 5th.  They would all be pretty safe.

D+5 in the South is much different than D+5 in NY or MA.  The voters that make this kind of seat Dem are pretty inelastic in their voting habits.  D+5 in Tennessee is equivalent to R+5 in a state like California, which is pretty safe for Republicans in any scenario.

Even Lamar Alexander only barely carried this district in his 2014 Senate race that he won by over 30 points.

Obviously if this seat is cracked among the 4th, 6th , and 7th, Republicans will pick it up.
So what exactly makes these voters so inelastic compared to the kind of voters that elected Robert Dold twice in a D+8 district in Illinois?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 05:56:14 PM »

lol

So what exactly makes these voters so inelastic compared to the kind of voters that elected Robert Dold twice in a D+8 district in Illinois?

The voters that elected Dold were socially moderate, but fiscally conservative white suburbanites.

The Dem base in TN-05 is made up of minorities and academic type liberals that are basically unswingable in their voting behavior.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies