How did DE and MO stopped being swing states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:17:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How did DE and MO stopped being swing states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did DE and MO stopped being swing states?  (Read 1232 times)
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2016, 05:12:02 PM »

The question above.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:35:23 PM »

The parties switched platforms. /troll

But for real it was the result of broader national trends.  DE, like NJ and CT, is a very suburban state.  When Northern suburbs started trending to the Democrats, these places experienced a large swing over into that column.  Meanwhile, the culturally Southern and Appalachian parts of MO trended Republican, allowing the suburbs to outvote the cities.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »

There are large city populations that comprise most of their population and they have fairly high minority populations that have increased recently.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 08:05:01 PM »

When in the 20th Century did Delaware become so suburban?  I mean it clearly had a rural, Southern heritage long ago.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »

Social issues, pure and simple.  But I think it's too early to say that Missouri has lost its swing state status.  Delaware probably has, though.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:48:17 AM »

When in the 20th Century did Delaware become so suburban?  I mean it clearly had a rural, Southern heritage long ago.
Not just suburban but urban. Republicans easily win the one rural county, but struggle for the suburban one, and by then it doesn't matter because there's an urban city with dover...
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »

1. white flight
2. obama administration
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 11:32:09 AM »

Not just suburban but urban. Republicans easily win the one rural county, but struggle for the suburban one, and by then it doesn't matter because there's an urban city with dover...

The major city of Delaware is Wilmington, not Dover.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »

And the area around Dover is pretty swingy, even if the city itself isn't
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 12:48:33 AM »

Compare the parties now to 30 years ago and that's why.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 12:49:15 PM »

Explain what you mean; this is an incredibly lazy answer. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not a college-aged "parties switched" moron who hasn't done his own research. Wink
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 10:19:46 PM »

Explain what you mean; this is an incredibly lazy answer. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not a college-aged "parties switched" moron who hasn't done his own research. Wink

I appreciate the benefit of the doubt Rockefeller.  If you look as far back as 1952 you can see Stevenson, then Kennedy, and even Humphrey as much further to the right than their contemporary counterparts of Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Dennis Kucinich, etc.  Just before then you had Thomas Dewey a liberal Republican who had accepted parts of the New Deal.  Nixon, Eisenhower, Ford, Rockefeller, Scranton, Romney, and to an extent Bush Sr. represented the Northeastern liberal Republicans.  There was Nixon's quote of "we're all Keynesians now."  However, something started in 1964 that took half a generation to come to fruition and the groundwork began with Barry Goldwater.  He was strong on states' rights which appealed to the deep south.  It grew from there into an idea of limited federal government not only on social matters, but also economic matters which he and Reagan were very supportive of.  Reagan has long been held as the conservative prophet who took it above and beyond.  At the beginning of his presidency you still had your moderates such as John Anderson, Bob Dole, Bush Sr., but by the end of his presidency people like Pat Robertson were taking the stage.  Social and economic issues have driven them to the right. 

Now as for the Democrats, there Kennedy's famous quote of "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."  He also lowered tax brackets.  In those days you had your segregationists and your states' rights Democrats such as Stevenson and Wallace as well.  The Civil Rights Acts and expansion of redistribution of the wealth really took off under the Johnson administration though.  The hippy movement cast a negative light on such ideology, but by the 90's when the hippies had grown up, it wasn't as laughable as it had been half a generation before.  Now today's Democrats are a bunch of old hippies, atheists, free loaders, drug addicts, uninformed college students, single mothers, and minorities.  They've fallen far from the days of Kennedy to Hillary Clinton actually telling voters to ask themselves "what's in it for me?"  Obama is the new face of the left which is openly trying to "fundamentally transform" the US to quote the mentioned person.  I have to ask the elected president what's so bad about our great nation that it has to fundamentally transform?

In order to fundamentally transform something, you must transform it's foundation first.  For the US it's our inalienable rights endowed by our Creator.  Creator is capitalized because it refers to a deity.  Let me remind our college age hacks on here that freedom of religion doesn't mean freedom from religion.  Your right to be an atheist isn't part of our rights in that regard.  In 2012,  the word "God" I don't believe was mentioned once throughout the DNC.  This will only get worse.  Their first attempt at fundamentally transform the US is getting rid of religion and any idea of God.  Once that's done we are fundamentally transformed.  Eventually there will be a generation of people who aren't taught in public schools that we were once a nation of religion and freedoms.  For now the left's higher power is Obama but it will only become more intrusive as more Democrats greedy for hunger and power infest our freedoms with notions of Obamacare and global warming.  This is only the beginning.  They've got the power and we have the numbers.  Sometimes I wonder how much better we'd be if the Democrats were on board for fighting terror instead of God and American values.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »

Now today's Democrats are a bunch of old hippies, atheists, free loaders, drug addicts, uninformed college students, single mothers, and minorities

Really? Are you kidding me? So all Democrats are basically uninformed/stupid, minorities and/or failures? No wonder people want(ed) you banned. You're nothing but some asshole GOP-supremacist who thinks everyone who disagrees with you on politics is trash.

It's funny, I came here specifically because I was looking for decent political discussions and not insanely biased partisan hate. And yet, here you are.
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 11:04:10 PM »

Now today's Democrats are a bunch of old hippies, atheists, free loaders, drug addicts, uninformed college students, single mothers, and minorities

Really? Are you kidding me? So all Democrats are basically uninformed/stupid, minorities and/or failures? No wonder people want(ed) you banned. You're nothing but some asshole GOP-supremacist who thinks everyone who disagrees with you on politics is trash.

It's funny, I came here specifically because I was looking for decent political discussions and not insanely biased partisan hate. And yet, here you are.

I don't see it that way, but I'm always up for calm discussions.  Let's start over.  What makes you a Democrat?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies