What happens if?.......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:02:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What happens if?.......
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happens if?.......  (Read 979 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:36:04 PM »

A candidate who is under the age to be a congressman wins the general election, same with senator, governor, president?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:13:24 PM »

A candidate who is under the age to be a congressman wins the general election, same with senator, governor, president?

For non-President situations, that person is ineligible to take office and the election creates a vacancy, with a special election immediately scheduled to fill the vacancy. For President, the Vice President-Elect would take office the moment the previous term expired, and would stay President until the originally elected candidate for President comes of age (so possibly for the rest of the term).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »

For non-President situations, that person is ineligible to take office and the election creates a vacancy, with a special election immediately scheduled to fill the vacancy. For President, the Vice President-Elect would take office the moment the previous term expired, and would stay President until the originally elected candidate for President comes of age (so possibly for the rest of the term).

That's if we assume the electors went with the underage person. It's more likely that the electors would scatter their votes among a number of random other people from the same party, throwing the election to the house of representatives. As much as some states try to "punish" electors for "breaking their pledges", they can't stop them from casting a vote for some other individual.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:51 PM »

I've often wondered what would actually happen if an underage, but otherwise Constitutionally eligible, candidate for President was elected.  IIRC, underage candidates for President have been able to gain ballot access before in some states, so it might be possible.  Imagine, tens of millions of Americans voting for the winning candidate in a national election, and the Congress is going to deny that candidate office?  Mass chaos.  Riots in the streets.  It'd be something to see.  In such a scenario, I can easily see some Constitutional rule-bending happening in order to maintain faith in the democratic process.

As for the question about Congressional races, both the House and Senate have been able to seat underage members before (the mostly notable of which being Henry Clay, who was 29 years old when he first entered the Senate in 1810) due to the fact that, per Section 5 of Article I of the USC, each House is the ultimate judge of the qualifications of its members.  Either house of Congress could seat underage members if they wanted to. 
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:25:28 PM »

I've often wondered what would actually happen if an underage, but otherwise Constitutionally eligible, candidate for President was elected.  IIRC, underage candidates for President have been able to gain ballot access before in some states, so it might be possible.  Imagine, tens of millions of Americans voting for the winning candidate in a national election, and the Congress is going to deny that candidate office?  Mass chaos.  Riots in the streets.  It'd be something to see.  In such a scenario, I can easily see some Constitutional rule-bending happening in order to maintain faith in the democratic process.

As for the question about Congressional races, both the House and Senate have been able to seat underage members before (the mostly notable of which being Henry Clay, who was 29 years old when he first entered the Senate in 1810) due to the fact that, per Section 5 of Article I of the USC, each House is the ultimate judge of the qualifications of its members.  Either house of Congress could seat underage members if they wanted to. 

So technically, me being underage could run for a congressional seat?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 04:43:13 PM »

So technically, me being underage could run for a congressional seat?

Would have to check TN law.  Its quite possible that ballot access in the state is restricted to "Constitutionally eligible" candidates; in Mississippi it is.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies