Christianity and Homosexuality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:57:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christianity and Homosexuality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Christianity and Homosexuality  (Read 6949 times)
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2016, 11:54:41 PM »

And the Bible is clear that no practicing homosexual will enter the kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:9).  If one takes the Bible seriously, then allowing gays as ministers is a sign of a church that does not take the full counsel of God seriously. 
I'll point out in passing that the meaning of arsenokoites as used by Paul in 1 Corinthians and Deutero-Paul in 1 Timothy is questionable, and has historically has not always been interpreted as a generic homosexual.  I say in passing because frankly, if one holds that the Bible is inerrant and that its teachings are immutable, then Leviticus alone provides a fairly clear place to decide upon it.  That said, I'm not one of those who treat the Bible as a fourth member of the Trinity.

There's still Jude 1:5-8 and Romans 1:26-28.

Jude 1?  You've got to be kidding me.  You do realize that linking Sodom exclusively to homosexuality was not something that happened in the 1st century.  Indeed, for a number of languages today the primary meaning of "sodomy" is bestiality. All one can infer from the text alone is don't engage in unnatural sex, but it leaves the interpretation of unnatural very much in the air.  Romans 1 suffers from the same problem as its presumed blanket condemnation of homosexuality hinges upon the presumption that procreative heterosexual sex is the only "natural use".  The only solid prescription of homosexuality to be found in the Bible is in Leviticus.
Jesus also says multiple times that a man will come of age when it is time to marry a woman.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2016, 12:14:57 AM »

Jesus also says multiple times that a man will come of age when it is time to marry a woman.
You do realize that the synoptic gospels are mainly retellings of the same stories from two or three different emphases, don't you?  Matthew 19:1-12 and Mark 12 are two versions of the same teaching on divorce.  Considering the primary point of that tale, if fundamentalists use that passage to condemn the mote of homosexuality, they really ought to be tackling the log of divorce as well. Yet during the now concluded political debate on SSM, I never heard a word about rolling back the permissive divorce laws available in this country or elsewhere.  For a movement that claims that the entire Bible is a unified and inerrant whole, fundamentalism is awfully selective in what it seeks to target.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2016, 05:50:10 PM »

I grew up in a Disciples of Christ Church, which theologically is pretty liberal but politically our church was solidly republican. Homosexuality was never discussed, although I would assume that the church would be majority opposed, if only because it skewed older.
Swedge
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2016, 12:03:16 PM »

Just because someone may be seen as un-christian in the eyes of the church today doesn't mean they are not Christian in their own beliefs.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2016, 08:47:04 PM by Unbiased »

Temptation and thoughts are certainly not an inherent sin, but the consensus remains among most church bodies that being openly homosexual and engaging in the actions is a sin and by refusing to repent you repeatedly deny God. The catholic and evangelical churches continue to support traditional beliefs, while mainline protestant churches support it. Interestingly enough, evangelical churches are growing and mainline churches are shrinking.  
Two Questions:
1. Can you be a "gay" christian?
2. Are mainline churches' progressive stances turning away members?

Sex is only not a sin when it happens between a man and a woman who are married to each other and it is there first marriage unless their previous partner has died.
People who choose to lead a sexual lifestyle outside of that parameter are not followers of Christ. People who trangress through weakness and acknowledge that what they have done is wrong and ask for forgiveness can be followers of Christ.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2016, 03:55:29 PM »

Homosexuality may be a sin in the eyes of the Christian God, but to discriminate against them means you're advocating to exclude that group of sinners while supposedly every person is a sinner according to Christian scripture. As things listed as sin is not exactly illegal under American law and that this is a secular nation, I wish Christians would be more loving of gay people.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2016, 09:45:55 AM »

Homosexuality may be a sin in the eyes of the Christian God, but to discriminate against them means you're advocating to exclude that group of sinners while supposedly every person is a sinner according to Christian scripture. As things listed as sin is not exactly illegal under American law and that this is a secular nation, I wish Christians would be more loving of gay people.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2016, 07:06:15 PM »

Homosexuality is clearly not a sin based on anything in reality. (And I'm not being a smart aleck...acting on it can't possibly be either.)

Don't validate the views of fringe Southrons and other third world countries.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2016, 06:53:44 AM »

Homosexuality is clearly not a sin based on anything in reality. (And I'm not being a smart aleck...acting on it can't possibly be either.)

Defining anything homosexual as sinful; the loving couple are sinful, their marriage is sinful, their friends supporting them support sin, their children live in a sinful home, the last kiss before one of them passes away is sinful makes sin so undefinable it really means nothing. All thought, all experience, all empathy must mean nothing or must be dismissed. If people want to dehumanise themselves in pursuit of god there's not much you can do about that
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »

Defining anything homosexual as sinful; the loving couple are sinful, their marriage is sinful, their friends supporting them support sin, their children live in a sinful home, the last kiss before one of them passes away is sinful makes sin so undefinable it really means nothing. All thought, all experience, all empathy must mean nothing or must be dismissed. If people want to dehumanise themselves in pursuit of god there's not much you can do about that

When a baker doesn't want to serve at a gay wedding, my interpretation is they'll serve one group of sinners but not another.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies