Nevada Legislator switches to Libertarian from GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:27:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nevada Legislator switches to Libertarian from GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nevada Legislator switches to Libertarian from GOP  (Read 4046 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »

Article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is reportedly the highest office a Libertarian has held.

It looks like Moore was swept in on the Sandoval wave, so it will be interesting going forward.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »

First Libertarian state legislator? Quite interesting, and certainly a big leap for the party.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 09:45:39 PM »

First Libertarian state legislator? Quite interesting, and certainly a big leap for the party.

He won by just 40 votes in 2014, so I'd be amazed if he hangs on this year. Still, a good milestone for the Libertarian Party, ephemeral as it might be.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:51:45 PM »

Enjoy it while you can.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:53:48 PM »

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/john-l-smith/new-lawmaker-law-breaker
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:54:42 PM »

Ran as a Democrat in 2012, Republican in 2014, and now a Libertarian. What a loyal party member.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »

Libertarians have apparently actually had a few state legislatures in Alaska and New Hampshire at times. The ones in Alaska may have even been elected as Libertarians, though I'm not 100% certain. (They've always been strong there, getting 10% of the vote for president in 1980 I believe.)

Moore probably won't be elected to anything ever again, but I could see him being the VP this year or their candidate in 2020.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 11:08:08 PM »

Ran as a Democrat in 2012, Republican in 2014, and now a Libertarian. What a loyal party member.

Opportunist. His sponsored bills are more in line with conservatives/Republicans, but if I had to guess, I'd say he picked whatever party was favored that year so he could ride their success into office. Worked in 2014 with basically no money spent too.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 12:22:02 AM »

Opportunist. His sponsored bills are more in line with conservatives/Republicans, but if I had to guess, I'd say he picked whatever party was favored that year so he could ride their success into office. Worked in 2014 with basically no money spent too.

Well, most politicians are opportunists to some degree...
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 12:49:18 AM »

The whole point of Virginia's post is that the guy is an opportunist to a *large* degree. Can you stop being so incredibly pedantic?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 01:02:45 AM »

Interesting!
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 01:03:56 AM »

I agree that smoltchanov is an idiot, but I'm not sure what exactly is "opportunist" about switching your affiliation to an irrelevant third party and torpedoing your own chances of getting elected.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 01:06:13 AM »

Moore is a joke candidate who won against the Nevada Democratic Party, who were pretty much a joke party in 2014. His district is heavily Democratic and in normal turnout circumstances he was going to lose 60-40 even if he was a competent incumbent. Moore probably gets less than 10% as a Libertarian.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 01:13:23 AM »

Moore is a joke candidate who won against the Nevada Democratic Party, who were pretty much a joke party in 2014. His district is heavily Democratic and in normal turnout circumstances he was going to lose 60-40 even if he was a competent incumbent. Moore probably gets less than 10% as a Libertarian.

I was thinking that myself. Even if he was in a safe-R district, it seems most voters don't pay attention to who their state rep actually is and just check D or R, which would end this guy's career permanently.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 01:37:00 AM »

I agree that smoltchanov is an idiot, but I'm not sure what exactly is "opportunist" about switching your affiliation to an irrelevant third party and torpedoing your own chances of getting elected.

I think the "opportunist" part of the party switch is the fact that the guy will almost certainly lose in 2016 (after winning by 40 votes in 2014) so he decided to make a name for himself by party switching to Libertarian.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 01:44:25 AM »

I think the "opportunist" part of the party switch is the fact that the guy will almost certainly lose in 2016 (after winning by 40 votes in 2014) so he decided to make a name for himself by party switching to Libertarian.

Yes, I was wondering. He'll be a non-entity amongst the Nevada GOP, but now he's guaranteed he'll be a big fish in the national libertarian movement for at least a decade.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 01:47:15 AM »

I just would expect someone to choose to run with the party that best represents their ideology and has a good chance of winning. He seems to have far more in common with Republicans than Democrats, so while I wouldn't really fault him for running as a Republican even though he's Libertarian, I think its slimy to base your party affiliation on who is favorable that year, even if your beliefs go hard against the party of which you are affiliating with. Most politicians do not do this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 01:50:03 AM »

Also, dude has a mugshot (mostly for unpaid traffic offenses of about $792, but still):

Also, this guy gets a nod for worst teeth in politics.

What makes it even more sad is the incumbent he beat was very well funded - Former State Rep. Jason Frierson raised around $280,000, and Moore raised exactly $800.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 03:33:52 AM »

The whole point of Virginia's post is that the guy is an opportunist to a *large* degree. Can you stop being so incredibly pedantic?

No, i can't. It's in my blood...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 03:35:22 AM »
« Edited: January 09, 2016, 04:00:58 AM by smoltchanov »

No more idiot then you are)))). Most likely - less....
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 06:39:13 AM »

Also, dude has a mugshot (mostly for unpaid traffic offenses of about $792, but still):

Also, this guy gets a nod for worst teeth in politics.

What makes it even more sad is the incumbent he beat was very well funded - Former State Rep. Jason Frierson raised around $280,000, and Moore raised exactly $800.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 08:37:36 AM »

Can we make our posts about ideas, not other posters? Smotly has contributed more to this board than most.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 10:10:40 AM »

DW Perry has found his running mate. Perry/Moore 2016!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »

DW Perry has found his running mate. Perry/Moore 2016!
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »

Can we make our posts about ideas, not other posters? Smotly has contributed more to this board than most.

Lol...YMMV on that one.  But yeah, I put him on my ignore list and will be happy to move on.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies