Mideast Senate Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:35:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Senate Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mideast Senate Debate  (Read 2111 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2005, 07:07:25 PM »
« edited: May 24, 2005, 05:57:55 AM by Akno21 »

Now that the Farmer Labor Party Conference has died down, we shall begin this debate for the Mideast Senate seat.

The candidates:

Senator MasterJedi of Wisconsin
Former Senator Texasgurl of Wisconsin
Kodratos of Illinois
Milk_and_Cereal of Michigan

A question shall be posed by a moderator, if someone has one, please PM me, and then each candidate will respond. Candidates can then ask questions of each other and debate until the topic is exhausted, meaning it has gone more than 12 hours at a time without a response.

First question.

What should the relationship be between federal and regional governments, and which powers, if any, would you like to see transfered from the federal government to the regions or vice-versa?

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 07:41:26 PM »

The federal government has the right to guarentee the health and safety of all of the people of atlasia.
including the right to lay and collect taxes to pay for this.
I believe the seperation of powers laid down in the second constitution are sufficient.
so i would not transfer ant powers between the two.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 10:58:15 PM »

The federal government has the right to guarentee the health and safety of all of the people of atlasia.

well, I disagree in one part of that statement.  The Atlasian federal government should have a very limited role.  This does not include health concerns.  I believe that should be the concern of regional governors only if the free market can not operate efficiently.  However the safety of the people is always a concern.  Regional governments have a role in providing police and protection agencies, but the Federal government has a role to protect our borders.  It would be within our best interest if we leave the Atlasian government to a limited role.  This entails, providing a military, a post office, a limited number of public works, coining money, and not much else.  Many other concerns can be dealt with more cost effectively and efficiently if done by regional governors, city officials, the free market, or the people.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 06:38:27 AM »

Well I believe the Constitution we have now is fine with distributing powers. If I was to change it though I'd take a page out of Milk_and_Cerials book. Health care should come from the regional government, not the federal gov. The federal government is not required to give health care system which I think is what Texasgurl means. The federal gov. should stay out of health care unless some kind of epidemic pops up.

Taking another page from Milk_and_Cerial the federal gov. has the job of protecting us from outward threats, regional governments have the job of protecting us from ourselves, domestic disturbences if you will. The federal gov. shouldn't get inovolved there unless it's a case of national emergency or invasion of the homeland.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 05:19:47 PM »

Bump for Kodratos, we will go on without him if neccessary and he can go back and reply to all the questions when he returns.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 05:56:22 PM »

Should the Department of the Treasury be eliminated, and if so, should it be replaced with another department?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 06:06:05 PM »

Yes I believe the position of Secretary of Treasury should be eliminated and I have personal expoerence to back that up!

Now replacing it with another position I'm not so sure. If a new position is made it should be like the Secretary of Treasury/Labor/Education all rolled into one big position. Though I would probably vote against that if it did come up.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 06:24:41 PM »

No.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 07:05:01 PM »

Please state why you believe as you do.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 07:14:33 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It does serve these very important functions.
Managing Federal finances;
Collecting taxes, duties and monies paid to and due to the U.S. and paying all bills of the U.S.;
Producing postage stamps, currency and coinage;
Managing Government accounts and the public debt;
Supervising national banks and thrift institutions;
Advising on domestic and international financial, monetary, economic, trade and tax policy;
Enforcing Federal finance and tax laws;
Investigating and prosecuting tax evaders, counterfeiters, and forgers.

Who would coin the pretty quaters without the treasury department?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 07:57:18 PM »

I think we cannot eliminate the treasury department, but we can minimize it's role.  It's role is not to tax and spend.  It's role is not to dictate monetary policy.  It's role is not to deal with the post office.

If congress has the power to coin money and regulate it, the executive parallel department has a role to enforce these laws.  Now we don't need to have pretty quarters.  Banks CAN issue their own currency, but the value of gold for which the money represents is determined in congress.

If we keep taxes down to limited regional sales taxes and temporary excise taxes, we can make sure there will be nobody that will evade the taxes, unless they refuse the product.

A final note, probably the only other good reason to have a treasury department is to prevent counterfeiting.  We can catch those who counterfeit treasury bills, and the local law enforcement would prohibit the counterfeiting of bank-produced money.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 06:17:45 PM »

What is your opinion of the various bills introduced into the Senate by Senator MasterJedi? (Senator, take this question to defend your bills)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 06:21:32 PM »

What is your opinion of the various bills introduced into the Senate by Senator MasterJedi? (Senator, take this question to defend your bills)

I'll also take this time to let my opponants respond first so I can better defend myself. Until then I let the bills and my actions speak for themselves. Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 09:15:03 PM »

The last 3 bills would get my support.
the tax equity act of 2005 however is just another gift to the very rich people who do not need anymore tax breaks and would be opposed by me.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 10:04:48 PM »

Akno21, are you refering to the bills that he specifically introduced, or the bills he has voted on?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 10:21:51 PM »

Akno21, are you refering to the bills that he specifically introduced, or the bills he has voted on?

The ones he has specifically introduced.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 11:23:32 PM »

Well, I disagree with the regions amendment, I think Montana and New Mexico are fine where they are. 
I disagree with Puerto Rico statehood.
Tax equity and Secret Ballot are okay
I disagree with the National Parks plan because the third part of section 2 entails eminent domain-something I feel is wrong even if the government compensates.
The drug plan I have a few questions about.
Why are commercial enterprizes not allowed to reimport drugs?
Why are drugs not able to be purchased wholesale?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2005, 11:37:20 PM »

I am enjoying this debate, but I have to work all day tomorrow.  Can we resume this on Friday, so I don't miss any questions?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 05:51:40 AM »

I am enjoying this debate, but I have to work all day tomorrow.  Can we resume this on Friday, so I don't miss any questions?

Sure.

No new questions will be put forth before Friday. Candidates are welcome to debate already asked qustions in the meantime.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 06:30:42 AM »

First I'd lik to say is that the regions amendment isn't mine anymore, I will vote against it.

The Tax Equality Act of 2005 is a way to make the tax system fairer for everyone and make the red tape and buerocracy a lot less present. A flat tax would also help keep track of the huge group of people that try to cheat the government out of their taxes.

I don't have anything to say about the National Parks plan at the moment or on the Perscription drug plan either.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 03:43:24 PM »

What is your opinion of the Senate Residency Requirement Amendment?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 03:45:50 PM »

Well since I voted Nay on it you know my position but I'll take the time to explain. Carpetbaggin is bad yes but the Senate shouldn't be the one that cracks down on it, the people should. In the end it should be the residents of a certain Region/District that should decide if they want a carpetbagger or not, not the Senate.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 03:49:45 PM »

The senate residency requirement act needlesy makes it harder for ordinary people to run for office and should be vetoed.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 03:52:49 PM »

well I disagree with the two months part of it, I think that this discourages upcomers (yours truly) from participating in democracy to the fullest extent.  I think that perhaps a higher post requirement would better serve to prove competency.  As far as regional requirements, there should be a minimal set time for moving.  Perhaps two weeks to help the candidate better understand their constituency.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 03:54:45 PM »

Well since I voted Nay on it you know my position but I'll take the time to explain. Carpetbaggin is bad yes but the Senate shouldn't be the one that cracks down on it, the people should. In the end it should be the residents of a certain Region/District that should decide if they want a carpetbagger or not, not the Senate.

I agree completely.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies