Where would you rather live?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:01:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where would you rather live?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Where would you rather live?
An >80% Obama precinct in Des Moines

A Romney precinct in NYC

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Where would you rather live?  (Read 1188 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »

Also Des Moines doesn't have a parade honoring a genocidal, mass murdering rapist piece of sh!t every October.
Only in BRTD's world is this important for people when deciding whether they should live in Des Moines or in NYC Roll Eyes

The point is that Des Moines is one of those Midwestern "all liberal, all the time" cities, while in NYC that's only true in certain neighborhoods, and this poll is not about those neighborhoods.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 12:37:49 PM »

Also Des Moines doesn't have a parade honoring a genocidal, mass murdering rapist piece of sh!t every October.
Only in BRTD's world is this important for people when deciding whether they should live in Des Moines or in NYC Roll Eyes

The point is that Des Moines is one of those Midwestern "all liberal, all the time" cities, while in NYC that's only true in certain neighborhoods, and this poll is not about those neighborhoods.

You realize that a hefty chunk of people who are sitting in a beer garden or outside of a coffee shop on any given day are probably affluent Republicans who just, ya know, drive to those places?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »

You realize that a hefty chunk of people who are sitting in a beer garden or outside of a coffee shop on any given day are probably affluent Republicans who just, ya know, drive to those places?

I live in a neighborhood that has tons of those type of places, and if it wasn't January and thus they actually had people outside now I'd go take some pictures and say "You think THESE people are Republicans?" Because they mostly look like they could be characters on Girls.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 02:50:29 PM »

I live in a neighborhood that has tons of those type of places, and if it wasn't January and thus they actually had people outside now I'd go take some pictures and say "You think THESE people are Republicans?" Because they mostly look like they could be characters on Girls.

My friends and I are mostly Republicans.  Because the GOP benefits us more than the Democrats do.  I promise you we look like normal, cool guys in the bars we hang out in and don't act like characters on Girls (whatever the hell that is).  We also love hanging out in places like downtown Des Moines, downtown Chicago, downtown Iowa City, downtown Champaign, etc., all places that voted for Obama twice.  How on EARTH do we cope with being in such a place?!
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 03:04:29 PM »

Tom, you're wasting your time. BRTD has already decided how he thinks the world is, and no amount of logic and facts will change that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 11:35:18 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2016, 11:44:01 PM by White Light »

My friends and I are mostly Republicans.  Because the GOP benefits us more than the Democrats do.  I promise you we look like normal, cool guys in the bars we hang out in and don't act like characters on Girls (whatever the hell that is).  We also love hanging out in places like downtown Des Moines, downtown Chicago, downtown Iowa City, downtown Champaign, etc., all places that voted for Obama twice.  How on EARTH do we cope with being in such a place?!

I'm willing to bet you guys look more like bros than hipsters or stoners. You just said yourself you don't look like characters on Girls. What I'm saying is that most people at such places around here look like the people in this video who are very obviously not Republicans and obviously wouldn't be even if they weren't moshing to a very SJW band.

But anyway, this is how where I live voted in 2012:

Republican      MITT ROMNEY AND PAUL RYAN   162   8.15%   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor      BARACK OBAMA AND JOE BIDEN   1711   86.07%   

...so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume I don't run into too many Republicans.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 01:53:41 AM »

I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to live in a neighborhood where almost everyone is a member of a very conservative religious group if you are not a member of that group. Living in a community where you are a small minority can be uncomfortable.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 01:57:31 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2016, 02:07:47 AM by MW Representative RFayette »

I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to live in a neighborhood where almost everyone is a member of a very conservative religious group if you are not a member of that group. Living in a community where you are a small minority can be uncomfortable.

Agreed.  While I'd love to live in Northwest Iowa or an Evangelical enclave in the rural South or Southwest, I'd absolutely loathe to live in an equally-conservative Hasidic or Mormon area (especially the former, in which there's all the stresses/high cost of city life along with being around a bunch of people with very different, though quite strong, religious beliefs).  I'd prefer a more secular area to one where the viewpoint is religious but in a very different direction.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 02:04:07 AM »

Tom is right of course. I too tend to hang out in the most liberal pockets of Philadelphia (despite not residing there yet.) But unlike you, I also dress the part of course!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 04:23:45 PM »

I still haven't gotten over my slight obsession with Iowa, so I'll go with Des Moines. I wouldn't mind living in a Romney part of NYC if it's in Brooklyn though.

Huh, I didn't expect that to get emptyquoted.

You guys realize there are far more cool things in Des Moines than in the Romney voting parts of NYC?

Basically you have Staten Island (if anything cool does happen there it'd be on the D-voting North Shore), a bunch of Hasidic and Russian neighborhoods in southern Brooklyn and some neighborhoods in Queens that are a bunch of Italian olds. You aren't going to have any scene or shows or cool bars or coffee shops in such places. Far more in Des Moines.

I've been to a Russian neighborhood in Brooklyn. It's kind of cool if you're into Russian things. It was a long time ago though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies