Istanbul bombing - 10+ killed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:48:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Istanbul bombing - 10+ killed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Istanbul bombing - 10+ killed  (Read 967 times)
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »

Suicide bomb attack in front of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul leaves 10+ killed, mostly German tourists. After the Köln events, expect AfD to gobble up CDU and SPD support in the coming weeks...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:35:54 AM »

Just in case there were a few Germans left that didn't hate Islam yet?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 12:05:06 AM »

Just in case there were a few Germans left that didn't hate Islam yet?
There are, like, a lot of Germans who don't hate Islam -- probably many more, in terms of percentage, than in all of its surrounding countries...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2016, 04:57:21 PM by Simfan34 »

Why bomb a (Sunni) mosque?
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »

The mosque was not bombed, rather the square in front of it where many tourists just sit around or wander. It was an attack on Western tourists above anything else.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:53:53 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2016, 09:59:40 PM by Benwah [why on Earth do I post something] Courseyay »

Did IS officially claimed it?

I didn't follow it closely, and I heard nothing about that, and they always claim for what they do, and even when they haven't planned like for something like San Bernardino, they manage to make it clear that they didn't decide it but still officially endorse it...

Well, they could very well have made it, the more you spread terror, the better.

Especially against Westerners, especially against tourism in countries where it is economically very important, like Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey, and well, the most touristic one in the world, France, with the most touristic city in the world, Paris...

'Amusing' that in all cases it always benefits to our fancy blonde blunt national one (do I have to tell her name?), since one of her big economical tag words was 'they want to change France into a big touristic park!'.

Fact is, one of the big economical perspectives of this French govt was 'We have 80 millions tourists a year? We can reach 100 millions in the coming years.'

30 millions tourists a year for Paris, and well, big decrease after attacks, would be down by arround 30% lately iirc.

(I managed to hijack it toward France again. Grin)

Well, very tough for a country like Tunisia for example, after the attack on the beach it decreased by about 80% iirc, in a country where tourism is very important, at least 10% of GDP iirc.

I haven't heard any figures for Turkey so far, would be too early, but could become tough for them too, but personally, I was pretty pissed by the reactions I heard from French and German administrations for example:

'We ask people to stop to go there.'

F**k, people aren't little clueless sheep, should be up to them they want to go as long as it's allowed by the country in which they go.

Moreover they are not helping countries touched by that, and it makes leaders of those, such as Turkey or Egypt, still more trolling around...

And, here we are in that wonderful tricky Turkish Erdoganish kingdom, and it's not easy not to turn paranoid with such fancy people/trolls...

Hmm...

I made a quick Google search to try to answer my first question before posting, and it confirmed all what I thought, IS never claimed for any terror attack in Turkey, and several big ones happened during 2015, never claimed.

I found an interesting article on Slate.fr that confirmed all of this for me:

http://www.slate.fr/story/112791/daech-attentats-turquie

Here for French speaking eyes.

They notably pointed out that they quickly claimed for terror attacks that recently happened in Jalalabad, Afghanistan, and Jakarta, Indonesia, and they did that 2 days after the Istanbul attack, and not a word for that one.

In that quite interesting article, in which you can find 2 of 3 best guys in France to speak about EI/'Jihadism' (Wassim Nasr, France24, Romain Caillet, analyst, 3rd one being David Thompson, notably working for Radio France), they try to analyse and to find WHY OH WHY??!!

And really, when you try to look at all parameters, all contexts, in something as tricky as Erdogan parallel universe it's really not easy to find something clear.

You can at the very least notably see what a Turkish political analyst pointed out, during the 3 big enough terror attacks during 2015 in Turkey, it always benefited to AKP, and always been something bad for AKP political opponents.

But might not be as simple as that either...

Then the article tries to point out that some individuals could have decided that by themselves, but still, IS already endorsed several unplaned initiatives, and according to what Turkish authorities show, it's a whole cell that is under arrest for that last terror attack, then it would show an a significant organization.

So maybe you can say that IS claim for what it's the most strategical for them to claim, and the relationship they have with Turkey is very strategical, article well pointed this out too, for both economy and their 'international logistic', and they can try to play with that too...

And Turkey would, since the beginning apparently, play a very dangerous game with them, eventually playing with that very dangerous fire, sometimes maybe more or less letting them do, to eventually, who knows, sometimes helping them...

Crazy how that place, Turkey, and its brilliant administration, manage to totally sicken themselves...
swl
France

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 07:20:35 AM »

Two remarks:
The following day a terrorist attack conducted by the PKK killed several people in the east of Turkey. It got less attention from western media, but western countries must be more understanding of the Turkish point of view: PKK terrorism has killed many more people than ISIS in Turkey.
Second, Turkey has conducted artillery strikes across the border with Syria against ISIS positions, and these strikes were quite efficient. It would be a great blow to ISIS if Turkey extended its operations in Syria.
In conclusion, knowing that the Kurds will protect their regions but will not venture in Arab areas, Turkey remains the West best ally in this conflict, and we have to listen more to their worries and accommodate them.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 11:21:23 AM »

Two remarks:
The following day a terrorist attack conducted by the PKK killed several people in the east of Turkey. It got less attention from western media, but western countries must be more understanding of the Turkish point of view: PKK terrorism has killed many more people than ISIS in Turkey.
Second, Turkey has conducted artillery strikes across the border with Syria against ISIS positions, and these strikes were quite efficient. It would be a great blow to ISIS if Turkey extended its operations in Syria.
In conclusion, knowing that the Kurds will protect their regions but will not venture in Arab areas, Turkey remains the West best ally in this conflict, and we have to listen more to their worries and accommodate them.

Gosh, a communicate from the Turkish embassy?

That's almost word for word what they can try to spout out on TVs here...

Seriously, I'm not sure I should engage into something that has the potentiality to turn into a never ending thing, but, well, seems my fingers continue to type this keyboard in this window.

French Résistance was called 'terrorists' by Nazis (hello Goodwin! sorry but I'm French, and too tired to find for a better reference, and that one well makes the point, and I'm not saying Turks are Nazis).

Oh wait, let's find closer, FLN was called 'terrorists' by French, they won and been the base of the new Algerian country for a while now.

Oh wait, Americans were called 'terrorists' by Irakis.

Oh wait, Shiah militias are called terrorists by IS.

Oh wait, IS are called terrorists by, well, almost everybody in the world?

(well, seems they're gaining popularity though, aren't they?...)

(goodbye Goodwin!)

You got my point anyhow.

The discussion can only be about the legitimacy of PKK cause and means, and frankly I'm not here to discuss PKK but IS.

But we can discuss PKK in regard to IS and wonder about the fact that Turkey would be playing with fire with a very dangerous new terrorist group to try to get rid of their historical ennemy, regardless the Kurd question was on a rather positive political trend before the Syrian mess.

The image of Turkish chars watching what's happening in Kobane might make History (though, 'History', is like 'terrorists' we might write different encyclopedia).

The very complete article I posted mentioned the strikes you spoke about, and that's why all those rather good analysts, some French and Turks, were quite lost to try to explain why on Earth none of the terror attacks attributed to IS in Turkey have been claimed, given they have been quite big 'successes', and given IS habits.

You can only notice that they both can indirectly find benefits in them, and not slight ones for AKP.

The very least you can try to imagine is that IS might eventually be doing with Turkey what Turkey would be doing with them, playing with each other for purely strategical self interests.

Both maybe alternatively playing 'good cop/bad cop' actions toward each other.

I that sense I personally have a very hard time to try to see that self sickening Turkish regime (not to speak about that 'eventually' serious democratic issues going over and over in Turkey...), as 'the best Western ally in Arab areas'.

Turkey, to me, is a country which is as much at risk than any of the countries in the Middle-East in a very close future, and that brilliant wanna be Sultan of Trolls Erdogan (I loved to see him turning totally pitiful while trying to fight against one of the biggest troll in History few weeks ago, do I have to mention his name?) is doing everything to screw it, at all levels.

If they want better understanding then they, from my awful Westerner point, should eventually have a better understanding from their own reality.

Middle-East hasn't finished to unfreeze, and the Western freezer is totally broken...

When was that treaty supposed to rule the Kurd question? In which country has it been signed?

You know it was in that city of which I don't know why I always found it had an elegant name, 'Sčvres', maybe because I always unconsciously associated it to porcelaine, when my grand-father taught me about that when he made me and my bros discovering Paris as kids...

(hey, I manage to hijack to France again! You can't help, it's just the center of the World, look at a map...)

Oh and, f**k, why everything nowadays has to bring me back to the 1910s, it's not helping...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 12:19:22 AM »

Sorry Benwah, but I think your posts are really unreadable. I always get lost sooner or later, and that's not because I don't try.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 07:28:10 AM »

Sorry Benwah, but I think your posts are really unreadable. I always get lost sooner or later, and that's not because I don't try.
Agreed.  While I don't generally agree with Benwah (you know your name is a sex toy right?), I enjoy his perspective....but that long rambling stuff is hard to read.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies