Santorum COLLAPSES, now tied with Gilmore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:41:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Santorum COLLAPSES, now tied with Gilmore
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Santorum COLLAPSES, now tied with Gilmore  (Read 2424 times)
andrew_c
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 01:44:40 AM »

Santorum did well in 2012 only because he was the anti-Romney.
DS0816
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 07:22:46 AM »

If Rick Santorum would finally come out, he could bolster support from gay Republicans including those who post on this site.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »

I've never really understood why socially conservative and religiously minded voters (who obviously make up a big segment of the GOP primary electorate these days) didn't give Santorum a look in this year - sure, he doesn't have much money backing him, but he had the name recognition from 2012, plenty of congressional experience and is pretty articulate and authentic. Meh, guess it shows how much I know.

Religious conservatives have, in Ted Cruz, a guy they see as being able to be nominated, and, in Ben Carson, a guy who's been a folk-hero in Evangelical circles for a long time.

Santorum's a guy who filled a void in 2012.  That void isn't there now.  On top of that, he's an Opus Dei Catholic, so he's not really the Evangelicals' cup of tea.  Evangelicals will vote for conservative Catholics or Mormons based on agreement on social issues, but the theological divide between Evangelicals and both Catholics and Mormons is large enough to where many Evangelicals don't even consider Catholics to be "in the Faith".  (Evangelicals almost entirely believe that Mormons are not Christians, and many prominent Evangelical pastors scrubbed their websites of this discussion in 2012 when Mitt Romney was nominated.)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »

If any of you guys get polled, do me a favor and say that you're supporting me for the Republican primary. That way, I'll be doing better in the polls than a former governor of a swing state.
Out of curiosity, are you (pretending to be) running as a Republican?

I don't have the $5,000 required to file paperwork, and I'm 22 years under the requirement, but that's what write in campaigns are for.

You're 13?

Yes. Why?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »

If any of you guys get polled, do me a favor and say that you're supporting me for the Republican primary. That way, I'll be doing better in the polls than a former governor of a swing state.

I don't have the $5,000 required to file paperwork, and I'm 22 years under the requirement, but that's what write in campaigns are for.

You're 13?

Yes. Why?

If I had known about electionatlas when I was 13 I probably would have been posting here too, although I definitely wasn't as well informed on elections then as I was by the time I started posting maps nine years ago at 17.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »

You're 13?

Yes. Why?
Wow!  You were a little kid when Obama took office.  Your memories of Bush 43 are like my memories of Nixon!
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 12:33:33 PM »

You're 13?

Yes. Why?
Wow!  You were a little kid when Obama took office.  Your memories of Bush 43 are like my memories of Nixon!

Yes, but I've never mentioned Bush 43, have I?
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 12:35:29 PM »

You're 13?

Yes. Why?

Yes, but I've never mentioned Bush 43, have I?
It makes me feel old...
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 12:51:13 PM »

This pretty much confirms that Santorum's success in 2012 was a fluke. He just happened to be the absolute last "Not-Romney" left when voting actually began, and his success was basically a placeholder for a non-existent good conservative challenger to Romney. Basically, he was in the right place at the right time and got lucky.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2016, 03:08:37 PM »

This pretty much confirms that Santorum's success in 2012 was a fluke. He just happened to be the absolute last "Not-Romney" left when voting actually began, and his success was basically a placeholder for a non-existent good conservative challenger to Romney. Basically, he was in the right place at the right time and got lucky.

And he still managed to win 11 states! That race would have gone until June if Romney had actually faced competent opposition rather than third-rate has-beens like Santorum and Gingrich.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies