Washington Post: Ted Cruz not eligible to run for president
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:41:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Washington Post: Ted Cruz not eligible to run for president
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Washington Post: Ted Cruz not eligible to run for president  (Read 2347 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:37:57 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ted-cruz-is-not-eligible-to-be-president/2016/01/12/1484a7d0-b7af-11e5-99f3-184bc379b12d_story.html?tid=ss_tw

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Cruz is in serious trouble.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:43:25 PM »

I guess it could hurt him in the primary among non-hypocritical birthers, generic nationalists, and people with this view of the Constitution if it becomes more widely publicized that he was born in Canada, but otherwise I don't see this having any effect on the election.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:46:52 PM »

I guess it could hurt him in the primary among non-hypocritical birthers, generic nationalists, and people with this view of the Constitution if it becomes more widely publicized that he was born in Canada, but otherwise I don't see this having any effect on the election.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »

This is but one opinion from a professor of the most august law school in well, maybe Delaware maybe not, that I have never heard of, and she's 100% wrong to suggest anything other than the chances SCOTUS will ever so hold as she suggests are de minimus to none. The headline and everything else is horribly false and misleading. Here is the author's resume:

Mary Brigid McManamon is a constitutional law professor at Widener University’s Delaware Law School.

If you have ever heard of "Widener University" raise your hand, or forever hold your peace.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:12:35 PM »

This is but one opinion from a professor of the most august law school in well, maybe Delaware maybe not, that I have never heard of, and she's 100% wrong to suggest anything other than the chances SCOTUS will ever so hold as she suggests are de minimus to none. The headline and everything else is horribly false and misleading. Here is the author's resume:

Mary Brigid McManamon is a constitutional law professor at Widener University’s Delaware Law School.

If you have ever heard of "Widener University" raise your hand, or forever hold your peace.

Here is the rest of her biography.

Mary Brigid McManamon is a Professor of Law at Widener Law Delaware. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Yale University in history. Her Doctor of Law degree was awarded by Cornell University, where she served as a managing editor of the Cornell International Law Journal.

If you have ever heard of "Yale University" or "Cornell University" raise your hand or forever hold your peace.

Anyway, your university elitist nonsense is a bit worrying, and suggests you are not in touch with reality anymore. The quality of a legal scholar or any type of academic does not come from what school they happen to teach at. Keep in mind Harvard has Niall Ferguson and Larry Lessig on their payroll...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:22:05 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2016, 07:34:17 PM by smilo »

I obviously have, and it's not just because I presently live in the same county as I had well before that (and there are plenty around here that I had not heard of prior to the move)... you sure you live in the Mid-Atlantic? Because I'm starting to think Hudson is not in New York. No Trump, No Widener, what else? Clearly, you're still in Cali at heart.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 07:31:16 PM »

Can't stand Cruz, but I haven't seen any compelling reason to say that he isn't a citizen.

He was elected to the senate without a problem. If he really wasn't a natural born citizen and wasn't naturalized, wouldn't he have been ineligible to become a senator?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 07:32:14 PM »

Can't stand Cruz, but I haven't seen any compelling reason to say that he isn't a citizen.

He was elected to the senate without a problem. If he really wasn't a natural born citizen and wasn't naturalized, wouldn't he have been ineligible to become a senator?

Not being a natural-born citizen =/= not naturalized.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 07:37:13 PM »

We have four current senators born outside the country, including Ted Cruz. However, Ted Cruz was a citizen by birthright, so I don't see any problems. In fact, the only senator who isn't a citizen by birthright is Mazie Hirono of Hawaii.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 07:39:13 PM »

I'm saying that if he wasn't a natural born citizen, he would have to have been naturalized in order to be a senator. Since he hasn't been naturalized (and therefore would have to have been a citizen from birth) and there were no issues with him becoming a senator, there shouldn't be any legal issues with him becoming president.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 07:42:26 PM »

I'm saying that if he wasn't a natural born citizen, he would have to have been naturalized in order to be a senator. Since he hasn't been naturalized (and therefore would have to have been a citizen from birth) and there were no issues with him becoming a senator, there shouldn't be any legal issues with him becoming president.

Did you read the article? The author contends that Cruz was naturalized at birth due to his parentage, thus making him a citizen, but that by virtue of his birth location is not a "natural born citizen", a subset of citizen that never requires undergoing the naturalization process even if that process is contemporaneous with birth.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 07:47:22 PM »

We have four current senators born outside the country, including Ted Cruz. However, Ted Cruz was a citizen by birthright, so I don't see any problems. In fact, the only senator who isn't a citizen by birthright is Mazie Hirono of Hawaii.

Exactly. Someone like Jim Hines (D-CT-4), whose parents were American citizens (and civilians) living in Peru at the time of his birth, would be a natural born citizen and thus eligible for his office and also that of the President. The same goes for Cruz. I think it would be even less debated in the case of someone like Michael Bennet (D-CO), whose father worked for the State Department when Bennet was born in India.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 07:53:16 PM »

Did you read the article? The author contends that Cruz was naturalized at birth due to his parentage, thus making him a citizen, but that by virtue of his birth location is not a "natural born citizen", a subset of citizen that never requires undergoing the naturalization process even if that process is contemporaneous with birth.

I did. And my response to its major point is the "Hamilton loophole."

Article 2, section 1.5

My thought is that (if we're going to try to parse out exactly what the framers intended) if someone like Alexander Hamilton was eligible, then place of birth didn't necessarily matter to the founders. Cruz, with his American mother, was born abroad as a citizen of the US, which to me says that the founders would have considered him a natural born citizen, no matter where he was born.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 08:07:35 PM »

This is already hurting him. His numbers are sliding in Iowa. Why do you think he's suddenly desperately attacking TRUMP in the past 24 hours? So few Republican voters had any idea he wasn't born in the United States.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »

The Hamilton Loophole is the part that says "Or a Citizen of the United States at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution." Hamilton was a citizen in 1788, therefore he was eligible to run.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 08:56:21 PM »

Here is the rest of her biography.

Mary Brigid McManamon is a Professor of Law at Widener Law Delaware. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Yale University in history. Her Doctor of Law degree was awarded by Cornell University, where she served as a managing editor of the Cornell International Law Journal.

If you have ever heard of "Yale University" or "Cornell University" raise your hand or forever hold your peace.

Anyway, your university elitist nonsense is a bit worrying, and suggests you are not in touch with reality anymore. The quality of a legal scholar or any type of academic does not come from what school they happen to teach at. Keep in mind Harvard has Niall Ferguson and Larry Lessig on their payroll...

That's fine, but her pathetic conclusory opinion, not argued with any substantive law, other than the text without context or subsequent court decisions, is just not up to the standard of my profession. It totally sucks as any "skeleton" (that's Brit legal parlance) of a legal brief. Most legal scholars think there is no real issue about Cruz's eligibility to be POTUS. So combine the outlier opinion, with this law school I have never heard of, and I chose to wear my elitist suit as my sartorial presentation on this one. Frankly I am embarrassed for her. Obviously she does not care much about her professional reputation.

Hey, if this BS takes Cruz down, I'm a happy camper. I am more worried about him getting the Pub nomination, than Trump, who I am more confident can be contained at the end of the day. But it's just wrong.

Nobody took seriously any issue about McCain btw. What's different about this one?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 10:28:33 PM »

Torie,

McCain was born on a U.S. military base to two U.S. citizen parents.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada to a U.S. citizen and a non-citizen parent.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 10:35:27 PM »

Looks like Tender Branson owes Lief an apology.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 10:39:22 PM »

Looks like Tender Branson owes Lief an apology.

In lieu of an apology, I will accept his immediate resignation as moderator.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 10:51:08 PM »

This is but one opinion from a professor of the most august law school in well, maybe Delaware maybe not, that I have never heard of,

It is absolutely without question the worst, lowest-rated law school in the entire state.

It is also the only law school in the state.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 10:51:43 PM »

This is a very stupid non-issue that should be thrown out in the trash where it belongs.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 10:53:33 PM »

This is a very stupid non-issue that should be thrown out in the trash where it belongs.

Definitely. It's shameful that Democrats are playing into this after being subjected to it for 7 years.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »

Eh maybe it's a non-issue legally, but it is a major issue for the voters of Iowa. The people of Iowa are not stupid.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 10:55:51 PM »

Your sig says you Stand With Rand. Well...

Quote from: Restricted

EDIT: Also, today Iowa Senator Joni Ernst joined the growing list of politicians unsure whether or not Ted Cruz is eligible to run.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 10:56:10 PM »

Eh maybe it's a non-issue legally, but it is a major issue for the voters of Iowa. The people of Iowa are not stupid.

According to Trump they are....
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies