Opinion of the Rams moving back to LA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:54:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of the Rams moving back to LA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Freedom move or horrible move?
FM

HM

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Opinion of the Rams moving back to LA?  (Read 3386 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2016, 10:40:33 PM »

Horrible move in my opinion. LA can't keep a team in the first place, and if you're going to sacrifice a team to moving there, give it to a small market (and generally unlikeable) team like the Raiders.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »

The state of Missouri and the city of St Louis simply couldn't come up with the extortion money the owner demanded, sad really.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:17:14 AM »

Being from St.Louis I have a lot of FB friends that still live in the area.  Almost none of them care.  The only ones that have bitched have bitched because "aww man, the Bills were coming to town next year!" and "damn it, now I'll have to drive somewhere to get my yearly 49ers fix".  STL is not a football town, never was, never will be.  Baseball, all day with a little love left over for the Blues.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:53:19 AM »

Horrible move in my opinion. LA can't keep a team in the first place, and if you're going to sacrifice a team to moving there, give it to a small market (and generally unlikeable) team like the Raiders.

East Bay Pride yo.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:16:15 AM »

Don't particularly care about the Rams (though having the NFC West make geographic sense is nice) but I'm interested to see what the second team will end up being. I'm also curious to know how the stadium's being funded, and whether it's going to close to the new Crenshaw line.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:43:53 AM »

St. Louis is a baseball town that doesn't care much about football. LA should definitely have an NFL team. Definite Freedom Move.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 01:30:11 PM »

LA needs an expansion team for a fresh start. This is not that
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »

Horrible Move.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 03:15:54 PM »

Those of you voting HM do realize it's Missouri they're moving out of, right? 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »

It was probably destined to happen some day. The move to St Louis was shaky and fraught with question marks. FM.

The Rams absolutely, positively 100% need to go back to their older uniforms/colors consisting of yellow and navy, although the jersey was more of a dark royal. It was weird. The blue on the jersey did not match the blue on the helmet, but the yellow matched. It was just enough to make you look twice. Haha.

Ahh, the John Robinson days. Smiley Rams at Bears in the '85 NFC title game. Bears won 24-0 in the cold. All those Rams/49ers games where Joe Montana just always got the best of them (their relationship to the 49ers was like the Bengals' relationship to the Steelers - the "little brother" who just can't beat the big brother). Yeah, good to see the Rams back in L.A. It always seemed like the Rams had unfinished business there as "Hollywood's team."

Yes, St. Louis is a baseball town. Been there a couple times and you see Cardinals plus a little Royals and Tigers. Not a trace of football. Want a football town? Try Pittsburgh. They start the countdown to training camp in like February.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »

LA is the second largest city in the US.  Why don't they deserve an NFL team?

That being said, I'd rather the Jaguars made the move.  Jacksonville doesn't seem like a good place for a pro sports team IMO.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »

Don't particularly care about the Rams (though having the NFC West make geographic sense is nice) but I'm interested to see what the second team will end up being. I'm also curious to know how the stadium's being funded, and whether it's going to close to the new Crenshaw line.
The NFC East doesn't make much geographic sense with my Cowboys, either.  And are they even planning on having a second LA team?  I'm not sure they need more than one.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 05:26:29 PM »

I've always thought it admirable that the good people of St. Louis don't care about professional football even a little bit.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 05:30:58 PM »

LAX is perfect venue for sports franchise. Aside from Dodgers, Kings & Clippers
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »

LAX is perfect venue for sports franchise. Aside from Dodgers, Kings & Clippers

LOL! Also the Angels and Lakers tho.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 07:15:55 PM »

LA is the second largest city in the US.  Why don't they deserve an NFL team?

That being said, I'd rather the Jaguars made the move.  Jacksonville doesn't seem like a good place for a pro sports team IMO.

They do. An expansion one rather than one of the current ones. St. Louis and Missouri may pose a legal fight.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 07:30:51 PM »

And are they even planning on having a second LA team?  I'm not sure they need more than one.

The Chargers have been given a year to decide if they're going to join the Rams in LA.  If they decline, then the Raiders may go instead.  Most likely the new stadium they're going to build there will house the Rams plus whichever of the other two teams wants to join them.

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »

Freedom Move.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 10:52:48 PM »

I think the Raiders should have been moved to LA instead of the Rams.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 11:08:45 PM »

I think the Raiders should have been moved to LA instead of the Rams.

OH MY GOD WE AGREE ON SOMETHING Surprise
pikachu
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 12:28:05 AM »

The NFC East doesn't make much geographic sense with my Cowboys, either.  And are they even planning on having a second LA team?  I'm not sure they need more than one.

Tbf, the rest of the NFC East hates the Cowboys, so it works out well as an exception.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 01:51:11 AM »

Yeah, why on earth would they go from 1 to 2? Why can't they settle for one? Surely they'd accept that after, you know, over 20 years of zero teams?

Are they allergic to odd numbers in LA?

If you really want two teams, why not move one team and then, if that goes well, move the second to LA?

And I've always been baffled as to how Dallas is in the East, St. Louis was in the West, and Indianapolis was in the South. I guess it's more about rivalries than geography.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 02:13:36 AM »

Yeah, why on earth would they go from 1 to 2? Why can't they settle for one? Surely they'd accept that after, you know, over 20 years of zero teams?

If you really want two teams, why not move one team and then, if that goes well, move the second to LA?

And I've always been baffled as to how Dallas is in the East, St. Louis was in the West, and Indianapolis was in the South. I guess it's more about rivalries than geography.

I think the rationale is that

a) LA's massive. A metropolitan area with half of LA's population would still be the fifth largest in the country. Just in sheer population, a second franchise can be easily sustained, and has the potential to be quite successful.

and b) Every other league does it, and the franchise values for them tend to work out. According to Forbes, the NHL has the Kings and Ducks as the 9th and 16th most valuable, Lakers and Clippers at 1st and 5th, and the Dodgers and Angels at 2nd and 8th. Assuming both franchises are competently run, they'll be worth a lot more in LA. 
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 02:39:31 AM »

I think the rationale is that

a) LA's massive. A metropolitan area with half of LA's population would still be the fifth largest in the country. Just in sheer population, a second franchise can be easily sustained, and has the potential to be quite successful.

and b) Every other league does it, and the franchise values for them tend to work out. According to Forbes, the NHL has the Kings and Ducks as the 9th and 16th most valuable, Lakers and Clippers at 1st and 5th, and the Dodgers and Angels at 2nd and 8th. Assuming both franchises are competently run, they'll be worth a lot more in LA. 

I get those points and generally agree, but it's still bizarre to not move a team there for two decades and then all of a sudden add 2.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies